Options

#44 feedback needed....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 13, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been in a total slump lately and have been doing the challenges just to keep me going and not putting down the camera. That said....take a look at these and please let me know if any are stong enough for this challenge. I have one other idea but not sure if I will have a chance to set it up.

785632805_x5EYN-L.jpg

785634561_ACDKs-L.jpg

785633914_2tTWJ-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    They fit, but there is no WOW factor =c/ you can do better
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I'm intrigued by the last one, potentially cropped to make it look like a patchwork of branches (rather than the entire tree)? I was playing with something a bit like that myself, aiming for something that looked like the dense branching of a type of neuron in the cerebellum:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Purkinje_cell_by_Cajal.png

None of mine have as much potential in that direction as your trees.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    I did some shots like this today too, but did not turn out the way I was seeing them in the field. These are not working for me either.ne_nau.gif
    Sorry if I was going to pick one it would be 3.
    I hate slumps they really suck. Keep shooting.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    I can tell you are in a slump, just by looking at these pictures. They look "rote", if you know what I mean. Sure, they're silhouettes, but they really don't have a subject, or any interesting draw. I know how it feels, your mental state definitely influences your "eye." I've been there.

That being said, I took a look at your website, particularly the challenge gallery. There is a lot of good stuff there, so if you can snap out of it, I'm sure you can produce some good images. It seems to me that all you need is inspiration.

I haven't been inspired by the challenges for some time (although the last one was interesting, but caught me at a bad time, as all my ideas were incredibly complex and I had tow weeks of intense business activity going on).

Here is a word that should light your fire. Chiaroscuro. It's a refinement of the silhouette idea, and if you can get your friends to pose for you, you should be able to come up with some great shots. Something edgy, and out there.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Work on composition. Choose your subject and showcase it.
    These have compositional issues, and looks like you got there a little late to catch the color.
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Hi JAG,

I agree with the posts above. I think one will need more than just some tree branches to give the silhouette picture that wow factor. Keep shooting :)
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 11, 2010
    Thanks all for your input and support. I guess I am in such a slump that I am second guessing myself because I knew in the back of my mind somewhere, that these would not cut it. Just like I did on the previous 3 rounds. Yes I have lost my zing for photography for the moment but it will eventually return as it always does. I have decided I will get my zing back this round...I just have to take more time at it and think.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I'm also participating in the challenges to challenge myself to think out of the box and not fall into a rut of taking the same pictures over and over again (for me, it's the sunrises from my picture windows. No matter how glorious, they don't challenge me).

Good luck, and I hope you're inspired to try something new and different.
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Hi! They are all evocative. I like #2 the best, and I'd like to see more detail in the shadows, especially in the lower left where there is water.
    Cheers,
    Mark