Quick shot from today

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 18, 2010 in People
Been awol folks - sorry to miss all the discussion, but I've found myself swamped with real life (and continued bad weather - YOWZA can all this snow go somewhere else please?!). Despite having a new-to-me 50d for over a week I've barely had time to do much shooting.

However, I finally got a chance to microfocus the 50 1.4 and just grabbed some shots today outside in the snow.

I'm kinda pleased with this because I negotiated the hat AND it was around 1.30p (thus sun high in the sky). I guess all the snow on the ground was acting as a natural reflector and (go me!) I remembered to expose significantly to the right to compensate for all that white on the ground.

C&C always welcome!

790209723_zYDsH-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    clap.gif Nice one!!! clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Nice to see my 50D has found a good home! This is a wonderful shot!

So, how are you liking the camera now that you've had a bit of time to play?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    lovely shot!thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    I have been actively looking for your posts lately! Glad to see you.

Caroline
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    That's one d e a d bunny ; )
    Bravo!

Care to share the settings?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    I've been wondering where you've been. I thought you were frozen.

Lovely shot and crop. I really like the angles created by the hat.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Ahh very very nice!!clap.gif What does she think?
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    awww.... thanks you guys iloveyou.gif I'm sorry I've been so absent - I've missed my dgrin addiction. I'm not gone, rest assured, just been travelling (got to Vancouver for the dress rehearsal of the games!), submerged under 4ft of snow (the kids have been off school for nearly two weeks.... but they WENT BACK TODAY!! YIPPEEEE!!! :ivarwings.gif. Sorry. You moms will know what I mean), and frantically memorizing a recital program that has turned out to be more challenging than I had anticipated.

In any case, thanks for nice responses! I was pleased, since it was one of those "Hmm... let's see if I've got the mf adjusted for real world use and if I can remember how to expose properly for snow" kind of things. Nice to have a good shot out of it!

@Andrew and Qarik - thanks!

@Scott - it's still not automatic to my fingers yet - I keep looking for buttons as they are on the xsi - but I'm getting there. I LOVE the faster autofocus (huge difference, especially with the non-center points), and the overall handling is great. And after the xsi WITH grip, the 50d actually feels quite light and compact, so it's great. And THANK YOU for the discssion on MF - I'd have done it "backwards" if we hadn't spoken about it, so you saved me hours of frustration there. The thing I need to do most is reread the manual and see if there's a way to set the rear LCD to the same "on" settings as on the Rebels - I'm just too used to looking at that screen and my eye goes there first rather than to the top panel and I find the bigger, brighter legend easier to read quickly when I take my eye off the VF.

@Caroline and Mitchell - you are sweet. Yeah, I'm around, just distracted! I had to tilt for those diagonals, Mitchell - as shot, the hat made for a difficult crop (if it was complete, it pushed the eyes too far down the frame), and there were some fingers at the bottom that had to be cropped out. Tilting it solved all the comp things I didn't like, and made it a bit more dynamic, too. I think the integrated crop/tilt in LR is my favorite feature of the whole program, since I can just play with it endlessly until I get something I like!

@Buggs ("What's Opera Doc?" is now running through my head with the Wagnerian "Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit, kill da wabbitt.....!!!" sequence) ISO 200/f2.2/1600th 50 1.4, about 5-6ft away.

@VayCay - yes, she likes it (although it always pains her to admit it).

Hopefully things will settle down a little soon and I'll be able to get on with all the stuff I had planned for this month. I do have two performance shoots coming up, which I'm looking forward to, especially now I have two bodies and can shoot my primes without having to swap lenses all the time!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    @Scott - it's still not automatic to my fingers yet - I keep looking for buttons as they are on the xsi - but I'm getting there. I LOVE the faster autofocus (huge difference, especially with the non-center points), and the overall handling is great. And after the xsi WITH grip, the 50d actually feels quite light and compact, so it's great. And THANK YOU for the discssion on MF - I'd have done it "backwards" if we hadn't spoken about it, so you saved me hours of frustration there. The thing I need to do most is reread the manual and see if there's a way to set the rear LCD to the same "on" settings as on the Rebels - I'm just too used to looking at that screen and my eye goes there first rather than to the top panel and I find the bigger, brighter legend easier to read quickly when I take my eye off the VF.
    I'm so glad you're happy with the camera. I know I liked it, but opinions vary deal.gif

As for the LCD power-on thing. Working from memory here .... power on the camera and press the "Info" button. I think this will display all the current settings. I don't know if this condition will persist through a power-off - power-on cycle.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    I can see the tilt but with all the 'oof' factor of the BG, it isn't consciously noticeable. One needs to really look for it.

Really nice work, diva. And prop's to "mini-d", as well. clap.gif

OT; I just picked up a 'Nifty-Fifty' yesterday (1.8). Playing with it a bit today and it's looking like a good buy. mwink.gif
    Played with both lenses (1.4, 1.8) in the store for a coupl hours.... Couldn't justify the extra 300 (+/-) clams for the 1.4

I know, it's Nikon........ Just sayin'! ; )
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Love the shot diva!!! Fantastic!

Glad to see you here...We've missed you :)