30 October, 1965, Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford, Conn.

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited February 17, 2010 in Street and Documentary
When giants walked the earth.

Shot from the balcony with a 135 Schneider f 3.5 on a Honeywell Pentax - on Tri-X.

789130124_qaPyQ-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    When giants walked the earth.

Shot from the balcony with a 135 Schneider f 3.5 on a Honeywell Pentax - on Tri-X.

Very nice. How far did you have to push that Tri-X? 1600?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Very nice. How far did you have to push that Tri-X? 1600?
    That was a lonnng time ago- my senior year in high school. I'm going to guess 400 or 800, in Acufine or Diafine.
    For decades all I've had is a tiny print of the left hand image in a copy of the school paper. Then the other day an envelope arrived in the mail with two dusty, well loved, well thumbed
    little prints - copies of copies. No note, but the return address had the name of someone I went to school with, who I have reconnected with on Facebook. So I scanned the images at 4800 dpi and went to work with Photoshop. The quality isn't great, but together like this, in a 16x20 frame with an 11x14 mat opening, it looks quite cool - especially if one is a Dylan afficianado.

mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 15, 2010
    With hungry hearts through the heat and cold
    We never thought we could ever get very old
    We thought we could sit forever in fun
    Our chances really was a million to one.

-Bob Dylan's Dream
  • phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    That was a lonnng time ago- my senior year in high school. I'm going to guess 400 or 800, in Acufine or Diafine.
    For decades all I've had is a tiny print of the left hand image in a copy of the school paper. Then the other day an envelope arrived in the mail with two dusty, well loved, well thumbed
    little prints - copies of copies. No note, but the return address had the name of someone I went to school with, who I have reconnected with on Facebook. So I scanned the images at 4800 dpi and went to work with Photoshop. The quality isn't great, but together like this, in a 16x20 frame with an 11x14 mat opening, it looks quite cool - especially if one is a Dylan afficianado.

mwink.gif

Wonderful story. The only thing I might do differently is put the acoustic image on the left, since he did the first half of those shows folk, and the second electric. Yes, I am waaaaay too literal. Still, a great document. Looking at it, I can almost here the cries of "Judas!"
    edited February 15, 2010
    Wonderful story. The only thing I might do differently is put the acoustic image on the left, since he did the first half of those shows folk, and the second electric. Yes, I am waaaaay too literal. Still, a great document. Looking at it, I can almost here the cries of "Judas!"

Yah, a tad too literal. :-) And no cries of Judas there - this was Hartford, Conn, not UK.rolleyes1.gif And don't forget, "Like A Rolling Stone" had been on the charts that summer. There were certainly people waiting for the acoustic portion of the show, but I think by then in the U.S., people who thought he was 'Judas' weren't buying tickets.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    awesome
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Wonderful. I look at these and I hear "My Back Pages" or "Positively 4th St." or "Mr. Tambourine Man" or "Love Minus Zero / No Limit" or ...
    If not now, when?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Wonderful. I look at these and I hear "My Back Pages" or "Positively 4th St." or "Mr. Tambourine Man" or "Love Minus Zero / No Limit" or ...

I thought you weren't old? Who was that in Virginia's image?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

mwink.gif

B.D.

What a wonderfully validating experience!

This is reminiscent of my Dad's similar experiences over the years. He is frequently contacted by old students and musicians that learned from or performed with him. He was a music teacher and choral conductor with a career lasting 40+ years. I took a month around 11 to 12 years ago to digitise the tapes of his concerts and performances dating back to the 1950's to ensure they wouldn't be lost.

His music and your images are such a legacy.
    edited February 16, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I thought you weren't old? Who was that in Virginia's image?

Oh, I am definitely old. mwink.gif Depending, of course, on your definition of old. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (That is, after all, me in the photo to the left - although it is about a five-year-old photo.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Nice presentation job. Appropriately gritty true like the sounds you would have been hearing.

Keep it alive!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited February 17, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    B.D.

What a wonderfully validating experience!

This is reminiscent of my Dad's similar experiences over the years. He is frequently contacted by old students and musicians that learned from or performed with him. He was a music teacher and choral conductor with a career lasting 40+ years. I took a month around 11 to 12 years ago to digitise the tapes of his concerts and performances dating back to the 1950's to ensure they wouldn't be lost.

His music and your images are such a legacy.

Thanks, Jen - I just wish I hadn't lost virtually all my non-family, pre-mid 1990s or so negatives. Including, but not limited to, the 40 rolls of film I shot of the 1964 Newport Folk Festival; a two-day, late October 1968 trip on the Hubert Humphrey campaign bus and plane; all my Somalia negatives; and on and on. :cry
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    OMG what happened to them BD?

You photos of your hero are terrific. What a time you must have had.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited February 17, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    OMG what happened to them BD?

You photos of your hero are terrific. What a time you must have had.

Thanks, Patti - Well, the Newport stuff - who knows? At some point over the years the contact sheets and negs - all produced in the Life Magazine darkroom (long story) disappeared, probably during one of many moves.
    Newsday, for whom I shot in Somalia, managed to lose/misplace all my negs.

The Humphrey stuff - again, who knows.

Ah well....ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com