Options

Becoming an L-coholic ...

herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
edited August 4, 2005 in Cameras
Okay, I made the big mistake of walking into B&H and actually trying out the 400mm 5.6 L lens.

Love at first sight. Lightweight, fast AF, razor sharp images.

Price is a little high.

My problem is not that I *can't* buy the lens, but I *shouldn't* buy the lens. I don't do birding (that often) or do sporting events in bright light (that often). I have a 70-300 DO with a Kenko 1.4 TC which is working fine right now.

So far, I've been able to talk myself out of it, but there have been times when I wish I had the 400mm+ TC to get that really great shot. It's that little voice that keeps whispering to me "Oh, go ahead..."

So, I need some grinners out here to convince me - I'd probably go with Beach Camera, Buydig, Onecall or Canoga -- all are excellent places. Living in NYC makes B&H too expensive for me unless they're the only place that carries the item.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 2, 2005
    herion wrote:
    Okay, I made the big mistake of walking into B&H and actually trying out the 400mm 5.6 L lens.

Love at first sight. Lightweight, fast AF, razor sharp images.

Price is a little high.

My problem is not that I *can't* buy the lens, but I *shouldn't* buy the lens. I don't do birding (that often) or do sporting events in bright light (that often). I have a 70-300 DO with a Kenko 1.4 TC which is working fine right now.

So far, I've been able to talk myself out of it, but there have been times when I wish I had the 400mm+ TC to get that really great shot. It's that little voice that keeps whispering to me "Oh, go ahead..."

So, I need some grinners out here to convince me - I'd probably go with Beach Camera, Buydig, Onecall or Canoga -- all are excellent places. Living in NYC makes B&H too expensive for me unless they're the only place that carries the item.

Thanks in advance!

If you buy the 400 f5.6 L, the DO lens + TConvertor will never be accceptable any longer:D

Longer lenses (400+MM) do not get near as much use as more normal focal length lenses unless you have a very specific need - like birding or wildlife. But when you need long glass, nothing else will do. Be careful, you WILL find that 400mm builds a desire for 500mm and even 600mm. Don't ask me how I know rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I find the pain of cost to purchase is long forgotten a year later when I am still shooting otherwise unobtainable shots with my long glass. But I will be up front and say that my eye tends to be a long glass eye, rather than a wide angle eye. It all depends on your needs, desires, and checkbook. But Canon's long L glass is really a delight to shoot.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Going to "L" in a handbasket ....
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you buy the 400 f5.6 L, the DO lens + TConvertor will never be accceptable any longer:D

Longer lenses (400+MM) do not get near as much use as more normal focal length lenses unless you have a very specific need - like birding or wildlife. But when you need long glass, nothing else will do. Be careful, you WILL find that 400mm builds a desire for 500mm and even 600mm. Don't ask me how I know rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I find the pain of cost to purchase is long forgotten a year later when I am still shooting otherwise unobtainable shots with my long glass. But I will be up front and say that my eye tends to be a long glass eye, rather than a wide angle eye. It all depends on your needs, desires, and checkbook. But Canon's long L glass is really a delight to shoot.
    thumb.gif
    Its official. I'm going to "L". Headfirst and into the flames :):

Tried ordering from Beach, but they don't ship items over $1K to anything but the billing address ("... And how can I sign for it if I'm not home??") - Canoga wouldn't take Amex, so I went with Onecall.com. I'll be getting it on the 10th...

Now, just have to get an RRS or Kirk QR plate and a UV protector! Any preferences? I have an Kirk L-plate for my 300D and a RRS for my BG-E1.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    herion wrote:
    Its official. I'm going to "L". Headfirst and into the flames :):

Now, just have to get an RRS or Kirk QR plate and a UV protector! Any preferences? I have an Kirk L-plate for my 300D and a RRS for my BG-E1.

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif Welcome to "L"

You will love it. I use RRS lens plates for my lens - The first thing I do after buying a new telephoto lens is order the approprate plate from RRS.
    I don't use UV protectors on my Canon Teles - I probably would if I were shooting around salt spray or rock dust. I hate to think what a UV filter for a 400 f4 would set me back. I just depend on the lens shade for protection and that seems to work pretty well.

Welcome to "L"

But you know that none of us stop at just one, don't you? We all tell ourselves that we will, we try, but we're human and we fail, and end up with more than one "L" lens. Some of us fail frequently :Dthumb.gif

Looking forward to your images captured with the Canon 400f5.6 !!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin