Early Spring in the Columbia River Gorge

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 19, 2010 in Landscapes
As the forecast called for rain and overcast weather, I decided to make the 3 hour drive to the Columbia River Gorge to take some waterfall photos.

Due to the high temperatures/early snow melt and recently high rainfall, the waterfalls are running at the same level they were last May, and because everything was wet, the colors were that much more saturated (unfortunately there isn't as much green as spring, but otherwise conditions were the same).

It's an amazing experience seeing all the ephemeral waterfalls cascading several hundred feet down the sides of the gorge.

Here are some of my favorite shots from the trip.

#1: Wahclella Falls:

788601816_qJjHK-XL.jpg

#2: Latourell Falls

788611565_6wy4R-XL.jpg

#3: Elowah Falls

788605668_35aLh-XL.jpg

#4: Multnomah Falls

788619082_Sz4VG-XL.jpg

#5: Ephemeral waterfall (same one as #1 near Wahclella Falls):

788602764_jSiEP-XL.jpg

Comments

• MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    What beautiful shots!!! I love #2 and #4. #2 because I have a preference for those soft streams of water, and #4 because that is just an awesome composition. :D
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Great set, Ron! That makes me want to go back to the waterfalls. I like the foggy atmosphere too.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Really like the first and second one Ron.

Composition, Colors, and Exposure- all very nice. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Awesome! We gotta visit again in the spring. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    These are all fantastic, I love #4!!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

Mahesh - I'll definitely be back in the spring, and fall too. Actually summer isn't too bad on an overcast/wet day (on a weekday when there's no people), as you can get some flowers, example:

758412492_hEec4-XL.jpg

We're lucky to live so close to this place.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    These are pretty good landscapes for a bird photographer rolleyes1.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Great set, Ron. I particularly like the silky water you are getting in the second.
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Great shots. I would definately make that drive often. Is it crowded in the summer?
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
    edited February 17, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    These are pretty good landscapes for a bird photographer rolleyes1.gif

You mean bison photographer right? :D

574306439_Kyfcb-M-1.jpg
    edited February 17, 2010
    cbbr wrote:
    Great shots. I would definately make that drive often. Is it crowded in the summer?

Yes, all the trails are definitely more crowded in the summer, you can still get some decent shots if the weather is good (overcast or in the shade), but you have to have a lot more patience. Multnomah Falls in particular is very busy, as are the trailheads for the Eagle Creek Falls, Elowah Falls, and Wahclella Falls (easy hikes with spectacular scenery - they're popular for a reason!). My preferred time to photograph is while it's raining on a weekday.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    OMG that bison shot is too cute. Did you secretly shoot for Hallmark on the side? :D

Really though the waterfalls are always gorgeous when you shoot them. The colors around the falls are amazing, and I love the flowers in the summer version. Location, location, location, indeed!
    edited February 17, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    OMG that bison shot is too cute. Did you secretly shoot for Hallmark on the side? :D
    Hallmark?

298723756_qMtHU-M.jpg

(And I have more where that came from! But I will exercise discretion in the Landscapes forum).

:D
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    I took some shots there a month or so ago. There are UNLIMITED beautiful things to photograph in the Gorge all year round. The more you hike, the more you find. Oregon truly is a wonderful place to live.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=155190
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    9496500-Ti.gifS-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R!

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Beautiful photos- my computer display feels damp.:D
    I like the cascade on the right of the frame in #1, and how it draws my eye along the rock face to the falls in the distance.
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Hallmark?

298723756_qMtHU-M.jpg

(And I have more where that came from! But I will exercise discretion in the Landscapes forum).

:D
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif (you should post this, and some of your others, in the wildlife forum Ron. The folks over there would really love theseiloveyou.gif
  • Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    #1 is definitely my favorite of the bunch, I particularly like the desolate feeling of the bridge at the bottom of the shot.

How on earth did you get a shot of Multnomah Falls without any people in it?? Perhaps I was just there at the wrong time of year, but I waited ages and ages and still never managed to get a people-less shot.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    And I thought you were a beach photographer! rolleyes1.gif

Great series, Ron. That silky water in #2 is simply gorgeous. I do envy you living around such beauty! I hope to visit the Columbia River Gorge someday--it's on my "bucket list."

Good stuff, as always!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 18, 2010
    Dedalus77 wrote:
    #1 is definitely my favorite of the bunch, I particularly like the desolate feeling of the bridge at the bottom of the shot.

How on earth did you get a shot of Multnomah Falls without any people in it?? Perhaps I was just there at the wrong time of year, but I waited ages and ages and still never managed to get a people-less shot.

Go really early or really late when it's raining or the weather is nasty and it's generally OK, weekdays better than weekends obviously. You can also take multiple identical exposures as people move across the bridge and then merge them altogether and mask out the people.
    edited February 18, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    And I thought you were a beach photographer! rolleyes1.gif

Great series, Ron. That silky water in #2 is simply gorgeous. I do envy you living around such beauty! I hope to visit the Columbia River Gorge someday--it's on my "bucket list."

Good stuff, as always!

Lauren

Thanks! But I'm actually a bee photographer:

318089804_hFvQR-M.jpg:D
    edited February 18, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif (you should post this, and some of your others, in the wildlife forum Ron. The folks over there would really love theseiloveyou.gif

Thanks Dan, perhaps I will eventually. Right now I feel like I can barely keep up with the Landscapes forum!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Great series Ron- love #5 in particular clap.gif
    edited February 18, 2010
    edited February 18, 2010

Cheers,
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Actually summer isn't too bad on an overcast/wet day (on a weekday when there's no people), as you can get some flowers,

We're lucky to live so close to this place.

I'd love to live within a days drive of this rather than a day's flight. Actually, Australia is pretty good too so I shouldn't be so jealous. I love #4 and the perspective of #2. Brilliant!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

You said that it is not too bad in summer? Got a family holiday lined up for this summer so hoping that the waterfalls will still have plenty of water in them?

Top shots! And those wildlife shots are awesome too!!
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
    edited February 19, 2010
    Birds? Bees? Where are the dogs and cats? mwink.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 19, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    I'd love to live within a days drive of this rather than a day's flight. Actually, Australia is pretty good too so I shouldn't be so jealous. I love #4 and the perspective of #2. Brilliant!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

You said that it is not too bad in summer? Got a family holiday lined up for this summer so hoping that the waterfalls will still have plenty of water in them?

Top shots! And those wildlife shots are awesome too!!

It depends on the waterfall, Multnomah will go all year long as will (I believe) Wahclella, some of the others can dry up quite a bit in late summer. The biggest issue will be the weather (clear) and crowds (abundant).
    edited February 19, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Birds? Bees? Where are the dogs and cats? mwink.gif

Well actually if I photograph birds, and I photograph bees, I don't think the next logical step is dogs and cats lol3.gif
    edited February 19, 2010
    I see your point, Ron . . . You win this round. bowdown.gif

I think I'll go back to your site and look at those beach shots some more . . . :cavig

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com