Options

challenge 44

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited February 13, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all,
I have to get a jump on this challenge because I'm going away in a couple of days--so here I am, snowed in and bored and ready to tackle this.

C&C always appreciated.

Thank you.

785412883_WgeJk-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Liz
    Looks like a ruling for the judges. But that is a shadow not a silhouette.
    Need to go stand someone in front of the snow and shoot for the highlights to make a silhouette.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silhouette
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Liz
    Looks like a ruling for the judges. But that is a shadow not a silhouette.
    Need to go stand someone in front of the snow and shoot for the highlights to make a silhouette.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silhouette

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bash :bash :bash

Thank you for clarifying that--you are so right of course...AAGGHHH!

and now rolleyes1.gif . It was nice being snowed-in and taking shots anyway, lol.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I've always thought of a shadow as a silhouette (well, if it is a sillhouette): "silhouette - an outline of a solid object (as cast by its shadow)." The key to the definition for me was that it's an outline of a solid object, with no internal detail.

This might not qualify, because of the internal detail, but I wouldn't have presumed that the method of making the silhouette (against a bright sky or snow v casting a shadow) would have been the relevant distinction.
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bash :bash :bash

Thank you for clarifying that--you are so right of course...AAGGHHH!

and now rolleyes1.gif . It was nice being snowed-in and taking shots anyway, lol.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I think that if you look up the definition of a silhouette, you will find that this qualifies.

If you have the time, you might want to fiddle with the contrast to make the silhouette more defined(more distinct against the background????). I really like what you captured.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Take your 0 point in curves and slide it over toward midtones
    (center) and it might make a silhouette.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Oh good--so there is a chance this might work because there is no time for reshoot--but I can work on this image some more before submitting it to the challenge.

I shall leave it in the judges hands then to see if it qualifies--

I appreciate the input.

Also DsrtVW I will work on the curves to make the shadow more prominent. Thanks for the tip.

FYI, I won't be able to comment much more on other entries since I'll be out of town--I hope I can access the challenges on my crackberry so that I can keep up to date, but if not, I'll see you all when I come back.

Take care.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010

FYI, I won't be able to comment much more on other entries since I'll be out of town--I hope I can access the challenges on my crackberry so that I can keep up to date, but if not, I'll see you all when I come back.

Take care.

Crackberry!rolleyes1.gif That's one thing that irritates me about my blackberry curve. I can go into the dgrin forum easily to look up the threads, but the entry gallery is a no go for me. None of the pictures show up and neither do the comments. Hope yer able to still comment it the forum. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Hi Liz,

I am also not so sure that this qualifies as a "real" silhouette. I'm sure different people have different definitions for silhouette, but typically you want a subject in front of a background which is much brighter than the subject itself e.g. sky. I never considered a shadow to be a silhouette.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Hi Liz,

I am also not so sure that this qualifies as a "real" silhouette. I'm sure different people have different definitions for silhouette, but typically you want a subject in front of a background which is much brighter than the subject itself e.g. sky. I never considered a shadow to be a silhouette.

hmmmm--I think because people are of two opinions I will have to take my chances and may have to go with this one--not that your opinion doesn't matter, it's just my day to shoot was yesterday and I have tonight to tweak and tomorrow morning, otherwise it's no entry at all. I will have to take my chances with Aaron and Mrs.Cue. Course from what I"m already seeing in the dailies, I think I may be in trouble anywayrolleyes1.gif --but I hate to miss out in participating.

Thanks Nightpixels--I appreciate the input, but I'll likely roll with this one, only because there is no other option at this point.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    hmmmm--I think because people are of two opinions I will have to take my chances and may have to go with this one--not that your opinion doesn't matter, it's just my day to shoot was yesterday and I have tonight to tweak and tomorrow morning, otherwise it's no entry at all. I will have to take my chances with Aaron and Mrs.Cue. Course from what I"m already seeing in the dailies, I think I may be in trouble anywayrolleyes1.gif --but I hate to miss out in participating.

Thanks Nightpixels--I appreciate the input, but I'll likely roll with this one, only because there is no other option at this point.

Then go for it :D
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Wow, getting some nice variety in this challenge. I like how this silhouette is subtle. It could have been done more heavy-handed, but you very nicely managed to pull it off with subtlety and finesse, and that's what makes it so strong. Not a traditional silhouette, but probably by definition it is.

BTW, I can access the forums on my crackberry, but not with the built-in web browser (which has problems with many sites). I had to download a free 3rd party browser. The one called "Bolt" seems to work best for me for these forums. Find it at crackberry.com.

Cheers,
    Mark
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    liflander wrote:
    Wow, getting some nice variety in this challenge. I like how this silhouette is subtle. It could have been done more heavy-handed, but you very nicely managed to pull it off with subtlety and finesse, and that's what makes it so strong. Not a traditional silhouette, but probably by definition it is.

BTW, I can access the forums on my crackberry, but not with the built-in web browser (which has problems with many sites). I had to download a free 3rd party browser. The one called "Bolt" seems to work best for me for these forums. Find it at crackberry.com.

Cheers,
    Mark

Thanks Mark,
    First for the tip about the BB--I am looking into Bolt right now!

Also glad my shot works for you.
    Liz A.
    _________