Snoqualmie Falls HDR

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited February 13, 2010 in Landscapes
I've never really tried HDR much, but I recently downloaded the trial for Photomatix and wanted to test it out. I had taken some bracketed exposures while I was at Snoqualmie Falls this winter and decided to do a test run on them. I thought they turned out pretty good! I know they have that signature HDR look to them, but I don't really understand the program yet so left everything on defaults. Thought i would get some input from people on what they think, as well as any opinions people have for settings in the program that could make them look "better", whatever that means!

Enjoy!

786698972_WqJot-M.jpg786699124_QYXV5-M.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Nice job with the HDR, but truth be told...I prefer the non HDR versions. :Dthumb.gif I think of the two HDRs here, I prefer the one with silky water. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    thapamd wrote:
    Nice job with the HDR, but truth be told...I prefer the non HDR versions. :Dthumb.gif I think of the two HDRs here, I prefer the one with silky water. :D

Thanks! Yeah, I think I need to darken the blacks, and lighten the whites a bit. It does look more like the scene as I remember it though. The regular versions don't capture the full range of color and detail that I remember being able to see when I was there on this day.

Like I said, first time I've tried this HDR stuff, so hopefully as I learn the program and how to better tone map I will get better at it!

Thanks for the comments!
  • AzetteAzette Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2010
    I like them both the same :-? I mean the HDR has more depth to it and a bit more detail on the water and the clouds, sure, but the other one looks awesome the way it is too. My opinion is that, with a camera such as yours, clearly a good one managing to capture suce great images, you don't need to do a HDR image.
    edited February 12, 2010
    Azette wrote:
    I like them both the same :-? I mean the HDR has more depth to it and a bit more detail on the water and the clouds, sure, but the other one looks awesome the way it is too. My opinion is that, with a camera such as yours, clearly a good one managing to capture suce great images, you don't need to do a HDR image.

Maybe I should have been clear, these are both HDR images :D

I don't think I have any non HDR of the falls uploaded to my site at the moment.
  • AzetteAzette Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2010
    Ah then my bad my bad :D the late hour didn't allow me to think cleary :) in that case, I like them both the same :))
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    I like the second one (w/o silky water) better. Both are very good and a good example of what HDR is, not what these kids nowadays have appropriated as HDR and is nothing more than garish, unrealistic crap.

Well done sir.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
    edited February 13, 2010
    Thanks Azette and alexf!

I'm still learning this process and want to get better at processing them to look as natural as possible while still maintaining the extra dynamic range they provide.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Wendell... Have you been following me again? I just started playing with this as well...[url=""]This was my second attempt here[/url]. These I was happy with. I think they turned out great for my second attempt.

Anyways, as for your shots, I think I like the area around the falls better on the second shot as there seems to be a tad more contrast. I do prefer the water from the first shot, with the silky look to it. Then I think for the sky and top section of land, I prefer the first one. The sky isn't as dark and thus more realistic to me. The upper land section might be a little dark back in the trees and maybe losing some detail? I'm going to have to say that over all I like the first shot better, maybe just add a little more contrast to the cliff section that the falls is actually falling over.

When are you guys coming down this way to visit? We need to get out and do some shooting. I'm trying to work on these HDRs so they capture the scene as I saw it, but not be that overdone HDR look. Just taking a regular photo doesn't usually quite to the scene justice for me. Anyways...I'm working on it, as I see you are as well.
    edited February 13, 2010
    Wendell... Have you been following me again? I just started playing with this as well...This was my second attempt here. These I was happy with. I think they turned out great for my second attempt.

Anyways, as for your shots, I think I like the area around the falls better on the second shot as there seems to be a tad more contrast. I do prefer the water from the first shot, with the silky look to it. Then I think for the sky and top section of land, I prefer the first one. The sky isn't as dark and thus more realistic to me. The upper land section might be a little dark back in the trees and maybe losing some detail? I'm going to have to say that over all I like the first shot better, maybe just add a little more contrast to the cliff section that the falls is actually falling over.

When are you guys coming down this way to visit? We need to get out and do some shooting. I'm trying to work on these HDRs so they capture the scene as I saw it, but not be that overdone HDR look. Just taking a regular photo doesn't usually quite to the scene justice for me. Anyways...I'm working on it, as I see you are as well.

LoL, yeah, you know me! The second shot I actually spent more time on the tone mapping, which is why I think it has more contrast to it. Not sure when we are going to be able to make it down. Right now Renee's work is the limiting factor because she has to work Saturdays. As soon as we arable to figure something out we will let you know! We definitely need to go out shooting sometime!

Thanks for the comments!