Canon 5d mkI vs 50D

nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited February 18, 2010 in Cameras
Ok, so I'm considering an upgrade. The two options are a 5d (mark one) or a 50D.

The main adv of 5d mkI is full frame sensor.

The main adv of a 50D is better ISO performance, larger MP count, larger LCD with higher res.

A very useful thread: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos5d,canon_eos50d&show=all

What would you suggest?

Comments

• FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Owner of a 40,and 50d !!
    Ok, so I'm considering an upgrade. The two options are a 5d (mark one) or a 50D.

The main adv of 5d mkI is full frame sensor.

The main adv of a 50D is better ISO performance, larger MP count, larger LCD with higher res.

A very useful thread: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos5d,canon_eos50d&show=all

What would you suggest?
    It really depends what your going to shoot..(action,portrait, etc..)
    I have 4 boys so my my 2 bodies are mostly used for sports,but I like portraits ,and landscape as well,which makes the 5D a better fit for that part.Also my lens are all EF mount..
    If its MP's... Don't compare the 15.1 of the 50D to the 12.8 of the 5D its more prospective that each sensors size will give....

IQ will be great on both provided the lens is adequate !

I want a 5D for Landscape,portraits,and weddings!
    The 50D will work for these situations ,but with not the same results!!

More to come I'm sure:

Brady :D
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2010
    The Canon 5D has a lower random noise signature at any given ISO than does the Canon 50D, so the 5D would make a better low light, high-ISO camera from that perspective. The 50D has more ISO choices, but the actual performance goes to the 5D.

The actual difference in pixel count between the 2 cameras is inconsequential in real life image processing.

There is a broader selection of lenses available for the 50D, since it can take both EF and EF-S lenses, and the 50D has a slightly superior AF section and much faster frame rate and higher flash sync speed. The 5D is limited to EF lenses and other FF third party lenses, but it can provide a broader DOF and generally does somewhat better with lower resolution lenses.

The 50D has somewhat better weather sealing and the 5D has a history of being more sensitive to wet weather. (We have 2 DGrin users with that experience of the 5D shutting down after experiencing rain/moisture.)

The 50D can be purchased brand new, while the 5D is a pretty old design and you would be purchasing used.

Ultimately you should purchase a camera according to your needs. The 5D is still a very nice landscape and natural setting camera as well as an excellent studio camera, while the 50D would be better at outdoor sports and action, birding and wildlife. Neither is particularly well suited for indoor professional sports, for example.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2010
    Almost forgot, the 5D requires an external flash, while the 50D has an onboard flash, suitable for fill flash applications.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Another issue is price. When I was looking at replacing my 20D I looked at the 50D, 7D, and 5D MkI. I ended up with the 7D because the 5DMkI was pricing at just about the same as the 7D. The 5D did not have sensor cleaning (and I was getting reeeaaalllll tired of cleaning dust spots on photos) and you really had no idea the mileage of the camera where with the 7D it was new. It has AF MicroAdjustment that the 5DMkI does not.

I love the 7D it is vastly superior focusing, the ISO level while not at the 5DMkI level is quite a bit better than the 50D from shots I took with a co-worker's 50D.

Just another camera you might want to include in your decision process.

I am very happy with mine and my family talks about how much better my photography has become since I snuck it in (they haven't noticed it yet).:ivar

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown