Options

cutting one image into 3 images

thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited February 14, 2010 in Finishing School
normally, i upload all full res images to SM and do cropping there if need be...but this case is different...

i have a client who wants a photograph taken (let's call it photo.jpg) and then he wants the photograph to be cut into 3 pieces (photo_left.jpg, photo_center.jpg, photo_right.jpg)...he's gonna order a print from each of the final pieces and hang them next to each other, like a collage...
  1. should i first find out what size he is looking for in each image (16x20 for example) before i proceed and crop per the dimensions he wants, or is there a way to cut the image into 1/3's and upload them so he can choose which size he wants later?
  2. what if he wants LARGE sizes for each of the 3 prints, can i just input the dimensions in the crop tool in PS CS4 and crop that way (selecting the bicubic option), or is there a better way?
hopefully this makes sense....if you have any tips for how to accomplish this goal, i'd appreciate it...

this question started out in another thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=158578) but it was suggested i ask some of these PS specific questions here...

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 10, 2010
    Why not shoot the original image as a 3 or 4 frame pano, so that when the final image is divided three ways, it still has the quality and resolution for that 16 x 20 image you mentioned?

If you use a single file, and cut it into three separate images, the quality has to suffer somewhat doesn't it?

I think you are better off uploading the three images yourself to smugmug also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    exactly, i knew the quality would suffer if i cropped it myself in PS...

never thought of doing it as a 3-shot pano...i'll assume shoot it like a normal pano, overlapping each of the 3 shots slightly....

so, if i were to do this (assuming a 3-shot pano) and upload all 3 shots to SM as so - shot 1 (back portion of her profile), shot 2 (ear portion/middle of profile) and shot 3 (her face)...then, from each shot i'll need to crop them appropriately to cut out the extra "stuff"...how then would i guarantee that they line up accurately? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 10, 2010
    Panos are easy to do for landscapes, for portraits not nearly so much.

If this is a portrait that is to be divided three ways (?), not sure I would do a pano then. If it is just three views, you can shoot three frames and them merge them in Photoshop as a tryptich - 3 frame panel
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    nope, not a tryptich- one photo, cut into 3 pieces...

i'm not a PS expert, but let me ask this...if i know how large he wants each piece to be (say 16x20 for arguments sake), could i use the crop tool, enter those dimensions and make 3 crops? then, upload the 3 pieces and order ONLY a 16x20 piece (nothing else would be available for purchase)...would that hurt quality at all?

i figured quality would only suffer if i cropped to say 8x10 and then tried to order a larger size, a 16x20 for example...maybe i'm wrong...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited February 11, 2010
    It would be a good idea for you to do some tests prior to the actual portrait session, both so you can get an idea of the problems and issues involved and so that your client can get an idea as well.

If the client already has an idea in mind, it does not sound like they have accurately conveyed what they want to you. If the client saw something that gave them the idea, maybe another photographic treatment somewhere or some artwork, have them share that with you so you know for sure what they want.

Yes, you absolutely need to know the desired finished size of each component print before proceeding.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It would be a good idea for you to do some tests prior to the actual portrait session, both so you can get an idea of the problems and issues involved and so that your client can get an idea as well.

If the client already has an idea in mind, it does not sound like they have accurately conveyed what they want to you. If the client saw something that gave them the idea, maybe another photographic treatment somewhere or some artwork, have them share that with you so you know for sure what they want.

Yes, you absolutely need to know the desired finished size of each component print before proceeding.

i've already got an idea of the problems. rolleyes1.gif i am trying to figure out how to make 3 prints out of 1 without losing quality...

and actually, the client has made it perfectly clear what he wants...in fact, he took me to a gallery to show me what he wants...don't know how else to explain it - take a profile shot, split this shot into 3 sections with each section being it's own print...the artist wasn't there, but we were told they do their own printing - maybe they used trial and error, i dunno...but i couldn't ask them...

this is for his anniversary and he has made a poem for his wife...the poem goes along with the concept of using the one image to make three prints...he didn't share the poem with me, but i know he has this thought out and i understand his concept completely (just maybe not getting it across to everyone clearly)....headscratch.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    i've already got an idea of the problems. rolleyes1.gif i am trying to figure out how to make 3 prints out of 1 without losing quality...

and actually, the client has made it perfectly clear what he wants...in fact, he took me to a gallery to show me what he wants...don't know how else to explain it - take a profile shot, split this shot into 3 sections with each section being it's own print...the artist wasn't there, but we were told they do their own printing - maybe they used trial and error, i dunno...but i couldn't ask them...

this is for his anniversary and he has made a poem for his wife...the poem goes along with the concept of using the one image to make three prints...he didn't share the poem with me, but i know he has this thought out and i understand his concept completely (just maybe not getting it across to everyone clearly)....headscratch.gif

I don't feel as lame as I did....rolleyes1.giffollowing your latest thread..

Nothing tells a story like a visual.....Why not post a photo of the art piece you went to view and then continue to ask~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    hey, are you mocking me! :giggle

i'll see if there is a photo of it on the art league website....it was a local monthly gallery featuring local artist...it wasn't a gallery featuring the works of one person or something like that...the piece (or pieces) in question were of a landscape, but inspired this guy to use a portrait instead...

i'll look tonight and see if i can find something and i'll post later...
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    hey, are you mocking me! :giggle

i'll see if there is a photo of it on the art league website....it was a local monthly gallery featuring local artist...it wasn't a gallery featuring the works of one person or something like that...the piece (or pieces) in question were of a landscape, but inspired this guy to use a portrait instead...

i'll look tonight and see if i can find something and i'll post later...
    x2 me & you~

I took a NEF file from my stash, took it into LR2, made a preset crop and chopped it up into thirds. It was a close in head shot. exported it to SM and checked the buy button. I could buy it all the way up to 10x20 inches. This with 300dpi export func.

Help?

Chopping it up in LR2 was easy.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    i'm guessing your NEF file was a full raw file? don't use LR but guessing it's similar to PS - you put in the size you want to crop to like 16x20 and crop away at that exact size...

did SM not "allow" you to buy anything larger because of the resulting file size, or is that the largest you tried? if SM limited you by default, that's good - that'll let me know how large i can go from a file...if you just stopped there by choice, then i'm wondering how "degraded" a larger file would be?

in fact, now that you mentioned trying to upload to SM and trying to buy, i might try that...i'll do it without buying, of course...curious
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    i'm guessing your NEF file was a full raw file? don't use LR but guessing it's similar to PS - you put in the size you want to crop to like 16x20 and crop away at that exact size...

did SM not "allow" you to buy anything larger because of the resulting file size, or is that the largest you tried? if SM limited you by default, that's good - that'll let me know how large i can go from a file...if you just stopped there by choice, then i'm wondering how "degraded" a larger file would be?

in fact, now that you mentioned trying to upload to SM and trying to buy, i might try that...i'll do it without buying, of course...curious

No.....SM limits us to what it trys to tell us is the limit....and you cannot force it other than adjusting the file outside and then reloading it....So yes, it was then limited too that size~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    ok, don't have the image that was at the gallery, but i made an attempt to make another image just to describe what i'm attempting to do...

imagine you walk into a gallery, and the gallery has wite walls...on one wall you see three photographs, each a piece of the New River Bridge...you can obviously tell what it is by mentally combining the three images in your head to determine it's a bridge...so here's the result (yes, it looks like a tryptich but remember, the white behind each image is the white wall, each of the "pieces" of the bridge represents a part of one photograph):
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    So...this is going to be a VERY close up of her in profile?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    yes...