Bodies and Lenses, Oh My!

ReillyReilly Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited February 28, 2010 in Cameras
A couple years ago, I purchased a Canon XSi Rebel and my love of photography began. I tagged on a 50mm f/1.8 lens, which has been my staple. I'm in the process of upgrading - the hobby has turned in to a passion. The one thing I HATE about my camera body is the integrated control for the two functions - toggling back and forth is a real pain. Is this a Canon thing or an XSi thing? What's the next best thing for an upgrade - Canon D40 or, am I just going to outgrow that quickly too? What's a camera body that will really last me for years to come and my skill set grows? I would like a camera body to grow with me...

Relatedly, what's a great all-around (zoom?) lens to add the bag if my main focus is portraiture (kids especially)?

Thanks for any advice!!! Looking forward to following these forums.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Nikon D300s or Nikon D90:D rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    If I understand what you are referring to, it's a Rebel thing, not a Canon thing. The controls and ergonomics on the xxD and xD series are fabulous. I switched from a Rebel to a 50D almost a year ago, and the difference in controls is huge. Many of the functions can be accessed 2 or even 3 ways; there are quick access buttons for a bunch of them, and there are two wheels. E.g., if you are in Av, one wheel controls aperture, and the other shutter. and you can choose the direction of rotation for the second one. Try one and you will see.
    Reilly wrote:
    A couple years ago, I purchased a Canon XSi Rebel and my love of photography began. I tagged on a 50mm f/1.8 lens, which has been my staple. I'm in the process of upgrading - the hobby has turned in to a passion. The one thing I HATE about my camera body is the integrated control for the two functions - toggling back and forth is a real pain. Is this a Canon thing or an XSi thing? What's the next best thing for an upgrade - Canon D40 or, am I just going to outgrow that quickly too? What's a camera body that will really last me for years to come and my skill set grows? I would like a camera body to grow with me...

Relatedly, what's a great all-around (zoom?) lens to add the bag if my main focus is portraiture (kids especially)?

• DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:

haha this made me spit out my coffee....

Reilly welcome to the wonderful world of Canon... thumb.gif

there are tons of answers here, I do love my Rebel 350D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 17, 2010
    Reilly wrote:

The Canon 40D does have 2 control wheels (separate controls for shutter and aperture) and would be a good upgrade over the XSi. Yes, the dRebel (like the XSi) series is an entry level camera and it lacks some of the feature set of the prosumer cameras.

The real cost of a dSLR is the "system" that evolves to cover your needs. Any single dSLR is not likely to look competent after a few years and newer features and higher resolutions become available.

Ultimately lenses is where a great share of your money should go and lenses will generally outlast bodies that you acquire. Lighting is another area that you should explore and invest.

Whether you stay with Canon or not is immaterial. You can build a great system with any of the available manufacturer cameras. Once you start making the other purchases, lenses and dedicated flashes, it gets very expensive to change to another system.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Sounds like an xxd or possibly 7D would be ideal for you. Depending on budget of course.

40D's are supposed to still be a very nice camera and I think you can nab them for around $600 used. 50D's are around $800 i think if you look hard for a used one, and that is the one I use. I think the improvements in the 50D over the 40D are worth the extra money.
    A 1D mark 2 (or 2N) is also an option and a very difficult choice when compared to a 50D. For around $1000 you can get a 1D mark2/2N, which is a professional body and you will unlikely ever outgrow it. even with the recent introduction of the Mark 4 it seems many pros are holding onto their 1D Mark 2N's. I had a very hard on decision to make between a mark 2N and a 50D. Still not sure if I made the right choice, but am still very happy with the 50D.
    One caveat with the 1D series though is they use a larger sensor (1.3x crop) so EF-S lenses will not work on it, in general....

Lastly the new 7D, by all accounts is a great camera. I think you are looking around $2000 for it though. So that camera while it comes with the latest technologies and toys comes at a premium.

The prices I mentioned above are my best guesses at what I have seen based on my less than stellar memory, so do your own research prices and features.

For a lens I don't think you can beat the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I do not personally own nor have I ever used this lens so this is just going from other peoples experiences.
    For a cheaper but still very nice lens I would suggest either the EF 17-40 f/4L 70-200 F/4L lenses. Now take this with a grain of salt though since we have no idea what you are wanting to do with the lens and how fast an aperture you need on it, focal ranges, etc...

Finally I use Canon and know very little about the other camera makers so i have not mentioned them. But sounds like you have little invested in Canon (one rebel and 50mm 1.8) so switching makers would be easy at this stage.
    I would suggest going into the biggest and best photography store you have in the area and spend some time playing with cameras from all the different makers. You might find that an olympus, pentax, Nikon, etc.... feels better and better fits your desires.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    What is your budget? You can get a 40D/50D for very good prices right now. The 7D is very nice, but quite expensive.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • ReillyReilly Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2010
    I don't have a strict budget; I don't want or need the latest and greatest just for the sake of having it, but I do want something that can take me to next level, both with respect to a new body and a more versatile lens. My interest is primarily photographing people - both photojournalist (street photography) and also portraiture (kids primarily), so inside/outside. I am not terribly interested in sports photography or wildlife, so don't need to waste $$ on lenses that primiarily benefit those genres. My only real reason to stick with Canon would be because I have a mentor whose lens I could borrow, and he is a Canon guy (which is why I bought a Canon in the first place), so interchangeability would be nice. That being said, I throw the Nikon v. Canon question out there since I have very little invested and now would be the time to switch if I were to do so. I think just by virtue of having had a Canon for two years, I'm inclined to stick with it. There just seem to be so many options for mid-tier prosumer bodies I am overwhelmed! I appreciate your thoughts! Several folks I've asked have suggested I go with a sigma 50-150 2.8 for the next lens - thoughts?
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    For what you said as types of photography I would suggest an EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS and either the 40D or 50D as budget allows.

The lens is NOT cheap at around $1100 and very few I see being sold used. But from what I see it would be worth it.
    The 50-150 f/2.8 might be a tad on the long side for some of the things you want to do. My 70-200 is quite often too long for indoor use. Even the 50 f/1.4 is too long at times so I am forced to flash or just do headshots at times. I find F/4 too slow for most indoor natural light.

If budget is too much than Tamron sigma and others make a roughly equivalent lens to the 17-55. Not sure about the offerings of other brands though.

Just my thoughts...
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:

I like how you think clap.gif

OK seriously I have taught a lot of people on the XTi and know the issues you are dealing with. I would bring my S5 or D700 out since unlike the Rebel every function has a dial or dedicated button so they know what they do then have to tell them "on your camera you need to do this button combination, or menu, to do the same function."

I do like the feel of the 40/50D and would recommend them as much as I can any Canon lol3.gif the 7D would be nice but you need to ask yourself if the features will be useful. (Higher FPS, more resolution, and better AF)

As for lenses your best deal will be Tamron's 17-50 F2.8 or 28-75 F2.8, either will work as a portrait lens the only question is if you want more on the wide or telephoto end, I personally use the 28.75 for my portrait work and even in the studio. The 17-50 though has an IS version now so up to you.
    edited February 17, 2010
    Reilly wrote:
    I don't have a strict budget; I don't want or need the latest and greatest just for the sake of having it, but I do want something that can take me to next level, both with respect to a new body and a more versatile lens. My interest is primarily photographing people - both photojournalist (street photography) and also portraiture (kids primarily), so inside/outside. I am not terribly interested in sports photography or wildlife, so don't need to waste $$ on lenses that primiarily benefit those genres. My only real reason to stick with Canon would be because I have a mentor whose lens I could borrow, and he is a Canon guy (which is why I bought a Canon in the first place), so interchangeability would be nice. That being said, I throw the Nikon v. Canon question out there since I have very little invested and now would be the time to switch if I were to do so. I think just by virtue of having had a Canon for two years, I'm inclined to stick with it. There just seem to be so many options for mid-tier prosumer bodies I am overwhelmed! I appreciate your thoughts! Several folks I've asked have suggested I go with a sigma 50-150 2.8 for the next lens - thoughts?

If you are not doing much on the telephoto end the Sigma 50-150 lens works out to 80-240 on 35mm (working out Canon crop factors in my head is slightly more annoying than Nikon or 4/3 lol3.gif). For what you are describing here the Sigma 50-150 sounds pretty long, those Tamron's I previously mentioned are a better fit.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The real cost of a dSLR is the "system" that evolves to cover your needs. Any single dSLR is not likely to look competent after a few years and newer features and higher resolutions become available.

Ultimately lenses is where a great share of your money should go and lenses will generally outlast bodies that you acquire. Lighting is another area that you should explore and invest.

+1 - spend the money on glass !
    Reilly wrote:

Tamron 17-50 2.8
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    First - Welcome to the game. wave.gif I think you're going to love it around here!

Your stated needs/wants:
    • Something as bit better than your current XSi
    • Longevity - you would like the camera to be there as you grow in your skills, etc
    • Portrait work
    • Family photograph - getting the stunning shot of the angels mwink.gif
    • Street photography
    Since you've not stated a budget, I get to have some fun! Working from most expensive/capable to lesser so:
    • Canon 5DII ($2,500), Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM ($1,040), Speedlite 580EX II ($445) - Total: $3,985

This setup has the advantage of a superior full-frame sensor - superior in the sense that it handles low-light, high ISO very, very well. And, for me at least, there seems to be a significant different in IQ when compared to something from a crop sensor camera (I've had and used the 300D, 20D, 30D, and 50D cameras).

Some say the AF on the 5DII is not as good as on the 7D/50D cameras. I don't know about all that. I do know that, in my hands, I don't notice a significant difference in AF performance between the 50D and the 5DII. The AF performance is a consideration when talking about taking pictures of the little ones in the back yard - little ones have no concept of "sit still for just a moment".

• Canon 7D ($1,700), Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ($1,060), Speedlite 580EX II ($445) - Total: $3,205

I've not held this camera, but it seems to offer a significant upgrade from the 30D/40D/50D genre. YMMV

On crop sensor cameras, the walkaround lens of choice seems to be (and I agree, I have one) is the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. This is not a "L" lens - it doesn't have the bullet-proof build of a an "L", but many say that it does have the optics. I do know that I've been very, very happy with mine.

• Canon 50D ($930), Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD ($460), Speedlite 580EX II ($445) - Total: $1,835

This is the "least capable" kit of the three I've put together here but it's no slouch! Both the 7D and the 50D are reputed to have a faster and better AF when compared to the dRebel series (like you XSi) - which would be an advantage when trying to get the shots of the kids as they run around the back yard.

The Tamon 17-50 has (is building) a significant following. Another alternative is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD ($460). I have this lens and love it. While is might be a bit long on the wide end for indoors (YMMV), I find it works well on a crop sensor and has proven itself to be stellar on my 5DII (very, very slight vignetting in the corners, even wide open).
    I've included a flash in each kit. I used to think I didn't need the flash - ambient light would be all that I was ever interested in. Well, I've long since changed my tune on that one. Getting the best you can afford makes life so much easier. Other alternatives include: Your EF 50 f/1.8 will work on all these cameras.

I've become a strong believer in the AF Microadjustment feature offered by some Canon cameras (and included as a feature in all that I've listed above). IMNSHO, this single feature is worth the price difference between a 40D and a 50D - it can turn a good performing lens into a stellar performer.

Finally, the disclaimer: The links are included only to make life a little easier for you and to reduce the chance of a mis-communication, though I do like to spend my money there mwink.gif.
    edited February 19, 2010
    Thanks for these great suggestions - I can now dive in to the research on figuring out what's right for me. I am pretty confident I want a 5D Mark II or 7D - now it's just which one! I agree some of the the other suggestions are nice, but I'm afraid I'll just be ready to upgrade again in a year or two - I think both the 5D Mark II and 7D are way more camera than I need or know what to do with now, which is what will keep me busy and learning for a few years!!! It is overwhelming, however, how many different lens options are out there. Fun, but difficult to choose, nonetheless! I know the 5D Mark II doesn't support the EF-S lens, so I want to make the camera decision before investing in the glass. Presuming I go with a 5D Mark II, I can't decide between the 24-70mm f/2.8 and the Canon EF 24-105 f/4L Scott suggested - any further input on a comparison between the two?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    24-70 f/2.8L IS vs. 24-105 f/4L IS
    That's the question - one that's been asked and answered a many, many times both here and on other sites. Usually the question revolves around the discussion of IS vs. non-IS and f/2.8 vs. f/4 and the user's needs.

Recently, there's been a small rash of posts on other forums complaining about the QC of the 24-70 ... that many (?) have needed to be sent back to Canon to correct issues. The net being what it is, one needs to take that sort of thing with a (huge) grain of salt.

Bottom line, they are both stellar lenses and you really can't go wrong with either.
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Reading the comments from everyone has helped me a lot too since I was pretty much in the same situation :)
    edited February 19, 2010
    Nikon?!
    So, to complicate things... what is the comparable Nikon model to either a Canon 7D or 5D Mark II - I'd like to compare and see if I like the functionality of the Nikon better before going down a $2000+ road with Canon... Like I said earlier, I have so little invested in Canon, I could make the switch now. Would my 50mm f1.8 be usable on a Nikon?

What about the Nikon d700 - versus either the Canon 7D or 5D Mark II - or is that the wrong one to compare with??

Thanks for thoughts.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    Reilly wrote:
    So, to complicate things... what is the comparable Nikon model to either a Canon 7D or 5D Mark II - I'd like to compare and see if I like the functionality of the Nikon better before going down a $2000+ road with Canon... Like I said earlier, I have so little invested in Canon, I could make the switch now. Would my 50mm f1.8 be usable on a Nikon?

What about the Nikon d700 - versus either the Canon 7D or 5D Mark II - or is that the wrong one to compare with??

Thanks for thoughts.

The Nikon D300S is "roughly" comparable to the Canon 7D in many ways. Nikon crop 1.5x cameras are called "DX" format. The Nikon is 12 MPix and the Canon is 18 MPix. The Nikon has an arguably better AF, but Nikon lenses at the very top tend to be more expensive. Quality of images is comparable with either brand.

The Nikon D700 is the closest to the Canon 5D MKII in that they are both full-frame (FF, or "FX" in Nikon speak). The Nikon is 12 MPix and the Canon is 21 MPix. Again, the AF of the Nikon is presumed better and again, Nikkor lenses tend to be pricier at the top end. Both cameras are capable of great image quality and both are better at high ISO and low light than the smaller format cameras, except that the AF of the Canon is presumed less sensitive in very low light (although in practical application the Canon 5D MKII does fine in my experience.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 19, 2010
    The 7D and 5D mkII are different types of cameras, the 5D offers you great resolution but from what I hear the build quality/weather seals of the 7D are superior. And the frames per second/AF points are both lesser on the 5D VS the 7D.

In the D300s/D700 you get AF like that on the D3s/D3x flagship cameras (there is talk about the D3's having slightly faster focus times but the units are very similar). The D300s has video the D700 does not but with the D700 you get insane high ISO performance with a usable ISO 12,800, yes there is noise but it feels a lot like ISO 1,600 color film.

Edit:

I'll go into a bit more detail.

Canon and Nikon do not really line up, until the 7D the highest Canon crop camera (the 50D) really had no Nikon like it. In many ways it was like the D90 but with a sturdier body, but lagged behind in the weather sealing and features of the D300. The 7D basically is Canon's D300s answer with both being close to each other (Canon has more MP but the Nikon has more AF points 17 VS 51) and have similar frames per second burst speeds around 7-8 FPS.

For full frame the 5D mkII has only 9 AF points, and 3.9 FPS shooting speed, while the D700 is basically a scaled up D300 (or D3 without the grip) with 51 AF points, and 5 FPS shooting speed 8 if you buy the optional grip.

The D700 will let you do basically anything you ask from it. The 5D mkII will give you amazing resolution, so if you need it then go for it, if not the D700 is a better choice.

I must say though between Nikon and Canon neither are my favorite, yes their cameras are very capable but my favorite image files come from Fuji and Olympus.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I find the side-by-side comparison feature at dpreview very helpful for reviewing specifications. link

Here is one I keep pondering. K7/E-30/50D/D300 I have enough pentax gear now that a switch would be costly, however.
    edited February 20, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote:
    I find the side-by-side comparison feature at dpreview very helpful for reviewing specifications. link

Here is one I keep pondering. K7/E-30/50D/D300 I have enough pentax gear now that a switch would be costly, however.

I am not sure if the Pentax lenses can be used with an adapter for Canon/Nikon but 4/3 should be no problem. I use a few of my Nikon F mount lenses on the E-420 and it meters no problem.
    edited February 28, 2010
    Nikon revisited
    What are the real-world differences between the Nikon D700 and D300s? Starting to wonder if I'm meant to be a Nikon girl... Has anyone had an opportunity to use both a Canon 7D and D300s, and if so, what were your thoughts? (I can read the technical comparisons online - I am hopeful someone has some real-world insight on the pros/cons of these two models)...?