RESULTS from challenging client

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited February 11, 2010 in People
Pretty much SOOC, I know the dogs are in focus and she is not, that is OK with me. Getting her to tilt her head worked well inmho. And here she has a much smaller smile than usual. I am VERY happy with this shot. I ended up only having 10 minutes before the sun fell behind the buildings and about 20 more after that. This has my hubby holding my speedlight camera left with a GF diffuser.

785335195_ZkJng-L.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    well done!

bowdown.gif
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Geeze - from your discription in the other thread, I was afraid your client was some horribly disfigured monster! She's quite pretty and this is a nice shot. After a small bit of PP, this will be very nice!

Would love to see more from the shoot as/when you have a chance!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Shooting dogs is a pain, you did well with this one. I like your low angle.
    Since you haven't processed it yet....there is a slight tilt to the right.
    Maybe take a crop from the right and just smidge off the bottom.

Did you use your 1.4 aperture is that why the dogs are sharp and she is blurry or was she moving....just curious. I am battling with the 85 1.4 to learn how to get the focus consistently perfect.
    I have re-tuned the lens focus several times and still a work in progress.

Nice shot, I am sure she will love it.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    hah.. scott said what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it would be rude of me to say that..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    zoomer wrote:

This is all I was thinking. A bit tighter crop would help the comp overall to lose a couple distractions like the off-angle fence above and behind her.. A good shot though and the fact that she's a tad OOF isn't detracting much for me. Nice work clap.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Geeze - from your discription in the other thread, I was afraid your client was some horribly disfigured monster! She's quite pretty and this is a nice shot. After a small bit of PP, this will be very nice!

Would love to see more from the shoot as/when you have a chance!

HEHEEE WELL Scott, I'll post more later, maybe a few from last year. This is a very good shot of her, trust me.:D
    Trudy

NIKON D700
    edited February 10, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Shooting dogs is a pain, you did well with this one. I like your low angle.

Did you use your 1.4 aperture is that why the dogs are sharp and she is blurry or was she moving....just curious. I am battling with the 85 1.4 to learn how to get the focus consistently perfect.
    I have re-tuned the lens focus several times and still a work in progress.

Nice shot, I am sure she will love it.

thanks Zoomer, i was struggling with the f/stop, we were fast losing the light, I knew I would not get all three in focus, but I took my chances, and because I am still new and just learning to use a light meter, and still trying to think quickly on my feet, I went with what I felt I could do well without improvising too much. I'm not sure I ever got that low, but I kept it at 4 or under for the entire shoot that began indoors. I did adjust my iso, but it did not occur to me to also try adjusting my exposure plus or minus, whatever that is called. I have only been on M for about 2 shoots, maybe 3.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    OK 3 threrads now. here's my response in one of the others:

I understand the complexities of this image (multiple sub's and time restricts) and will accept it for what it is, based on that - It is what it is....

WTS; I'd do lunch with her!
    In a HEART BEAT!!!

FWIW, I hate it when clients start changing the rules. BEING ON TIME IS IMPORTANT!!! Some just don't seem to "get" that. headscratch.gif
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    wow indeed! Great shot, beautiful lady.

The background is somewhat distracting, especially the fence.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Svennie wrote:
    wow indeed! Great shot, beautiful lady.

The background is somewhat distracting, especially the fence.

I agree. thumb.gif

I know you said this is almost SOOC, but here are a few things that in my humble opinion that need to be addressed.

I think she's a little pink...but then again, I'm on my laptop...and it hasn't been calibrated yet. I find, when shooting Nikon flash, that often images are a little too cool.

Just a thought. Watch the belly bulge...sooner or later, she will look at the photo and see that she has what appears to be a fat roll right above her belt. I may be wrong, but I'll bet she won't find that attractive. Address clothing issues that may reflect less a less than flattering appearance.

I also think your image could benefit from a crop. Straighten the image, and then look at cropping the image around the top of the fence rail, and to the right of her head. This will get rid of lots of uninteresting space, and it fills the frame with your subjects, and now your image follows the rule of thirds.

You also have a very bright rectangle just to the left of her head. I would take that out, but it appears due to the fence it might be somewhat of a pain.

Question. Why is it okay with you that she is not in focus?

You definitely have the pose set up right...head tilt, etc. I like what you are doing there.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited February 10, 2010
    Ed911 wrote:
    I agree. thumb.gif

I know you said this is almost SOOC, but here are a few things that in my humble opinion that need to be addressed.

I think she's a little pink...but then again, I'm on my laptop...and it hasn't been calibrated yet. I find, when shooting Nikon flash, that often images are a little too cool.

Just a thought. Watch the belly bulge...sooner or later, she will look at the photo and see that she has what appears to be a fat roll right above her belt. I may be wrong, but I'll bet she won't find that attractive. Address clothing issues that may reflect less a less than flattering appearance.

I also think your image could benefit from a crop. Straighten the image, and then look at cropping the image around the top of the fence rail, and to the right of her head. This will get rid of lots of uninteresting space, and it fills the frame with your subjects, and now your image follows the rule of thirds.

You also have a very bright rectangle just to the left of her head. I would take that out, but it appears due to the fence it might be somewhat of a pain.

Question. Why is it okay with you that she is not in focus?

You definitely have the pose set up right...head tilt, etc. I like what you are doing there.

This is just a proof, once she has made her selection I do a complete edit and address issues like the ones you mentioned.I'll post about 100 proofs including her dogs, so this is not really edited at all. I had no intention of shooting in front of the fence but she was so late getting outside this is what we had time for. I don't mind that she is not in focus because if she was I would soften her a lot. And although she wanted me to do some solo shots of her to make her look "hot" we ran out of time, she was over 4 hours late. it was a very tough shoot.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    This is just a proof, once she has made her selection I do a complete edit and address issues like the ones you mentioned.I'll post about 100 proofs including her dogs, so this is not really edited at all. I had no intention of shooting in front of the fence but she was so late getting outside this is what we had time for. I don't mind that she is not in focus because if she was I would soften her a lot. And although she wanted me to do some solo shots of her to make her look "hot" we ran out of time, she was over 4 hours late. it was a very tough shoot.

Seems to me like if she was over 4 hours late, she can't be picky that she didn't totally get what she wanted (as far as her being "hot" is concerned)...

I can't say I would have waited over 4 hours for a client, regardless of who they were.

It is a beautiful shot, congrats!!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:

I understand...just some suggestions. You definitely have a client that will look good in your portfolio. I look forward to seeing your finished work.

Cute puppies and people shot...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    You SHOULD be proud! Great work! Love the crisp colors.. she looks wonderful! :D
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    As others said, I think it's a great shot... We want to see more!