Maine Farm in Winter - C&C Wanted

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 11, 2010 in Landscapes
Since I can't go out yet, I am processing some old shots. I took this one at a farm outside Bath, Maine, last Feb. It was near sunset and very cold. I like the scene but am not sure I captured it exactly. Is it too blue? Too dark?

This is a single image that I processed twice in ACR, once for sky/shadows and once for highlights (mainly the fence). I then combined them in PS and did some curves, levels, and exposure adjustments, and then finished it with a minor Topaz Adjust exposure correction.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Lauren

786133503_4qdAd-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

This looks like a tough one. Backlit over snow and it looks like about 1 1/2 hours from sunset from the position of the sun in the sky.

It does seem blue, but I bet if you warm it up the sky goes white. Also, the trees on the right seem pretty blocked up. Can you get any details in the trees by playing with the exposure? Maybe try adjusting the white balance to make the snow whiter (grayer?). And make a version with some detail in the trees. Blend those two but you may still have to play some with the sky to get it right.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Thanks, Tom. You are spot on with the time of day--just about 1.5 hrs from sunset as I recall! I will play with this some more tomorrow. That trip was my first time shooting in snow and I could definitely use more practice. Good thing I shoot RAW so I can adjust WB, etc. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com