Kids of Suburbia- The start of a new project+bts video

JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 16, 2010 in People
Here are some images from the start of my new project, "Kids of Suburbia" I realized after deleting the senior superlative gallery on my site...I really had no projects on my site to show consistency in a common theme or idea. So inspired by the Screeching weasel song, "Hey Suburbia" I got this idea. Basically I talked with some friends and friends of friends that live in suburban neighborhoods to take a photo of them in their neighborhood holding something that represents them, or is one of their favorite things... I was surprised to say the least with the results.

Please note:
I do not condone nor did I influence or suggest the use of underage alcohol or tobacco. The reason why I didn't want to influence their decisions on what they did in the shot is because suburbia is so conformist forward...with the same house after house, that I wanted to show how the kids are still unique in their own way...what I found was everyone has been influenced to think just about the same way (To think money, drugs and alcohol are cool). If anything I think them smoking or drinking doesn't really add to the photo from a photographic standpoint at all...but adds to the story line and the whole idea of how suburbia and conformity go hand at hand, even when trying to be unique or different. I am aware that this set might potentially draw some fire...but I am prepared for that and plan to continue the project.

Here is the link to the behind the scenes video-
http://jimmy-hickey.blogspot.com/2010/02/kids-of-suburbia-start-of-new.html

Please let me know what you think! I really enjoy this project and am anxious to shoot more for it.
1) Calvin
787948534_rdUqX-L.jpg
2) Danny
787949062_89PkC-L.jpg
3) Michael
787950429_mcVSV-L.jpg
4) Zach
787949885_N3gzJ-L.jpg
5) Shylo
787953424_Qgd6N-L.jpg
6) Shay
787961976_NtMYv-L.jpg
7) Teran
788496337_XxySG-L.jpg
8) Hayden
788503541_FjVRH-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Your photos are wonderful and I really love your idea. The photos themselves make me quite sad. Growing up in Alaska ive always tried to run from suburbia and this only makes me want to more!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Very interesting series, and a bit depressing (I think the young lady with the gallon bottle of vodka was most depressing). I like how you shot these mid-street to get the housing surrounding them. #3 is my favorite of the group in terms of composition. There is something bothersome yet interesting in #8 with the hobby-horse kid and that massive transmission line tower in the background.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Really cool idea. My favorite of the bunch is #3. I was a big time skater/surfer as a kid so it brings back memories. However, technically and from a composition perspective, I also think it's the strongest of the lot.

I'd hate to say or sound archaic but some of those images reinforce my thought that some kids just need a good ass kicking. I got two as a kid growing up and each time they straighten me right up when I was starting to get out of control and thinking that I didn't have to listen to my parents.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    I think it's a great idea. Opens the eyes of the adults that don't think kids are influenced by what's around them. Or the parents that don't care.

It really is awakening to see what "item" represents them. I love the fact that one of them chose the American flag, hopefully of all of them, he has his head on the straightest.

It's sad to look at the stats of our high schoolers who smoke/drink/have sex or whatever 'bored' teenagers do.

I've been home all of an hour for a Senior shoot with one of our youth girls at church I told her to pick somewhere special to her, she chose the church, which isn't a pretty church at ALL, but I commend her for picking that one building above all of the others. It could have been worse, much much worse.
  • JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys. Happy to see the series is getting some positive reviews, I'm motivated to continue on with the project and bring even stronger stuff to the table:)

In regard to the kids, what I find sad is that the majority of them all chose contraband to be in their photos with them. The fact that they see that as what will make them cool or unique is what saddens me. Not the fact that they drink or smoke, but that when given the opportunity to choose ANYTHING that they want to accompany them in the photo, they chose a half gallon or a cig. The conformity of the kids themselves reflects the neighborhoods they grow up in.

And as far as the ass beatings...most of these kids' parents support their drug or alcohol abuse...again showing the sad reality of the project as a whole.
    edited February 15, 2010
    I think it's a great idea. Opens the eyes of the adults that don't think kids are influenced by what's around them. Or the parents that don't care.

It really is awakening to see what "item" represents them. I love the fact that one of them chose the American flag, hopefully of all of them, he has his head on the straightest.

It's sad to look at the stats of our high schoolers who smoke/drink/have sex or whatever 'bored' teenagers do.

I've been home all of an hour for a Senior shoot with one of our youth girls at church I told her to pick somewhere special to her, she chose the church, which isn't a pretty church at ALL, but I commend her for picking that one building above all of the others. It could have been worse, much much worse.

Sorry to report but he chose the American flag as a 'funny' or ironic prop, not out of respect for our country. If you see in the video he was treating it without the respect it deserved and I had to tell him to "treat the flag with respect" Some of the other photos that I deleted pretty much as soon as they got on my computer, were of him, the American flag, and some other illegal contraband....

One thing that I think helps me with this project is that I am the same age of most of these kids, or around the same age. And if they don't know me, they know of me through my photo work. I don't think many older photographers out there would be able to capture this real side of Suburbia without having the background and understanding of the subjects, as well as being able to relate to these kids. Interesting side note, I've shot 5 of the 12's seniors portraits...
    edited February 15, 2010
    You noted that the parents support their drinking and smoking. What is going on there that the parents think that this fine? Is it the theory of keeping them in the 'safe' stuff, so they don't go underground and end up with harder drugs?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited February 15, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    You noted that the parents support their drinking and smoking. What is going on there that the parents think that this fine? Is it the theory of keeping them in the 'safe' stuff, so they don't go underground and end up with harder drugs?

Honestly I'm not really sure what it is. I seem to know a fair amount of parents who have that sort of attitude about their kids behavior. I don't really think its that, atleast for most of them because they still do stuff behind their parents back. I think from personal observation its just that the parents share the same habits as their kids and can relate to their kids' desires. Maybe its a mixture of them both...but honestly I'm not sure, and I know it was weird for me when I went to my first party that had parents playing beer pong with their kids...
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:

These kids stories maybe different, but there was a lady that used to report to me. She had two teenage boys and she would openly admit to allowing them to throw parties at her home and she would buy the alcohol. The worst part is that the husband is a cop. Her rational was that they are going to do it anyway, so it's better that they do it in a controlled environment where she can keep an eye on them. One day, I got into with her because I told her it was completely irresponsible parenting. That the other parents are probably not aware that alcohol is being provided and they probably assume that it's a safe place since the party is at someone's home where parents are supervising.

Let's face it, kids are going to do things that aren't OK, but that doesn't mean you as a parent should condone it simply because "they're going to do it anyway".
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 15, 2010
    Honestly I'm not really sure what it is. I seem to know a fair amount of parents who have that sort of attitude about their kids behavior. I don't really think its that, atleast for most of them because they still do stuff behind their parents back. I think from personal observation its just that the parents share the same habits as their kids and can relate to their kids' desires. Maybe its a mixture of them both...but honestly I'm not sure, and I know it was weird for me when I went to my first party that had parents playing beer pong with their kids...
    Thanks.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    I like it and have a question; You mention this as being a "project".... What is it that you hope for as a 'net result'?
    edited February 15, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I like it and have a question; You mention this as being a "project".... What is it that you hope for as a 'net result'?
    A solid set of images in my portfolio with a consistent theme displaying how I am capable of telling a story or representing an entire idea through my photographs. While displaying my own artistic creativity and vision.
    edited February 15, 2010
    A solid set of images in my portfolio with a consistent theme displaying how I am capable of telling a story or representing an entire idea through my photographs. While displaying my own artistic creativity and vision.

OK.... 1,3 and 4, IMO are SOLID.

#2; The kid lacks interest - If he was having 'fun' wrongly treating the flag, that is what he should've brought to the plate here. He seems to be doing what he's being told instead of what he'd *like* to do.

#5; I crave to see more details in the darks. The ladies outfit defines her but I can't really see it (skirt, leggings).

#6; Better than 5 but not quite there... I like the camera angle on this better too.

#7 & 8; I think these would do better if the subs were brightened up a tad or the BG darkened and 7 might have benefited from a lower angle as well.... I dunno. ne_nau.gif

Just my thoughts.
    Really like the concept! mwink.gif
    edited February 15, 2010
    Maybe B&W's are needed for the last 2????? ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif
    edited February 15, 2010
    Thanks for your input stay tuned for the rest of the project.
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Have you thought of doing the series in Black and White. The processing seems as though you are going for a low contrast/muted/gritty look and feel which is probably appropriate for the subject matter. Historically, Black and White just does gritty better than muted color.

Just a thought and my $0.02 worth.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
    edited February 16, 2010
    dmmattix wrote:
    Have you thought of doing the series in Black and White. The processing seems as though you are going for a low contrast/muted/gritty look and feel which is probably appropriate for the subject matter. Historically, Black and White just does gritty better than muted color.

Just a thought and my $0.02 worth.

Mike

Thanks for the comment. However B&W just isn't the look I'm going for...really ever. I much prefer color.