Options

Sunset advice

KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in Technique
I am going on a cruise this coming week and wanted to take some sunset pics from the ship. I am curious how i should take these as far as focusing. When I try autofocus with the camera I tend to get alot of blurry shots even when shutter is at high speeds using tripod. Its as if the camera cant get a good focus. I have tried manual-throught screen as well as viewfinder-I will admit I cant tell anything using the viewfinder with this camera but I try(fuji s7000). I guess my question is if i am out in the ocean with no landmarks...do I focus on the sun itself? Not like I can run back and RE-take :dunno
Just any advice on this would be appreciated.
Kagan

Comments

• Options
    fishlipsfishlips Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    kagan,
    i am certainly no expert on anything relating to the field of photography…but, the few time i have taken sunset pics, i use manual focus and set to infinity using the widest apeture possible or pretty close (greater depth of field). that way everything from the sunset to just in front of you will be in acceptably sharp focus.

now, please, to all the wonderful photographers on dgrin, if i have lead kagan astray, please tell both of us.
    phil

my pictures live here. well, eventually they all will.
  • Options
    KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    It sounds reasonable rolleyes1.gif My camera manual of course said to take the picture by setting the camera to infinite focus.....nowhere in the manual did it say how to set to infinite focus? Left me at a loss... ne_nau.gif

fishlips wrote:
    kagan,
    i am certainly no expert on anything relating to the field of photography…but, the few time i have taken sunset pics, i use manual focus and set to infinity using the widest apeture possible or pretty close (greater depth of field). that way everything from the sunset to just in front of you will be in acceptably sharp focus.

now, please, to all the wonderful photographers on dgrin, if i have lead kagan astray, please tell both of us.
    Kagan
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    There is a focus ring on the lens barrel.

Kagan wrote:
    It sounds reasonable rolleyes1.gif My camera manual of course said to take the picture by setting the camera to infinite focus.....nowhere in the manual did it say how to set to infinite focus? Left me at a loss... ne_nau.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Set camera to manual focus then press the button in the middle of the focus switch that gets very near then just turn the ring on the barrel either way until you get a yellow dot. I always use the viewfinder on that camera looking at the screen looks so amateurish:D
    Kagan wrote:
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    fishlips wrote:
    <SNIP>
    using the widest apeture possible or pretty close (greater depth of field).
    Should be using the smalllest aperture possible (highest number f/16 f/22) for the largest depth of field.

remember WIDE OPEN is low numbers (f/1.4, f/2.8), and means very shallow DOF.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Just tried my S7000 and it will auto focus on clouds so maybe focus and recompose, I always use the view finder, using the screen looks so amateurish :D

Here's one i took in Norway last month
    27363082-M.jpg

Aperture Priority
    F3.1
    0.001s (10/10000)
    Exposure Bias -1.33