No pictures....just ranting a bit.

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited February 19, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
It's getting a little tiresome lately of opening a thread and the first thing the poster says is " this is not my best, what do you think ? " or " I don't know if I like this, how about you ? " . Why in the world are these people putting stuff on us that even they don't like? Give us a break. If they, as the poster, realize their stuff is sub-par, please wait to post something that warrants consideration of the forum members.

One of the great attributes of this forum is that it is a fantastic learning environment. Certainly, shooters looking to improve their skills are most welcome to submit work for C & C. A lot of it won't be perfect.... much of it would need improvement. I doubt that there's any member of this forum that can't enhance his skills, to some degree, through C & C. We should all try, though, to submit material that we, at least, feel worthy of asking others to review. In such a case, the responses to the post and the offering of sincere C & C will far exceed what otherwise may be experienced.

Tom
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    false modesty? low self-esteem? fishing for compliments?

I don't know what to tell you.

These aren't my best guesses, btw, just tell me what you think anyway. :D
  • RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Forums also become social environments with sharing, conversation and along the way people are learning and gaining knowledge. Personally I like the variety and varied inputs.
  • Dedalus77Dedalus77 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    I'm guessing it's a psychological way for them to try and soften the blow from any harsh criticism or be pleasantly surprised when people are complimentary.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    It's getting a little tiresome lately of opening a thread and the first thing the poster says is " this is not my best, what do you think ? " or " I don't know if I like this, how about you ? " . Why in the world are these people putting stuff on us that even they don't like? Give us a break. If they, as the poster, realize their stuff is sub-par, please wait to post something that warrants consideration of the forum members.
    Because sometimes you attempt to get something and can't quite figure out how to go about doing so. So you post what you do manage to capture, knowing its short of what you really want, hoping that someone can pipe in and say "if you change this and do that..."
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Personally, I try and post what I think to be some of my best work. However, on occasion, I come out from shooting with few shots I'm proud of. In those cases, sometimes, I will post a or some results from the day that I know are not my best works. Points will be made about composition, lighting, focus issues, color, subject matter, a story if there is one, or the lack of if there is not. All things that will help me the next time I go out. Sometimes, when looking at ones own work, you tend to miss things, or interpret things differently than others would. So posting examples like this can be beneficial in getting out of a slump, seeing things you didn't notice, or anything else really. It's a vulnerable position to put yourself in when you display not your best work for critique. I think that sometimes, more can be learned by showing and getting critiqued on your not best work, than on your best work. There's only so many ways to compliment a great photograph, and within those great photographs, usually so little that can be critiqued for gain-full knowledge. Where as in ones "not best work", it is the other way around. More learning takes place... I believe.

Just my .02.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 17, 2010
    These aren't my best guesses, btw, just tell me what you think anyway. :D

rolleyes1.gifrofl

It's always risky, even when you are posting what you think are your best shots. Personally, I won't post anything that I believe is bad, but sometimes I'm just not sure and may post to see what the reaction is. But when I do that, I try not to tip my hand so as not to influence the reaction.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Speaking for myself, I always try and post a pic in the appropriate forum, such as I have only posted one pic in the "Street/PJ" forum, as I thought it was good enough/qualified as such. However, I post a lot more pics in this forum "OCS" because that's where I feel they should be. Some of my favorite work (maybe not my technical best) I would still like to share and get others feedback (C&C always welcomed on my posts) on.

That being said, If I had not posted some of my shots when I joined here just over a year ago (that i KNEW were not particularly good) I would not have gotten such valuable feedback that has made me a better (still n00b) photog today. ne_nau.gif - I just did a seach on my userid and went back and looked at all of the photos that I have posted (little embarrasing on some), and I can tell you there has been marked improvement in my shots thanks to all the advice, opinions and critique from all the fine folks here.
    Devin
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    I'm posting really bad photos that are my best work at this point. Ya gotta start somewhere.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 18, 2010
    Macushla wrote:
    I'm posting really bad photos that are my best work at this point. Ya gotta start somewhere.

clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrofl

It's always risky, even when you are posting what you think are your best shots. Personally, I won't post anything that I believe is bad, but sometimes I'm just not sure and may post to see what the reaction is. But when I do that, I try not to tip my hand so as not to influence the reaction.
    15524779-Ti.gif Especially the not to tip my hand part. :D

I understand where you are coming from and such. Really a tough nut
    to crack. For myself I think things have to unfold as they may/do from
    each individual putting anything up. Its just simply the way it is and
    I'm good with that. If it gets seemingly tiresome I just let it go and hope
    folks get to where they want to go with their efforts. Just like I hope
    I can get to where I want my works to go.

For myself I like to come into it with I think is half a clue already
    from personal study and practice.
    Post my works I like, the ones I think don't suck bowdown.gifrofl
    perhaps get some feedback either way, I always look forward to feedback on
    my risk taking, and continue with study and practice, experimenting.
    Post and have fun with it. :D
    Michael
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Hi Macushla,

I don't know of another, more accommodating, environment than " Other Cool Shots " for helping starting photographers enhance their skills....and therefore their enjoyment of this passion we share. Folks here will go to great lengths to offer C & C that will benefit anyone who keeps an open mind.

By your own admission, you say your early postings are really bad pictures. That may or may not be true. I don't think I've seen any of your work. The point is, though, that you know, or feel, that your pictures aren't what you want them to be and you strive to get better. As you say, " you've got to start somewhere ". This forum can help you do just that.

My gripe is with people who post pictures that, by their own standards and, more importantly, by their own words, are sub-par efforts on their part. We should all make a conscious effort to put out the best we can for C & C. Even though you feel your current work is bad, you also say it's the best you can do right now. That's what we should all be doing....putting out the best we can.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Speaking as someone who started his first ever C&C post this week with the words 'I know this isn't a stunning shot but...' I can totally understand the frustration of experienced photogrpahers and forum member but probably would not have dared post anything without this prefix (or something similar!). I take photos that are my best but am often frustrated by the results as I often can't get the camera to reflect the picture I see with my eyes.

My photos are nowhere near in the same league as many of the pics I see on this site and I realise that. By posting a 'disclaimer' in this way, I felt I'd made the level of feedback I was looking for clearer (i.e. not expecting anyone to come back with 'WOW!' but leaving them feeling they can be openly critical without causing offence). I also agree with:
    Dedalus77 wrote:
    I'm guessing it's a psychological way for them to try and soften the blow from any harsh criticism or be pleasantly surprised when people are complimentary.

and if it gets people posting and improving their pictures then I think it's the right thing to do (and the feedback has been incredibly helpful!).

Who knows, maybe next time I'll feel confident enough to post without a 'disclaimer' :D
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    The thing that needs to be remembered is that these forums are for everyone, both beginners and those well beyond that. I suspect that there are some here that are just starting out, they think they like photography, but are not sure what is good or not so good. I have to admit, that I am still closer to the beginner stage than I would like and do sometimes post pictures that I truly am not sure how I feel about. In situations like this, for me and others I am sure, the others feedback can really help in forming ideas of what works and what does not work.
    I can understand the more experienced not caring for post like these. In that case, I would suggest you just move on and post on other posts that you feel are more worthy. I do not mind these posts and if I can, I will try to help.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Hi Macushla,

I don't know of another, more accommodating, environment than " Other Cool Shots " for helping starting photographers enhance their skills....and therefore their enjoyment of this passion we share. Folks here will go to great lengths to offer C & C that will benefit anyone who keeps an open mind.

By your own admission, you say your early postings are really bad pictures. That may or may not be true. I don't think I've seen any of your work. The point is, though, that you know, or feel, that your pictures aren't what you want them to be and you strive to get better. As you say, " you've got to start somewhere ". This forum can help you do just that.

My gripe is with people who post pictures that, by their own standards and, more importantly, by their own words, are sub-par efforts on their part. We should all make a conscious effort to put out the best we can for C & C. Even though you feel your current work is bad, you also say it's the best you can do right now. That's what we should all be doing....putting out the best we can.

Tom

I have witnessed more thaan one time here and other forums that a student asked for help by stating I know this not a good photo but it is the best I have.....How can I improve it.

And those replying had to be spanked on the hand for their replies like: Well if you know it is bad why did you ever waste server space and our time....post somethjing worthwhile if you want C&C.........then a mod has to come in and spank the offending posters hand and ex[plain that is not what the forum is about....it is about helping.......

By student I mean anyone that someone else would call a noob......newb....newbie....nooby............we are all students of life if nothing else........so when a photo is posted asking for guidance...give it or just don't bother posting anything at all.......and let it go.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Give us a break. If they, as the poster, realize their stuff is sub-par, please wait to post something that warrants consideration of the forum members.

ah-ha... I knew it.. "HiGh eNd pRo shots onLy!"
    Roadkill wrote:
    Forums also become social environments with sharing, conversation and along the way people are learning and gaining knowledge. Personally I like the variety and varied inputs.

And thank you.. I post a couple ones that were decently composed and I liked the post processing I did on it.. Something just wasn't grabbing me and was gonna see what others though.. Maybe it WAS decent, and I was just being too picky.
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com