Emily, Class of 2010

l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited February 19, 2010 in People
After re-scheduling twice before (once due to weather, another due to her being sick) we were FINALLY able to shoot Emily's senior shots. I let her pick two locations, an inside and an outside. Since she's going to college at Centenary in Shreveport, LA, she chose to shoot inside her church for her inside and she wanted "somewhere pretty" for her outside. Not much blooms in early February to be qualified as "pretty"... We decided on a plantation about 20 minutes north of her church.

The church shots were done about 9 this morning, we had to take advantage of the lights coming through the stained glass on the east side of the sanctuary.. We shot the plantation shots starting at 3 to avoid that midday sun and to let it warm up a tad (the high today was 45ish) knowing she wanted to be outside in her dress.

Jeffreaux2, you should recognize her instantly :)

4361661554_f44ed801a5.jpg

2.1 - Our version of an Urban Outfitters Ad
4360920463_fc6c4cd6e4.jpg

4361661918_d85bf2e5ef.jpg

4361662864_602f5ef131.jpg

Comments

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    beautiful photos, especially #1. love the lighting, composition, everything.
    Kristen
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    #1 is a homer!
    Good Goin'. clap.gif
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    thanks guys!!

Our church isn't very attractive - at ALL. While we do have stained glass on the east and west sides, that's about it as far as aesthetic beauty goes. We were struggling to get her to a) not blink and b) real smile for us, as soon as she got the guitar out, it was smooth sailing after that!

I did manage to get one of her on the kneeler "praying" with her silhouette coming through the stained glass, I'll have to put the finishing touches on it and post it as well.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Very nice. I particularly like #2.1.

Sam
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    I'm liking the first one a lot. Is there any point/chance of removing the air vent from right over her head? Perhaps it would mess up her memory of what the church really looks like.

2.1 is my preferred of the second one. I love the wall as the counter point.

I like the idea of 3, but the shadow under her eye makes her look very tired.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited February 16, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I'm liking the first one a lot. Is there any point/chance of removing the air vent from right over her head? Perhaps it would mess up her memory of what the church really looks like.

I hate those air vents, too -- I'm not sure she'll notice if we erase it, the church isn't breathtaking - at ALL. There's a cross on the back wall (the dark wall WAY behind her) and I was fighting it coming out of her head in that shot.
    2.1 is my preferred of the second one. I love the wall as the counter point.

We couldn't decide which one we liked better, her hair framing her face was just beyond perfect. Her sister was there with us and she kept trying to get it out of her face but it worked on some of them.
    I like the idea of 3, but the shadow under her eye makes her look very tired.

She was exhausted, up late the night before. The shots we did early in the morning really showed how tired she was.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    I can't see a thing...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    1 & 4! thumb.gif
    edited February 18, 2010
    With a little use of the patch tool and a little screening with the art history brush, I lightened the dark side under her eye. I think it really helps the feel of #3.
    lkm.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited February 18, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    With a little use of the patch tool and a little screening with the art history brush, I lightened the dark side under her eye. I think it really helps the feel of #3.
    lkm.jpg

Thank you, Andrew!!!

Mind if I steal it? :D
    edited February 18, 2010
    Thank you, Andrew!!!

Mind if I steal it? :D
    Steal away, but I'd think working on a full-res starting point would work better for you than my low-res jpg. If you don't have PS or something that can fix the eye, I can make an edit if you want.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited February 18, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Steal away, but I'd think working on a full-res starting point would work better for you than my low-res jpg. If you don't have PS or something that can fix the eye, I can make an edit if you want.

I use LR, Aperture and PS, depending on what needs to be done. I didn't even notice her eye until it was mentioned in the forum, we LOVE that shot, so we're going to give it some extra love before it gets printed. I haven't heard a lot of feedback from her if she loves them or not, her sister loved them, though :)

When it comes to certain edits, I'm better and when it comes to other, they get handed over to the hubby, just depends on what needs to be done. He worked for THREE hours on a hanger strap that slipped out of the sleeve on a wedding dress during bridals for me. I don't have that kind of patience :)
    edited February 18, 2010
    I use LR, Aperture and PS, depending on what needs to be done. I didn't even notice her eye until it was mentioned in the forum, we LOVE that shot, so we're going to give it some extra love before it gets printed. I haven't heard a lot of feedback from her if she loves them or not, her sister loved them, though :)

When it comes to certain edits, I'm better and when it comes to other, they get handed over to the hubby, just depends on what needs to be done. He worked for THREE hours on a hanger strap that slipped out of the sleeve on a wedding dress during bridals for me. I don't have that kind of patience :)
    Then. All I did was use the patch tool to select (roughly) the dark area, dragged it down to her cheek for replacement, and then used the history brush/screen 10% to lighten a little bit where it was a bit dark still. That worked for the lower res, at least.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited February 18, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Then. All I did was use the patch tool to select (roughly) the dark area, dragged it down to her cheek for replacement, and then used the history brush/screen 10% to lighten a little bit where it was a bit dark still. That worked for the lower res, at least.

you're awesome. I owe you!

I know how to use the patch tool/clone/repair whatever program you're using calls it by a different name. I'm just the kind that wants a one-program work flow, which gets blown out the window because I want the watermark in the best spot for it, not where a batch edit through Aperture would put it. Oh well, I'm still learning that part.
    edited February 18, 2010
    you're awesome. I owe you!

I know how to use the patch tool/clone/repair whatever program you're using calls it by a different name. I'm just the kind that wants a one-program work flow, which gets blown out the window because I want the watermark in the best spot for it, not where a batch edit through Aperture would put it. Oh well, I'm still learning that part.
    Patch is one of the healing brush types on CS4. Learned about here on Dgrin....
    For watermarking, have you tried using the LR2/Mogrify plugin?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited February 18, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Patch is one of the healing brush types on CS4. Learned about here on Dgrin....
    For watermarking, have you tried using the LR2/Mogrify plugin?

very very interesting.... hmmm... guess that needs to be downloaded :)

Thanks!!
  • JheyerckJheyerck Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I LOVE 1 and 3. They are great. Shows her personality!
    -Jessica♥, Learning