Dancing Lion

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Maybe these are street shots, but here they sit in Other Cool Shots.

I really like the yellow color wash; saw some old film photos with a similar look and so I do up some of my photos with it. Hope you all like it as well.

Anyway, right now this is the Chinese New Year (Feb 14th). I'm in the country so I am able to see some more traditional things than I might see in a larger city. One of the things I saw recently was a "lion dance." The idea behind this dance is malevolent spirits will be frightened away. The Chinese have all sorts of superstitions. Some are still very much alive today. I'm not sure how much people really believe in the lion dance today, but no matter, I got to see it.

I'm not sure overall how pleased I am with the shots I got. But I like a few of them. Comments and criticisms please.

Without further ado:

DSC_1174.jpg
A man scurries for safety as a string of firecrackers goes off.

DSC_1176.jpg
A lion dancer frollicks in the flying paper and smoke. There are actually 2 costumes that these lion dance troupes use. One is newer and it is used for the majority of the dance. However, an older, grungier costume is used when the fireworks go off for obvious reasons.

304_7596.jpg
This is the cleaner of the two costumes, standing by while the fireworks go off.

304_7603.jpg
Lion "eating" offerings for good spirits.

304_7647.jpg
As the smoke clears, the lion crouches low. This troupe was very good and the lion actually came to life. It seemed alive with fluttering eyelids and flicking ears.

304_7659.jpg
Low fisheye of the drummers. Two are on the drum movers, and one is the actual drummer. They are part of another lion dance group. Lion dance troupes will show up at a business and perform. In exchange, the business owner will give them a bit of money for their services and performance.

304_7662.jpg
DSC_1223.jpg
Couple of shots of lion dancers walking down the street. This group wasn't quite as good as the first group and had shorter performances. (The groups came on different days.)

I would have liked to have gotten closer with the wide angle in the shots, but I can't tell you how loud the firecrackers are. These things are deafening. I couldn't handle the pain and I wish I had earplugs!

Thanks for looking, comments greatly appreciated.:bow

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    That bad? ne_nau.gif:D
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Warning: I don't think you're going to like this, but you did say comments appreciated…

1: Too far away, and what were you focusing on anyway?

2: Too far away, and oh I see you were focusing on the fireworks going off…

3: Get closer. Great colourful costume, and you just took a quick snap of it… eek7.gif

4: see #1 & #3; also camera shake?

5: ditto ( I don't think I'd like to meet these chaps on a dark night… eek7.gif )

6: dull and lifeless! Have you thought of using a fill-in flash? V. useful, especially in situations where it's pretty overcast and the lighting sort of sucks (see #1,2,3,4,5)

7: getting better, but why do they all look so glum!!!!

8: ah! someone is actually smiling! better light than the others!

Far be it from me to pour water on your enthusiasm, but:

(1) the yellow really doesn't do any for me…
    (2) all the participants look as if they're going to a bloody funeral!
    (3) You weren't helped by the quality of the light (thus the comment about flash).

Don't worry, I expect all the other comments you get here will be much nicer than mine, after all I am a curmudgeon (and you were warned :D )

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Thanks for getting back to me. I would have replied sooner but I was busy shooting the invisible pygmy tribes in Hezhou and there's no internet after they ate the cable guy.ne_nau.gif

Anyway, I DO appreciate your comments.

I agree they are too far away. Sadly, the noise levels were painful for me if I got any closer. I really wanted to wade into the smoke and flying crackers but was unable to. Some slight concerns about my hearing and all that. Oh well. Next year I'll remember to bring ear plugs.

I can't help the gloomy look. I guess it is a very serious thing this lion dance. I'm sure you or I would think, "Oh hey, a lion dance, what a cool, fun thing." They all are probably happy the ghost exterminator is there. Do you smile when the pest dude shows up? Maybe. I dont know.

I'll think more about flash in the future. Never dawned on me this time. Oh well.

Definately I agree with your points I think, now that you make them. A bit late, but maybe next time something like this comes up I'll be able to do better.

Thank you for your comments.

Wil Davis wrote:
    Warning: I don't think you're going to like this, but you did say comments appreciated…

1: Too far away, and what were you focusing on anyway?

2: Too far away, and oh I see you were focusing on the fireworks going off…

3: Get closer. Great colourful costume, and you just took a quick snap of it… eek7.gif

4: see #1 & #3; also camera shake?

5: ditto ( I don't think I'd like to meet these chaps on a dark night… eek7.gif )

6: dull and lifeless! Have you thought of using a fill-in flash? V. useful, especially in situations where it's pretty overcast and the lighting sort of sucks (see #1,2,3,4,5)

7: getting better, but why do they all look so glum!!!!

8: ah! someone is actually smiling! better light than the others!

Far be it from me to pour water on your enthusiasm, but:

(1) the yellow really doesn't do any for me…
    (2) all the participants look as if they're going to a bloody funeral!
    (3) You weren't helped by the quality of the light (thus the comment about flash).

Don't worry, I expect all the other comments you get here will be much nicer than mine, after all I am a curmudgeon (and you were warned :D )

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil