Crud

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited February 16, 2010 in Cameras
My 24-105 lens has some crud on the glass in the back opening of the lens and I don't know how to remove or clean inside of there. Any suggestions would be helpful :D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 16, 2010
    For dust a source of clean air is a good start and I often hold the lens horizontally or even upright (rear of the lens pointed down) to try to get any dust or lint to try to drop out of the lens.

For fingerprints, you use the same approach as you would to clean the front surface of the lens. It can be a pain to clean a deeply recessed rear element, so using a soft/flexible "spatula" to hold the cleaning cloth or lens paper can help. Start with moistened material and progress to dry material after the gunk is fully removed. Always move from the center of the lens surface to the edges, moving in a circular fashion.

Ultimately, if the gunk is really sticky or difficult to get to, you might consider using a professional service to clean and lubricate the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For dust a source of clean air is a good start and I often hold the lens horizontally or even upright (rear of the lens pointed down) to try to get any dust or lint to try to drop out of the lens.

For fingerprints, you use the same approach as you would to clean the front surface of the lens. It can be a pain to clean a deeply recessed rear element, so using a soft/flexible "spatula" to hold the cleaning cloth or lens paper can help. Start with moistened material and progress to dry material after the gunk is fully removed. Always move from the center of the lens surface to the edges, moving in a circular fashion.

Ultimately, if the gunk is really sticky or difficult to get to, you might consider using a professional service to clean and lubricate the lens.

I've tried blowing it with my blower, but it just doesn't move. I'll try it wet now. Didn't know if I could use something wet in there or not. Nice to know I can.

Thanks Ziggy :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 16, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    I've tried blowing it with my blower, but it just doesn't move. I'll try it wet now. Didn't know if I could use something wet in there or not. Nice to know I can.

Thanks Ziggy :D

Damp, moist, not wet or dripping. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Damp, moist, not wet or dripping. thumb.gif

Ok rolleyes1.gif:D