Aerials: Volusia County, Florida

aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
edited February 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Some aerials from around Volusia County, Florida. Volusia is on the east coast between Cape Canaveral and Jacksonville. Daytona Beach, Deland, and Ormond Beach are notable cities in the county.

Hontoon Island/State Park on the St John's River, western Volusia:
784175024_zRCgN-M.jpg

From between Deland and New Smyrna Beach looking north, the urban skyline is Daytona Beach. The grandstands of Daytona International Speedway can be seen in the low structure on the left. Driving along I95 and I4 doesn't show how much nothing there is in the area.
784172156_YTpbH-M.jpg

Central Florida's "winter colors". The past couple of months have seen sub-freezing temperatures, ice, and a little snow - all of which has browned out the grasses a little more than usual. This is a swamp area around "Spruce Creek" where I think the temps have even given the trees a little more color than usual:
784174275_VKeJ6-M.jpg

Just behind the school bus on US1 in Edgewater is the Tropical Bee Honey Co. The company was founded in 1940 and has a museum at this location:
784169604_bLfyE-M.jpg

Ponce de Leon Light Station is located at Ponce Inlet on the southernmost point of the Daytona Beach area. It's the tallest lighthouse in Florida and was completed in 1887:
784158681_9AxPy-M.jpg

Daytona Beach's "Main Street" Pier and boardwalk:
784160746_pzeDp-M.jpg

"Downtown" Daytona Beach: The heart of Daytona is across the river west of the beach. The original "downtown" area features shops and buildings that date back to the early 20th century:
784154640_yQRrh-M.jpg

Finally, from the north-eastern part of the county over Ormond Beach looking south along the Halifax river.
784176256_b5GSN-M.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2010
    These photos bring back memories for me. My parents lived in New Smyrna Beach, just southwest of the small community airport. There was a man made lake behind their house. Thanks for jogging my memory.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Isn't the St. Johns River the only North flowing river in the US? Anyway, nice shots, and my favorites are the ones of the Daytona pier and boardwalk, and the light house!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Isn't the St. Johns River the only North flowing river in the US? Anyway, nice shots, and my favorites are the ones of the Daytona pier and boardwalk, and the light house!

I think it is. It meanders quite a bit too. Up north of us it's a really big, wide, significant river. South it turns into a twisty narrow thing. When it gets really dry it almost seems to disappear.

I'm hoping to get more from the area this weekend if I can squeeze it in between paying jobs!
  • aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    captain78 wrote:
    These photos bring back memories for me. My parents lived in New Smyrna Beach, just southwest of the small community airport. There was a man made lake behind their house. Thanks for jogging my memory.

There are two airport there. One is a WW2-era airport, the other is a smaller strip. The bigger airport has a control tower now and has a good amount of traffic (mostly training). The other used to be a grass strip but it's been paved about 10 years now and has quite a few 50x50-sized hangars.

Things keep growing!