Skogarfoss, Iceland

MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 11, 2010 in Landscapes
One of the waterfalls we visited during our 2-and-a-bit weeks in Iceland last May. A rare sunny day - and unfortunately our designated waterfalls day!! Grrr... oh well, what can you do.

Many of the scenic areas in Iceland are easily accessible by car (4WD not necessarily required) and are located off the main Ring Road 1. The scenery is nothing like I have ever seen before, and because the ice was melting, there were SO many waterfalls with a LOT of water. It was just incredible. It felt so surreal, like we were driving through some sort of CGI set, waiting to wake up to the real world.

We are planning a return visit this year in August to catch the end of Summer, and hopefully the images will have a lot more greenery in them. In May it looked quite stark and desolate as the grasses had died over winter.

784930920_uvSzX-L.jpg

That's my husband there in the bottom RHS corner. :D

722963096_DtDuy-L.jpg

This last image was a panoramic HDR blend. I think it was something like 18 shots in total. A lot of PP work. :rolleyes If you squint enough you might be able to see the two people at the top of the falls, on the RHS. The path meanders up and is boardwalked/has steps.

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Beautiful shots...I really like the 1st image with your husband perfectly positioned under the rainbow! :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    This is just incredible! I didn't even notice your husband until Mahesh pointed him out, but what a nice touch. :D Even if it was sunny, it caused that rainbow. So there's a good side to everything. thumb.gif

I also wouldn't have noticed the two hikers in the pano if you hadn't mentioned them, but I'm glad you do. They really show just how huge the falls are!
  • MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Cheers for the comments - and yes, there wouldn't have been a rainbow if it wasn't sunny. Always a bright side to everything, agreed. :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Very very cool capturethumb.gifthumb.gif
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Doesn't even look like a waterfall should be there at all. Pretty amazing.
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    #1 is spectacular!!! thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Very nice. With all the cloudcover typically, I imagine a picture of the falls with a rainbow is harder to come by! Excellent captures. Did you make it up to the top of the falls, btw?

I was in Iceland this past September, and yep you guessed it, it was green throughout with moss. It was a surreal landscape. You would enjoy your return visit there in August!
  • MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

Dan - no I didn't climb up, it was quite windy (as you might be able to see from all the spray), but my husband went up there and he has some pretty nice shots of it disappearing over the edge. I am looking forward very much to returning there in August, so thanks for the comment - now I'm really excited!!
  • rockfordrockford Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Great Shots ! ! !

Do yourself a favor when you return, treat yourself to a Rack Of Lamb diner
    at the Loftleider Hotel. The best you will ever have, the best.

Loftleider Icelandic Airlines is there national airlines.