First photos with new 5DII

acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited February 17, 2010 in Landscapes
I received my new 5DII last week but was so busy with school that I wasn't able to get out until this weekend to really try it out. After 3 1/2 years of shooting with a 30D (which I was comfortable with and enjoyed) this camera is a huge step up. The dynamic range is very impressive and the viewfinder is much larger and brighter. Anyway, this isn't a review of the body...here are the pics that resulted from my first outing:

1. Bruneau Canyon, Owyhee County, Idaho. The overcast light allowed for even lighting in the canyon.
789030174_52d4o-L.jpg

2. Bruneau Canyon two shot stitch. The cliff face along the right side of the frame was slightly in the shade despite the overcast light, that is why it appears darker. I brought up the black point slightly in curves to even it out a little.
788996623_d277S-M.jpg

3. Poison Creek rocks, Owyhee County, Idaho
789000685_BeKfL-L.jpg

4. Rock detail at Poison Creek, Owyhee County, Idaho. A little bit of light broke through and help bring out a little definition to the rock.
789000051_vPwxS-L.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Congrats on the upgrade! Agreed, the 30D is a great camera but the 5DII is a big step up and one that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Idaho has some really cool-looking terrain there. Hope you get more time to get acquainted with the new toy! thumb.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Very nicely done, Aaron! You'll love the 5D MkII. It's a great tool, but not a replacement for talent, which you obviously already have! :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Thanks for the comments! I will be looking forward to taking some star trail/point pictures next week while up in the mountains. Hopefully the conditions allow.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    thapamd wrote:
    Very nicely done, Aaron! You'll love the 5D MkII. It's a great tool, but not a replacement for talent, which you obviously already have! :Dthumb.gif

The 5D MIII actually has a built in talent sensor, can't wait for it to be released!

Aaron - enjoy your new toy, looks like you already are, nice shots of a place that I'm unfamiliar with (even though I was born in Idaho).
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Congrats Aaron, and nice shots thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    The 5D MIII actually has a built in talent sensor, can't wait for it to be released!

Aaron - enjoy your new toy, looks like you already are, nice shots of a place that I'm unfamiliar with (even though I was born in Idaho).

Ron,

I've only lived in Idaho for 3 1/2 years (I grew up in Kentucky) and I've been surprised how many of my friends haven't been to some of these places either. Most of my friends are either hikers or 4x4ers(?) and it takes an out-of-state transplant to show them. Owyhee County has seemingly endless possibilities.