Any online store that packs well for shipping??

kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited February 14, 2010 in Cameras
I have ordered from both B&H photo and Adorama...and I am NOT impressed with the packing they do. I received a box from BH with flat plastic(air bags all popped) and the actual lens in manufacturer's box tumbling around inside. The lens was broken and I had to send it back. I ordered from Adorama and same thing, except two air bags were popped. The lens was right up against the inside of the shipping box(which had outside damage). I'm fed up with poor packing. Does anyone wrap items or ship them with bubble wrap/packing peanuts anymore??

Sorry for the vent, but I'd like to purchase a new lens next month and not sure where to order.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 12, 2010
    I just got a D300s today from Adorama. It was packed with the "air bags" that all had air in them. I also ride a motorcycle and order "stuff" from a dealer in Florida that packs using the foam "peanuts". I hate those things. They spill out all over the place and the static makes them cling to everything.
    Whenever I package something, I shred newspaper and pack it in there tightly. I've never had a complaint yet.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I've ordered cameras and lenses from Adorama and Amazon and never had any trouble with either. Usually their boxes are well packed. Occasionally I've received a box that I thought should have had more padding inside, but nothing's ever been damaged.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I've ordered from B&H several times and have never had a problem.

You might do well to contact B&H directly to let them know they have a problem in their shipping department. They take pride in their reputation and if there's a problem I'm sure they'd want to know about it so they can fix it.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I've ordered so much stuff from B&H and Adorama that I really don't want to think about it. There have been a couple of boxes from B&H where the packaging has been sub-standard, but the product was unblemished. I've had zero issues from any other shipper.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I have ordered from both B&H photo and Adorama...and I am NOT impressed with the packing they do. I received a box from BH with flat plastic(air bags all popped) and the actual lens in manufacturer's box tumbling around inside. The lens was broken and I had to send it back. I ordered from Adorama and same thing, except two air bags were popped. The lens was right up against the inside of the shipping box(which had outside damage). I'm fed up with poor packing. Does anyone wrap items or ship them with bubble wrap/packing peanuts anymore??

Sorry for the vent, but I'd like to purchase a new lens next month and not sure where to order.

Thanks guys!
    I can certainly understand your hesitancy based on your above shipping results.

I think on most days Adorama, B&H, AMAZON, all do pretty darned well in the boxing and Shipping dept.
    but..and it is a big-ish but, It all really boils down to people and their management. Sounds as though you got a package packed by either an inexperienced person or an inept one. And either of those can be blamed on poor management And QC.

I order right regular from All the folks I mentioned and like others find boxes sometimes well handled, but packed really well with that in mind.

I'd like to say it was an anomaly, but you've had at least two incidents.

How was the information received on the sending end when you informed them of the issues with Packaging?

Curious?
    tom wise
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Hmm, maybe I was just the one in thousand that received a poorly packed item. headscratch.gif BH was great, they were very nice, apologized and refunded my money. Although, I just can't trust them to send a $1000+ lens after my personal experience. I didn't bother with Adorama, I ended up keeping the item and just made a mental note of their packing. I really didn't feel like making a complaint at the time. So, I guess I can cross my fingers and hope that they will pack the lens well this time w/Adorama. At least their air bags are smaller than B&H's are, so it offers a little more protection. Can everyone else cross their fingers too? *sigh*
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Are you ordering from outside of US ?
    If yes then your packages may have gone through customs who open and inspect your goods, and i don't know how well they do packing it again, here they do very bad job rolleyes1.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    I ordered from Adorama for couple times without any problem. Initially, it was the peanut foam packing later on was the airbags. So far no issue for me.

I did order it from overseas and let it sent to the office in US or the hotel I would check in. So far no problem at all. May be I am the lucky one.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Maybe your ups driver hates you. I've ordered a lot of stuff from adorama without incident. You do know that when you accept the package the driver has to note any damage done to the package if you tell him right? UPS monitors this as part of their internal QC
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Message from Helen at Adorama Camera
    ...I ordered from Adorama and same thing, except two air bags were popped....

Extremely concerned to read your posting, and firstly, please accept my sincere apologies.
    We always investigate every instance of sub-standard packaging that is brought to our attention, therefore I would be very grateful if you could spare the time to contact me directly with your order number.

Many thanks
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    I have ordered more than I care to think about from Amazon and Adorama (2 things inbound next week) and have never had a problem. Those airbags occasionally pop, but I have never had anything damaged. Not even the boxes that the "anything" came in. Sounds like you had a package that had a really rough ride.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.