And here we go.. Finally got a flash!

jason.moseleyjason.moseley Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 12, 2010 in People
So I finally got a 580exII and a nifty fifty in for my 40d. I'm ready for some fun! :clap

I took some samples last night and left the white balance on Auto, but everything has a red hue to it. I'm shooting under compact fluorescents but with the flash, that shouldn't matter that much right? Our ceiling and walls I bounced off of are white and beige-y, respectively.

Thanks for any assistance!

For reference: my daughters' hair is medium-to-dark brown. Not red! :dunno

786508023_RXdUZ-XL.jpg

786507012_Knb8f-XL.jpg

786508509_LaXiB-XL.jpg

-Jason
Go easy on me!

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Shoot in RAW, take a custom WB...and gel your flash to better match the ambient light in the room.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    The lights matter relative to how much work the flash is doing. First, the flash will try to light to a +0EV level, so if your camera thinks it is -2EV of ambient then the flash kicks in 2EV worth. Now, if you camera is metering at +0EV then the flash doesn't need to kick in much so your ambient will greatly effect the image, and the CF light will be mixing with the cooler light of the flash.

If you shot these in RAW, then you can likely get decent results by adjusting the White Balance in your RAW processor. You can still adjust the color balance for jpg, it is just more flexible (i.e., the data hasn't been processed down) when the file is still in RAW.

Looks like she warmed up to posing for you as the shoot went on. Cute kids!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site