Asking a little advice

PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited February 17, 2010 in People
As part of the work I do for the local high school band, I have to assemble the 'senior gifts' which are a print of multiple photos selected as a 'scrapbook'. I did it last year and they came out ok, but I was looking for a little help from people who might have done the same thing for any ideas/suggestions. I have about 2000-2500 photos of the band and individual members, I was looking for layout advice because I didn't want to do the same layout year after year.

Here is an example for what I did last year, I left out the school and person's name. I do this as volunteer work, however I want it to look professional because it's an example of my work.

790961878_EJDpG-L.jpg
http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• vince71vince71 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Hi,

How did you put last year's page together? With Photoshop? If so, by using some simple masks and feathers you can make it look very nice. If you'd like I can post a couple of samples of stuff that I've done...

Vince
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    vince71 wrote:
    Hi,

How did you put last year's page together? With Photoshop? If so, by using some simple masks and feathers you can make it look very nice. If you'd like I can post a couple of samples of stuff that I've done...

Vince
    Yep, Photoshop. Not great with Masks and Feathers, but I guess it's time to learn.
    Samples would be great. Appreciate the suggestions.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    My husband was reading this over my shoulder an the first thing he noticed was that for the Kodak tri-x film border you used has a flaw. Kodak Tri-X is exclusively black and white (and one of my husband's favorites when he can find it)

Not that moms or dads would notice, but I just thought I'd bring it to your attention :)
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    "the Kodak tri-x film border you used has a flaw"

Yeah, well, you live and learn. :) You're right, but I didn't know that last year. I was just looking for a border that would look ok. I've scanned some old pictures in since then and taken the border off of them.

-- Abraham Lincoln
  • vince71vince71 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    OK, not sure if this helps but I hope it gives you some ideas. Just threw this together as examples...

790995383_sdAts-XL.jpg

Top left is 3 shots that fade into one another by using a mask and feather.

Top right is just two shots with white border (Layer Styles) and aligned.

Bottom right has two shots over-lapped with a corner cut out. Done by masking the part you want to remove and "piecing" them together.

The "montage" section is done with layer styles (outline/drop shadow) and layer ordering while angling the shots.

Having a background looks & text looks good, but up to you.

Hope this helps...