How do I change the EV of a shot?

limited60limited60 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited February 10, 2010 in Technique
I'm going to grapple with the few techincal terms I haeva slight handle on in order to pose this question properly, so forgive me if it makes hardly any sense.

I have a D90 and bracketing 3 exposures is a cinch.

I also have a D40 but I have no idea how to chage the EV of an exposure....which led me to wonder, if the bracketing options of the D90 weren't there, what is it that I'd need to do to "manually" change the EV + or - for a shot?

I am looking for a way to manipulate the histogram just to practice working with different exposures and exposure values. (kind of like KR did in this tutorial: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/histograms.htm )

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    In order to do it without the camera thinking you through it, would be to shoot in manual.... set the exposure and while maintaining a constant shutter speed or aperture, adjust the other up and down.

ie; set shutter speed then "tweek" the aperture (and viceversa).
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    In order to do it without the camera thinking you through it, would be to shoot in manual.... set the exposure and while maintaining a constant shutter speed or aperture, adjust the other up and down.

ie; set shutter speed then "tweek" the aperture (and viceversa).

D'Buggs is right about that being the easiest I think. Alternately, if memory serves me correctly you've got an exposure compensation button near the shutter button with a + and - sign on it. Push it, then rotate the dial one direction or the other. On the screen you'll see an indication if your next shot will be over or under exposed according to what the camera thinks is the correct exposure.

Manual is faster though, and also it is possible for the meter to read a scene slightly differently from shot to shot, especially if there are lights in the shot.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    ... if memory serves me correctly you've got an exposure compensation button near the shutter button with a + and - sign on it. Push it, then rotate the dial one direction or the other.

Yeah, I thought about this but wasn't sure if the D40 carried that capacity.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Yeah, I thought about this but wasn't sure if the D40 carried that capacity.

I'm assuming as the D60 has it and my understanding is that the 40, 40x and the 60 are virtually identical on the outside. Funny thing is, the paint is completely worn away on the exposure compensator button on our D60. I didn't think we used it that much.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    With my D60 in hand...press and hold the button that's marked +/- and then rotate the "command dial" to the left or right. (That's press and HOLD, not just press) The results will show on the LCD. It is in the manual, you know.

When the camera is turned off, the EV does NOT revert to 0. It remains wherever you set it, so you have to re-set if the conditions change.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/