how to prevent flash glare from windows?

babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited March 2, 2010 in Technique
Hello,

We're in a restaurant and my subjects have glass windows behind their backs. I take the shot and it looks good, except for the flash's reflection on the window. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Get the flash off the camera and outside the "family of angles."

Study "family of angles" in the book "Light, Science, and Magic"

The easy way is to never pose people in front of anything so reflective like glass, when a flash is involved. Get in the habit of looking for a matte wall background in those situations, not a window. If there must be a window, don't aim the camera at it straight on; setup the group so that you are shooting at an angle to the glass, an angle outside the family of angles.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    If you can't get the light off-camera, bounce your light behind you and to one side and up (if the ceilings are white-ish) so the light is coming from a place not straight-on. This makes your flash work harder, but the will be much more diffuse and worth doing if you can.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    If you can't get the light off-camera, bounce your light behind you and to one side and up (if the ceilings are white-ish) so the light is coming from a place not straight-on. This makes your flash work harder, but the will be much more diffuse and worth doing if you can.

I actually had the flash bouncing to the ceiling the whole time, and still the reflection exists. I was using a diffuser, the default one that comes with the SB900. does this make a difference?
    edited February 15, 2010
    I actually had the flash bouncing to the ceiling the whole time, and still the reflection exists. I was using a diffuser, the default one that comes with the SB900. does this make a difference?

If you bounce, you shouldn't need a diffuser -- not sure what it looks like since I don't shoot Nikon. If it looks like a Stoffen omni-bounce that spills a bunch of light forward and you will still have the same issue. Either way, if you are shooting straight (relative to your lens) the light it still axial, and you get the reflection problems. Try shooting the light up and to the right (or left) behind you. If you are oriented at 0-degrees, shoot at 135-degrees and up 45 or 60 degrees. The reflected light from the ceiling is now off-axis and much more diffuse.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    The Nikon SB 900 does not come standard with a flash diffuser. The flash head rotates up 90 degrees for bounce flash, but any diffuser on the flash is a non-Nikon accessory (of which there are many available).

That said, many stores sell packages that may include a diffuser which may make the OP think the diffuser is part of the Nikon system. And, Nikon products purchased in countries other than the US may be different.

Diffusers are useful for softening the flash effect on the subject, but this is a problem from what is behind the subject. Too often, we forget to notice this.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    thanks for your responses.

this is what I use. is this not a diffuser?

Nikon-SB-900-diffuser.jpg

this thing came with the unit that I bought on Amazon.

anyway, i still need a lot to learn about flash photography...
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010

Yes, that's a diffuser. It looks like a Flashpoint Diffuser. It's not a Nikon product, but it's been added to your camera purchase as an accessory as part of a camera kit. Adding accessories to make up a "kit" is a standard practice by many sellers. It's a good accessory to have.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited February 15, 2010
    This sort of diffuser thows light in all directions, though. It becomes a big white bulb on top of your flash. You need to keep light from spilling straight forward. Either flag the flash with some black foamcore:

786616555_PcnwX-L.jpg

Or make sure the flash is pointed away from your subject (as in pointed backwards).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Yes, that's a diffuser. It looks like a Flashpoint Diffuser. It's not a Nikon product, but it's been added to your camera purchase as an accessory as part of a camera kit. Adding accessories to make up a "kit" is a standard practice by many sellers. It's a good accessory to have.
    Tony,
    Every one of my (3) nikon flashes came with these diffusers. They are from Nikon. Not aftermarket.thumb.gif
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Hello,

We're in a restaurant and my subjects have glass windows behind their backs. I take the shot and it looks good, except for the flash's reflection on the window. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks

with that diffuser you can not prevent reflected glare from the window:

Things to try next time:

1) hold your hand or dinner plate in of the flash
    2) remove it in post processing
    3) bounce complete away from window with no diffuser
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 17, 2010
    If I HAD to keep the flash on my camera, (and in a public retaurant the patrons may get restless if you begin to set up a light stand near them), I would fire the flash to my right or left with maybe 15-20 degrees of elevation, with a barndoor on the forward edge of the flashtube assembly, so that the light reaching the subject would be coming from the right or left, and not from the axis of the lens or the shooting axis. This will minimize the light reflected from the windows, as any flash that hits the window will be very oblique and bounce away from the shooting axis. A gobo like this would work fine - Or you could hold a brown fedora alongside the flash and accomplish the same thing.

Like Quarik said!!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    That piece of black foam seems popular among the pros. I have to try that out! Recently I was taking pictures of some friends out for drinks and I had the problem of uneven bounce light spilling on them. It would probably help the OP as well.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010

TonyCooper wrote:

Tony that is actually a Nikon Part....comes packaged with the SB 900 in the lower compartment of the protective bag and they (they as in the diffuser and gel holder) have actual Nikon Part numbers.....they are not add on's from 3rd party companies or retailers giving you supposed extras at inflated prices........

Cut and pasted from the Nikon SB 900 page .........
    • icon_yellow_bullet.gifSupplied Accessories
      • AS-21 Speedlight Stand
      • SW-13H Diffusion Dome
      • SJ-900 Color Filter Set
      • SZ-2 Color Filter Holder
      • SS-900 Soft Case
      *Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area.

Joe McNally even makes mention of the diffuser in his Hot Shoe Diaries .....as well as the other diffusers he uses regularly........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    with that diffuser you can not prevent reflected glare from the window:

Things to try next time:

1) hold your hand or dinner plate in of the flash
    2) remove it in post processing
    3) bounce complete away from window with no diffuser

thanks for your suggestions. I was just thinking of #3, and will try it next time. Thanks!
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    If I HAD to keep the flash on my camera, (and in a public retaurant the patrons may get restless if you begin to set up a light stand near them), I would fire the flash to my right or left with maybe 15-20 degrees of elevation, with a barndoor on the forward edge of the flashtube assembly, so that the light reaching the subject would be coming from the right or left, and not from the axis of the lens or the shooting axis. This will minimize the light reflected from the windows, as any flash that hits the window will be very oblique and bounce away from the shooting axis. A gobo like this would work fine - Or you could hold a brown fedora alongside the flash and accomplish the same thing.

Like Quarik said!!thumb.gif
    im sorry, what's a barndoor?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 23, 2010
    A barn door is an opening into a barn to allow animals or tractors to enter or depart.thumb.gif

It is also a generic term for a black flat piece of material - foamcore, wood, canvas, aluminum etc - that can be used to prevent light from diverging from its source. I had the link to the Honl gobo in my post - http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/the-7/strobist-speedlight-strobe-flash/Detail
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    A barn door is an opening into a barn to allow animals or tractors to enter or depart.thumb.gif

It is also a generic term for a black flat piece of material - foamcore, wood, canvas, aluminum etc - that can be used to prevent light from diverging from its source. I had the link to the Honl gobo in my post - http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/the-7/strobist-speedlight-strobe-flash/Detail
    I'm with pathfinder on this. Honl gobo does the job. I recently got myseflt a pair of these (the barndoors :)).

Also useful as a bounce card: Honl Photo Bounce Card / Gobo review

honl-photo-speed-bounce-card.jpghonl-photo-speed-gobo.jpghonl-photo-speed-bounce-card-vs-catchlight-card.jpg
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    I've heard you can do neat tricks by polarizing your lights and your lens. Rosco Polarizing filter gels are about $40 for a sheet. Though I just found a company that sells sheets for $10.

I'll let you all know how this turns out.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I've heard you can do neat tricks by polarizing your lights and your lens. Rosco Polarizing filter gels are about $40 for a sheet. Though I just found a company that sells sheets for $10.

I'll let you all know how this turns out.

polarize your flash in one dir and your lens in another direction..hmm sounds interesting. It depends on the boucne surface though..will the bounced light off an window still maintain the incoming polarization? off a perfect mirror maybe..I would think to some extent it would but not entirely.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com