Travis

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Nice
    If not now, when?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    That is one excellent image. The best of yours I've seen.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Nice
    Thanks
    Travis
    edited February 12, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    That is one excellent image. The best of yours I've seen.
    Wow, thanks Jen. I'm glad you like it! clap.gif
    Travis
    edited February 17, 2010
    We seem to have had a lull in activity last week so I'd like to give this one another shot at life. Anyone who missed it have any opinions?

Thanks!
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    We seem to have had a lull in activity last week so I'd like to give this one another shot at life. Anyone who missed it have any opinions?

Thanks!

Yup - Excellent. The contrast between those expressions and the little princess outfits is very nice - I agree with Jen's comments - one of your best.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    It's a terrific capture Travis. I adore the expression on the little girl's face. I can just hear the whine in her voice as she says a disappointed awwwwwwwwwwww. clap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited February 18, 2010
    Travis, this is very nice.

I wonder if you can eke a some highlight detail into the boas and the hand in the lower right?
    If not now, when?
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    I wonder if you can eke a some highlight detail into the boas and the hand in the lower right?

Actually I know you can and I think it looks even better if you do.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 18, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Yup - Excellent. The contrast between those expressions and the little princess outfits is very nice - I agree with Jen's comments - one of your best.
    Thanks, B.D. I guess we never know where our best will come from. An enterprising person would probably learn a lesson here... :D
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    It's a terrific capture Travis. I adore the expression on the little girl's face. I can just hear the whine in her voice as she says a disappointed awwwwwwwwwwww. clap.gif
    Thanks, Patti!
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Actually I know you can and I think it looks even better if you do.
    I'm sure you're right, Rutt. I'll play with it a bit more in a bit and post the update. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    Here's the edited version. I modified the upper end of the curve, rather than burning in just the scarves. How did I do?

791431281_XXvFc-L.jpg
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    This looks OK. I did better with Shadow/Highlight and a layer mask (just to keep it off one of the girl's cheek.) Look at the hand.

If (as here) there are some very burned out parts of the image (or very plugged shadows) shadow/highlight before curves is your friend. It can open up the image details in a way that makes it easier to write the curves that restore the exact look you want while retaining the detail. In this case, you'll set the highlight threshold very low, maybe all the way down and leave the amount high. Do it on a layer and then adjust a bit. Then curve and I predict you'll be happy.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    This looks OK. I did better with Shadow/Highlight and a layer mask (just to keep it off one of the girl's cheek.) Look at the hand.

If (as here) there are some very burned out parts of the image (or very plugged shadows) shadow/highlight before curves is your friend. It can open up the image details in a way that makes it easier to write the curves that restore the exact look you want while retaining the detail. In this case, you'll set the highlight threshold very low, maybe all the way down and leave the amount high. Do it on a layer and then adjust a bit. Then curve and I predict you'll be happy.
    Ok, that makes sense. It sounds like I should reprocess this one from the beginning, then, and see what happens. Honestly, I think I lost a bit of the highlights during processing so it may not take much to keep them if I start over. I'll rework and post it as soon as I can.

Thanks, Rutt.
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks, B.D. I guess we never know where our best will come from. An enterprising person would probably learn a lesson here... :D

You mean always carry a camera, and never stop shooting? rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited February 18, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    You mean always carry a camera, and never stop shooting? rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe something like that. :photo
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    Alright, here's take 3. This one feels like it could be lacking a bit of contrast but I think that's just because my eyes are burnt in from the previous versions. ne_nau.gif What do you all think?

791570144_N3xcG-L.jpg
    Travis
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    I like the last one. It looks like it has more contrast to my amateur eyes. The one before looks a bit over exposed to me.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited February 18, 2010
    Very nice.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 18, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    I like the last one. It looks like it has more contrast to my amateur eyes. The one before looks a bit over exposed to me.
    Thanks, Patti. I took a break from photos for a few hours and it looks much better after coming back to it. Like I said before, I think my eyes had become accustomed to the blown highlights of the previous version and thought this one was flat. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Very nice.
    Yay, you added a 'very.' :D
    Travis
    edited February 18, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Yay, you added a 'very.' :D

"Nice" is actually a very high compliment. I only use it when I hear myself say it, almost outloud. "Wow" is better. "Very" usually gets added by my left brain because I want to emphasize a comparison with something, often other nice shots in the same post or recent work from the same photographer.

In this case I added the very because of the improved post. And I did use "very" in my second post in this thread (because I wanted to emphasize that some added post would be worthwhile.)
    If not now, when?
    edited February 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    "Nice" is actually a very high compliment. I only use it when I hear myself say it, almost outloud. "Wow" is better. "Very" usually gets added by my left brain because I want to emphasize a comparison with something, often other nice shots in the same post or recent work from the same photographer.

In this case I added the very because of the improved post. And I did use "very" in my second post in this thread (because I wanted to emphasize that some added post would be worthwhile.)
    No explanation necessary man. I knew it was a good thing. My reply may have sounded a little sarcastic but I was being sincere!
    Travis