Owen, 1 Year

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited February 22, 2010 in People
I did some more practicing on my friend's son this past weekend. I increased my shutter speed this time per advice in my previous threads, but all these still aren't quite as tack sharp as I would like. That is getting a little frustrating, but the parents were very pleased with them. They got to my place later than I was expecting and it was getting a little too dark to use 100% natural light, so I put my SB600 on camera at the lowest manual setting and bounced it back over my shoulder for a little bit of fill. I was happy with some of the expressions that I caught. This is Owen at almost exactly 1 year.

C&C welcome as always.

787722193_PiBzy-XL.jpg

787744041_MEGWn-XL.jpg

787757565_4pZK3-L.jpg

787755364_mWGpB-L.jpg

787767779_WajjE-L.jpg

787772266_cCDQC-L.jpg

787787841_6uvms-L.jpg

787771490_k9Evu-L.jpg

Complete gallery here.

Comments

• Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Great set. a few of them do seem a tad soft to me but still look very nice. I think a few also my have a tad bit harsh lighting. Overall very nice.
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    his expressions are priceless.. especially the first one...

Owen is a cutie!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Very sweet set of shots.
    Help me out, though. Why the f/2 on the shots? With a child, that seems like a very thin DOF with which to be working.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very sweet set of shots.
    Help me out, though. Why the f/2 on the shots? With a child, that seems like a very thin DOF with which to be working.

This was my thought, too, and is what is most likely contributing to the fact they aren't as tack sharp as you'd like. Very cute little one!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very sweet set of shots.
    You know I did the f/2 because I like a shallow dof and so I always just try to use the shallowest I can get away with. I've also been trying to practice hitting the focus points. I took a few more this weekend of my friend's son on his first birthday and decided to widen my dof a little bit as you suggested. I also went and got a piece of black foam. I was experimenting doing some with flash and some without. I had my flash on the lowest manual setting, thrown over my shoulder with the foamie thing. Adding just that bit of fill seemed to warm the pics up quite a bit.

This one was f/3.2. I caught the left eye, but not the one closest to the camera. He turned is head just as I was going to take the picture. What do you think is the shallowest I could go while still getting both eyes in focus?

793697531_MLSfQ-M.jpg

793697898_hKgGu-L.jpg

793995097_fM252-M.jpg
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    What a cutie. The f/stop is only part of the DOF equation. You need to account for focal length (adjusted for camera crop factor) and your distance to the subject. See this link for a table that shows you the DOF for given f/stop, focal length, distance values.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    That first one in the first set is something to whoop about! OMYGoodness, he is CUTE!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    hahah..these great! feels like they are form 1970's. I am not digging #7 though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    My nephew just got his helmet off I didn't think to take any photos when it was on. These are too cute.