Options

Broken Bat Shot

Ben CBen C Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited August 5, 2005 in Sports
Hi, I took this shot few weeks ago at Angel Stadium. Let me know what you think. Ben

45174059.jpg
Freelance Sports Photographer
http://sportspixel.com

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    That shot looks great. I love the detail (as in the muscles, and the broken wood), the colors and the background which is vague enough but still shows the spectators, and the fact that you get a good view on the player, the bat and the ball. The only thing that bothers me a tiny bit is the very tight crop above his cap.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Great catch!!! Next time you have him change his expression based on the fact his bat just broke? rolleyes1.gif

In all serious now, how did you get so close? I thought MLB prohibited large lenses at games? Do you know about this?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    ltdesignphotoltdesignphoto Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Great shot although I agree that the composition is a little tight on top. Otherwise this is an awesome shot. I love it!
    -t
    LINDSAY THOMPSON
    DESIGN • PHOTO • VIDEO
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with those above. Wonderful shot. The copyright notice is a bit large and distracting though, a smaller, less conspicuous one will still work and not detract so much.

Thanks for the post,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Great shot although I agree that the composition is a little tight on top. Otherwise this is an awesome shot. I love it!
    -t

Hi, everyone, I am a professional sports photographer and am credentialed to shoot various games. This shot as well as with majority of my shots are taken with a 400mm f/2.8 IS prime lens. This shot was taken from the 1st base photo well and is mostly in camera cropped. There is little time to compose the shot while the batter is dipping his head as he goes though the swing; I just try to keep him in the viewfinder without cutting off his lambs. I appreciate your inputs, thanks for looking. Ben
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Awesome timing! I definitely love shots like this, that capture an instant so perfectly. Great stuff!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    Awesome timing! I definitely love shots like this, that capture an instant so perfectly. Great stuff!

Coldclimb, thanks for your kind words. I appreciate this.

Ben
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Welcome, Ben! Really nice stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you. You mentioned the lens, but what body are you using?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Welcome, Ben! Really nice stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you. You mentioned the lens, but what body are you using?

Hi, DJ-S1, this was taken with a Canon IDMKII. Ben
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Ben C wrote:
    Hi, DJ-S1, this was taken with a Canon IDMKII. Ben

Welcome to dgrin Ben.

Great shot - peak of the action, captured perfectly.

Now.... tell the truth - was this a single frame, or one of a large series of frames on "8fps motor drive" with the 1DMkll and its 8 frames per second motor drive? I shoot with a 1DMkll sometimes also, and the motor drive does capture some shots that I would never see otherwise too.

Either way - a great capture!!

And my 3000th post - WOW!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Ben,

Nice shot. But others have suggested a crop. I don't see how you could crop
    without losing the ball or the top of his head.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    others have suggested a crop. I don't see how you could crop
    without losing the ball or the top of his head.

I don't read that in this thread. All I read is that some say that the current crop might be bit too tight in the top area. I don't think anyone would suggest an even tighter crop. To me, as stated, that's just a very minor thing, that I mentioned in the category "if there's one thing I'd like to see different". I like the picture as is, and surely understand the dynamics at work trying to shoot pictures like this. I'd love to be able to capture images this good.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin Ben.

Great shot - peak of the action, captured perfectly.

Now.... tell the truth - was this a single frame, or one of a large series of frames on "8fps motor drive" with the 1DMkll and its 8 frames per second motor drive? I shoot with a 1DMkll sometimes also, and the motor drive does capture some shots that I would never see otherwise too.

Either way - a great capture!!

And my 3000th post - WOW!!

Hi, Pathfinder, in shooting a batter, I am trying to capture the batter’s face and with a ball in the frame, preferably ball on bat (bob-see below), therefore, all my batting shots are shot with a single frame although the camera setting is on 8 fps. Because I work for a deadline wire service, I just don’t have the time to download and go through the extra unwanted frames. I am transmitting the 1st and 2nd inning shots by the 3rd inning. In the wire news business, every minute counts. In addition, you are not likely to get bob shots, even you are firing at 8fps. Let’s do the math, at 8 fps, each frame is firing at 0.125 of a second; most bob shots are timed to hundred of a second. Having said that, had I knew the bat was going to be broken; I would have shot at least 4-5 frames.

The capture of broken bat shot is a bit on the lucky side because I only shoot batters as a last resort at the games. By this I mean if there is no man on base (no double play, stealing base or sliding to base possibility) and only if the batter is facing me (if I am at the 1st base photo well, he has to be a right handed batter; conversely if I am at 3rd base photo well, he has to be a left handed batter). Even with the bob shots, it is way too common and there is no “news” worthiness in the shot. So the likelihood for me to capture a broken bat shot is slim. But, I guess if one shoots enough games, one would get lucky soon or later. Ben

43852665.jpg
    44040187.jpg
    44938762.jpg
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Ben,

Excellent shots thumb.gifthumb.gif You obviously know what you're doing, unlike some of us....Laughing.gif

I have passed your request up the channels and I hope to have an answer for you today :D

Steve

Oh yeah, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    Ben,

Excellent shots thumb.gifthumb.gif You obviously know what you're doing, unlike some of us....Laughing.gif

I have passed your request up the channels and I hope to have an answer for you today :D

Steve

Oh yeah, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Thanks, Steve and others. I just recently discover this site and you guys make feel very welcome. Ben
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Ben C wrote:
    Thanks, Steve and others. I just recently discover this site and you guys make feel very welcome. Ben
    rolleyes1.gif
    Welcomeclap.gif

I'm pretty new here too and you'll really find nothing but friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people here. Well some are more knowledgeable than others and the rest of us just try to keep up :bash. Keep posting your great shots.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Ben,
    Welcome to Dgrin and thnxs for sharing these excellent shots. I do have a question about your White Balance. Were the Rangers actually wearing purple uniforms? Did you change the color? I always thought their uniforms were blue. If you changed teh color you did a great job because it looks natural to me.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Ben,
    Welcome to Dgrin and thnxs for sharing these excellent shots. I do have a question about your White Balance. Were the Rangers actually wearing purple uniforms? Did you change the color? I always thought their uniforms were blue. If you changed teh color you did a great job because it looks natural to me.

4labs, you are not the first person mentioned this to me. I did not purposely change color of the uniform. Perhaps in my attempt to lighten the face using a 3rd party PS plug-in it created the colorcast. I just haven’t got around to play with it in PS yet. Ben
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Ben terrific shots, all of 'em. And thanks for sharing an insight into your technique with us. Great stuff! thumb.gif

I realized a while ago that shooters have to have their heads in the game every bit as much as players, in order to know where the action will be.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au