• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 12, 2010
    Those were some good reads. :)
    Indeed. Very interesting. The plot thickens. nod.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Indeed. Very interesting. The plot thickens. nod.gif

I know they say it is a little slower than the D3 but this still makes me feel great about the AF in my D700 clap.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 12, 2010
    I moved the post for the sale of the 1D MKIV cameras into the Flea Market, House of Canon, which is the appropriate place for selling Canon products.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Oh hell, yes. The xxD series focusing system is a joke compared to any of the pro bodies, this one included.
    Rather harsh Joel! The 5D is a pro body and the AF on the xxDs are better IMO.
    kdog wrote:
    The IV did some some amazing stuff for Galbraith as he mentioned in his review. Given the best case scenario of the runner coming directly toward you, it locked on and evidently produced a 100% keeper rate. With an xxD body, you'd be looking at only some fraction of the shots being keepers.
    Reference? 99.9% is also a fraction mwink.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 13, 2010
    BigAl wrote:
    Rather harsh Joel! The 5D is a pro body and the AF on the xxDs are better IMO.

Reference? 99.9% is also a fraction mwink.gif
    Hey Al, the 5D isn't a pro body. The full-frame Canon pro body is the 1DsIII. The pro bodies are weather sealed, 45 point AF, dual-CF cards, physically much larger cameras, etc.

I shoot with the 5DMII and a 40D, and don't think I'm being harsh. The 9 point focus system has been around for years, is outdated and not particularly effective. There's a reason that Canon replaced it with the 7D. Nikons have a better AF for example in the D300/D700 bodies for example.

As far as servo mode being partially effect, all I can say is try it. You'll get some shots in focus and some shots out. I'm not knocking it, btw. I'm just saying it's a joke COMPARED TO the 1D pro-bodies. They're in a different league.

I think Canon does and will continue to cripple the AF in their prosumer cameras as not to cannibalize sales of the pro bodies. I also believe the new AF system in the 7D was carefully crafted to be an improvement over the xxD AF, but still trailing that of the 1D pro bodies. It would probably have been more cost effective just to use the 45 point AF in the 7D rather than building a whole new one, but then they'd eat into sales of the 1D bodies. That's marketing for ya.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Hey Al, the 5D isn't a pro body. The full-frame Canon pro body is the 1DsIII. The pro bodies are weather sealed, 45 point AF, dual-CF cards, physically much larger cameras, etc.

I shoot with the 5DMII and a 40D, and don't think I'm being harsh. The 9 point focus system has been around for years, is outdated and not particularly effective. There's a reason that Canon replaced it with the 7D. Nikons have a better AF for example in the D300/D700 bodies for example.

As far as servo mode being partially effect, all I can say is try it. You'll get some shots in focus and some shots out. I'm not knocking it, btw. I'm just saying it's a joke COMPARED TO the 1D pro-bodies. They're in a different league.

I think Canon does and will continue to cripple the AF in their prosumer cameras as not to cannibalize sales of the pro bodies. I also believe the new AF system in the 7D was carefully crafted to be an improvement over the xxD AF, but still trailing that of the 1D pro bodies. It would probably have been more cost effective just to use the 45 point AF in the 7D rather than building a whole new one, but then they'd eat into sales of the 1D bodies. That's marketing for ya.

Cheers,
    -joel

I think this last part is a great point, having a 1.6 crop over a 1.3 could be a big help to some people where every mm of zoom helps making the 7D a more attractive camera than the 1D. Nikon has this with the D300 which has been properly sealed (not up to the D3 but pretty good) and in some ways like the AF an upgrade over the previous pro D2Xs and in some situations a better option than the D3.

This is a crazy time to be a photographer, digital in many ways is at or past the old film cameras and we are getting features and capabilities that were not possible just a few years ago.
  • waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    This is a crazy time to be a photographer, digital in many ways is at or past the old film cameras and we are getting features and capabilities that were not possible just a few years ago.

This is a great point! I get tired of hearing the common complaint that DSLRs become obsolete in just a few years and upgrading is required. While it may be true that improvements come rapidly, and based on the new technology many photograhers willingly choose to upgrade their equipment, this is not a problem with DSLRs or a detriment as some people claim. This is a good problem to have. We are in the midst of some fast paced digital evolution. Your old 5D hasn't become obsolete. Barring wear and tear, it does what it originally did, just like the old film cameras still do...There are just new and exciting options.

*Remember the recent complaining about Canon's new 70-200 2.8 IS VII? They were beaten up because they chose to update the technology after many years, regardless of how well the original was functioning. They were'nt making people sell their originals and pay more for the new one, but folks were complaining like they were. Sorry for the off-subject drift but my point is that we tend to overthink many issues and create problems that don't really exist or magnify problems that do.

Wayne in Oregon
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    haha...I stood right beside the photographer they picture at the olympic oval in calgary with my D3s...I noticed the lens and didn't notice that he was shooting with an s as well.

Sorry, a little off topic, but I found it funny.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    There is a 48 page guide on AI Servo AF Custom Functions.

I don't think this is your average, every day AF.
    Depending on the shooting conditions, it is possible for the AI SERVO AF mode to focus more accurately on fast moving subjects by selecting an appropriate Custom Function. This guide describes the features of these key Custom Functions, and how to select and use the most appropriate settings.

I think you have to tune the AF to your shooting style and subject.

added... some sample settings:
    Important Custom Functions for AI Servo AF
    12 [C.Fn III-2] Tracking Sensitivity: Use ‘Intermediate Slow’ for Fast Moving Subjects
    14 [C.Fn III-2] Tracking Sensitivity: Use ‘Slow’ For Subjects that Appear and Disappear Intermittently
    16 [C.Fn III-8-1] AF Expansion with Selected Point: Capture Subjects with Fast Side to Side Movement by Selecting Left/Right AF Point Expansion
    18 [C.Fn III-8-2, C.Fn III-8-3] AF Expansion with Selected Point: Capture Subjects with Rapid Movement by Selecting Surrounding AF Point Expansion
    20 [C.Fn III-4-0] AI Servo AF Tracking Method: Continuously Follow One Subject with Main Focus Point Priority
    22 [C.Fn III-4-1] AI Servo AF Tracking Method: Shift Focus to Foreground Subject with Continuous AF Tracking Priority
    24 [C.Fn III-3] AI Servo 1st/2nd Image Priority: Determine the Relationship between AF Operation and Shutter Release During Continuous Shooting
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    My interest for the 1DMk4 was for birds and wildlife, more than high speed sports.
    PF: Scott Bourne just posted his response to R Galbraith and he loves to shoot birds and wildlife.

The punch line to a long story is that got my 1d at 8:30 pm earlier this week. I was at the ice rink by 11 pm that very night and I've been trying to head out to the rink every night since then that day.

General impressions. Clean ISO, AF is perfectly usable as is, but I know it will get better when I start playing with custom functions. From a completely out of focus frame, it takes about .5 second to fully lock on a fast moving subject in very poor conditions. I don't think my AF tuning process will happen over night and I think it will me 10,000-20,000 frames before I know what's best for me each rink and with each lens combo and focus points. My shooting style/technique changes depending on the lens that I'm using. Also, this camera is redefining my shooting through process because I'm not limited to specific settings anymore. At this point, I don't know what's the optimal ISO/SS/Focus points, tracking modes that I should use. My other issue is that i have small hands. I can handle the weight of the body/lens, but I don't have a very good grip on things. Someone had to point out to me that there is a finger mold in the grip. ne_nau.gif I never knew it was there because my fingers never reached far enough around the group to feel it.

I do know that ISO 5000 is usable without any noise software, and that I can still track people with default autofocus points. I think center works better for me, but if don't keep the skater in the center of the frame, I lose focus and that is due to user error, and not the camera. And it's not easy to always correctly track an individual if they're deking and trying to avoid people down the length of the ice.... I think what surprises me the most is that the AWB was usable indoors.

jpg SOC, ISO 4000:
    790434871_3uhCa-L.jpg

15 seconds worth of post (straighten, cropped, curves):
    791117262_BhEyK-L.jpg

I think in general, you can't go wrong with any of the high end pro level bodies (Nikon or Canon). I think some of the media/blogs has given the edge to Nikon in the camera wars. In the end, the camera is just the tool and it's up to you to figure out the best way to use it. Only you can decide if the camera meets your needs. Not everyone needs to shoot at ISO 128,000 (or whatever it is these days).

The San Jose Sharks are not allowed back onto the ice until near the end of the month due to the Olympics. My true test will be attempting to shot them at the practice rink condition....

Until then, I'm heading out the local rinks whenever I have a spare moment and will probably starting playing with the custom AF functions next week.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2010
    Congratulations Aktse. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Here is a review from someone using it at the Olympics.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2380