Bee in flight

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited February 17, 2010 in Holy Macro
There were several bees buzzing around a flowering hedge along the line between my property and my neighbor's on Sunday. Out of several shots I took of them, I think this one is the coolest.

The rest of the gallery is here.

C&C appreciated.

788699778_J9U8m-L.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Tokina ATX M100 AF Pro D 100mm f/2.8 macro lens
1/1000 sec. at f/2.8, ISO 200
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 16, 2010
    a good try, its very addictive trying to shoot bif shots :D

always preferable to shoot head on rolleyes1.gif
    phil
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Oh, I disagree about shooting head-on. The subject here is really the bee's relationship with the flower, not the bee's body, so there's nothing wrong with shooting from behind if it makes the animal's intentions clear. I'd have liked to see the bee in focus though (especially to see those loaded pollen baskets), and shot a little closer in -- obviously you have about a half a moment to react and compose this shot, so it's definitely not always possible.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    mehampson wrote:
    Oh, I disagree about shooting head-on. The subject here is really the bee's relationship with the flower, not the bee's body, so there's nothing wrong with shooting from behind if it makes the animal's intentions clear.

Yes, that's how I see it.
    I'd have liked to see the bee in focus though (especially to see those loaded pollen baskets), and shot a little closer in -- obviously you have about a half a moment to react and compose this shot, so it's definitely not always possible.

The bee's head and antennae actually are in focus (which is pure luck; it was zipping around very quickly, and several other shots didn't come out this well), but there isn't enough DOF at the aperture I was using to get the whole body in focus. Had I been shooting at, say, f/8 and ISO 1600, the bee's body would be sharper but so would the background leaves.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Good BIF shot - I realise how tricky these are but would have preferred more focus on the bee rather than the flower.
    Brian V.