Options

How do you drum up business?

philx123philx123 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited February 14, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I've got three weddings booked for this year since getting my site up just before Christmas (though none directly from the site alone - word of mouth), but feel like the impetus is slowing.

How do you guys get business other than word of mouth?

All the best

Comments

• Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I'm obnoxious when it comes to getting business lol Kidding but it feeds my kids so I'm all about getting my name out there.

Blogging and facebooking are two of the ways I started drumming up business. I actually booked 2 newborns through Flickr, which really shocked me. I shoot concerts at a local country bar, so I talked to the owner about putting my business cards in there. That's brought some.

For kids, families, etc., I went to a few of the local consignment stores and asked if I could put my cards in there. Did the same with a few of the florists and it's brought some business in. My whole thing is getting my name out there. I've been thinking about joining a few local business marketing groups; chamber being one of them. Not only to get my name out there but you never know who's in the group that could use your services.

I just happen to shoot a family back in December and mom is a bridal consultant. I really don't want to shoot weddings but I have a good friend/photographer that does and I'll be happy "hire" him and second shoot it to get more weddings under my belt. She's already sent 3 brides my way, so we'll see where it goes.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ways but it's early for me and I haven't had enough coffee lol
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:
    I'm obnoxious when it comes to getting business lol Kidding but it feeds my kids so I'm all about getting my name out there.

Blogging and facebooking are two of the ways I started drumming up business. I actually booked 2 newborns through Flickr, which really shocked me. I shoot concerts at a local country bar, so I talked to the owner about putting my business cards in there. That's brought some.

For kids, families, etc., I went to a few of the local consignment stores and asked if I could put my cards in there. Did the same with a few of the florists and it's brought some business in. My whole thing is getting my name out there. I've been thinking about joining a few local business marketing groups; chamber being one of them. Not only to get my name out there but you never know who's in the group that could use your services.

I just happen to shoot a family back in December and mom is a bridal consultant. I really don't want to shoot weddings but I have a good friend/photographer that does and I'll be happy "hire" him and second shoot it to get more weddings under my belt. She's already sent 3 brides my way, so we'll see where it goes.

I'm sure there's plenty of other ways but it's early for me and I haven't had enough coffee lol

Thanks for that. I've been working on a facebook page just today, and am working up some leaflet/cards/ads for businesses. I might follow your lead and check out some bridal consultants. In fact, thinking about it, I know a make up artist who does some bridal work, so I may see if she'll take some cards, also.
    I checked out your facebook page, and really liked the work. Esp the top two of your child with the Polaroid. really engaging. I became a fan. He's mine, if you're interested. Just started it, though, as I said, so it's only got one post:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philip-Smith-Photography/291776912847?ref=ts

All the best

Phil

Thanks for the input.

Phil
  • Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    philx123 wrote:
    Thanks for that. I've been working on a facebook page just today, and am working up some leaflet/cards/ads for businesses. I might follow your lead and check out some bridal consultants. In fact, thinking about it, I know a make up artist who does some bridal work, so I may see if she'll take some cards, also.
    I checked out your facebook page, and really liked the work. Esp the top two of your child with the Polaroid. really engaging. I became a fan. He's mine, if you're interested. Just started it, though, as I said, so it's only got one post:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philip-Smith-Photography/291776912847?ref=ts

All the best

Phil

Thanks for the input.

Phil
    I love your silhouette shot! I'm a sucker for those lol

And thank you. I had the idea in my head and finally put it on "film" lol Also with the MUA, ask her if you could sit in on a session, do some shots for portfolio work. This will help build your portfolio too. I did this last year, advertised that I wanted X amount of baby, maternity, family...then offered to do the session as complementary, gave them a low res, watermarked disc and they had the option to buy prints. All of the ones that took the offer ended up buying a bunch of prints. So I really didn't loose in the deal, just didn't make as much but it also built my portfolio.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Word of mouth referals is where it is at.
    Network with other wedding industry vendors and do a good job for your customers. If your photographs are where they need to be customers will come to you.
    Increasingly the time I spend networking with other vendors, venues, caterers, jewelers, dress stores, videographers, florists really pays off in referrals to me. Of course it has to go the other way to.
    Plus it doesn't cost any money, only some time and effort.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:
    I love your silhouette shot! I'm a sucker for those lol

And thank you. I had the idea in my head and finally put it on "film" lol Also with the MUA, ask her if you could sit in on a session, do some shots for portfolio work. This will help build your portfolio too. I did this last year, advertised that I wanted X amount of baby, maternity, family...then offered to do the session as complementary, gave them a low res, watermarked disc and they had the option to buy prints. All of the ones that took the offer ended up buying a bunch of prints. So I really didn't loose in the deal, just didn't make as much but it also built my portfolio.

Thanks for that. And thanks for following. Nice to see the number rise from zero :).
    That's a great idea about the MUA. I'll definitely give that a go. I don't so much mind doing some work for free, so long as I get portfollio work, and chance of work in the future.
    Thanks for the input.

Phil
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Word of mouth referals is where it is at.
    Network with other wedding industry vendors and do a good job for your customers. If your photographs are where they need to be customers will come to you.
    Increasingly the time I spend networking with other vendors, venues, caterers, jewelers, dress stores, videographers, florists really pays off in referrals to me. Of course it has to go the other way to.
    Plus it doesn't cost any money, only some time and effort.

Thanks for that. I'll get some stuff together and do the rounds.
    I always end up working with videographers, as well. I should really get in touch with some and see about getting word out from them (and vice-versa).

Hey, looked at your site. Great images. That opener is a stunner.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Zoomer's right. I started my wedding photography business a couple of years ago and do very little advertizing other than word of mouth and the local bridal fair, but my business has boomed. If you do a great job for your clients and network with your local wedding vendors, your business will grow. One thing that has helped me with vendor networking is that I take photos at every wedding of the flowers, cakes, decor, etc, then deliver prints to the corresponding vendors. Other photogs in my area do not do this. It makes an impression and makes my name the one they think of when their clients ask about photographers. Costs little, but pays off big.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Great idea. I do some music photography on the side, and find this works the same with sponsors and trade.
  • Options
    GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    Zoomer's right. I started my wedding photography business a couple of years ago and do very little advertizing other than word of mouth and the local bridal fair, but my business has boomed. If you do a great job for your clients and network with your local wedding vendors, your business will grow. One thing that has helped me with vendor networking is that I take photos at every wedding of the flowers, cakes, decor, etc, then deliver prints to the corresponding vendors. Other photogs in my area do not do this. It makes an impression and makes my name the one they think of when their clients ask about photographers. Costs little, but pays off big.

That is an awesome idea! It seems like a small investment that would pay off big time.thumb.gif
    D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb