Winter in New England & a Lens Test

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited February 19, 2010 in Landscapes
I needed to try out a new Pentax DA 16-45 I just received so I went to my local conservation area. I thought I'd share a few, nothing real special but I liked how much sharper the lens was compared to my kit.

#1 View through the Rush

789923037_F6NmS-L.jpg

#2 Birch Contrast

789925861_CXD7X-L.jpg

#3 Desolation

789936781_AK85F-L.jpg

Thanks for looking....

Comments

• DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Very sharp..

I love MA, I lived near the Cape and the view was amazing.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Very nice Tom. I think you are going to love that lens judging by these. Congratsthumb.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Your lens (both infront of the camera and in your head) are great! Beautiful landscapes! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Thanks, all. I'm looking forward to doing some serious shooting with this lens.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Well done, Tom! I look forward to seeing more shots with this lens. I envy you having such a great place so close to you. I'm tired of sun and 60 degree days . . . anyone wanna trade? :D

I like #2 a lot. I am chasing a nice tree shot on my visits to Maine but so far I haven't gotten what I want. Maybe I should visit your area next time.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Well done, Tom! I look forward to seeing more shots with this lens. I envy you having such a great place so close to you. I'm tired of sun and 60 degree days . . . anyone wanna trade? :D

I like #2 a lot. I am chasing a nice tree shot on my visits to Maine but so far I haven't gotten what I want. Maybe I should visit your area next time.

Lauren

Thanks, Lauren.

That's kind of cool for central Texas. I remember many years ago when I lived in Austin sometimes in February it could get in the nineties.

The birch are a little difficult to shoot. They aren't nice and clean like the Aspen in Colorado. There's a lot of underbrush and shoots everywhere. I had to boost up the contrast in the tree line because the birch weren't standing out in the picture like they did with my brain. The processors in our heads are much better than the ones in the camera so we have to compensate in post.

It was a nice warm day, for New England. It was in the low 30's with about a 15-20 mph wind.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Tom - Thanks for the tips on shooting birch. The underbrush is definitely one of the problems I've faced--it's hard to find a clean line of trees without "stuff" everywhere getting in the way. And I echo your comment on the processors in head v. camera! It's something I'm struggling with in a big way. I guess that means more practice. For me, it also means slowing down and looking more before I shoot. But that's a subject for another day and another thread.

Hope we can meet up and shoot next time I'm in Maine!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com