Need pricing help

dgphotosdgphotos Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 20, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Okay Smuggers,
I have been taking quality sports action photos for several years and want to develope this into a full time gig. My problem is not with folks looking at my images because I have had a lot of hits on SmugMug when they are posted. The problem is the actual sales and I wonder if my pricing is the issue. Can you shed some light on what you might charge for an 8x10 photo, as well as any other pricing insight, of a high school or Middle School aged sports photo? Do you offer package prices and can you compete with the "posed and boring" guys that come in and take the "league photos" that haven't really changed for a million years?

Any information and advise would be helpfull.
Thanks

Dave

Comments

• KkayKkay Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    dgphotos wrote:
    Okay Smuggers,
    I have been taking quality sports action photos for several years and want to develope this into a full time gig. My problem is not with folks looking at my images because I have had a lot of hits on SmugMug when they are posted. The problem is the actual sales and I wonder if my pricing is the issue. Can you shed some light on what you might charge for an 8x10 photo, as well as any other pricing insight, of a high school or Middle School aged sports photo? Do you offer package prices and can you compete with the "posed and boring" guys that come in and take the "league photos" that haven't really changed for a million years?

Any information and advise would be helpfull.
    Thanks

Dave
    I can't help you Dave, 'cause I'm in the same boat. But I would be interested in any advice anyone can give us!
  • DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Check out your competitions prices and see if you are in the ballpark. There is a lot more to it then just price.

Is there some guy that is just giving images away for free at the same event? Good or bad this will kill sales.

What exactly are you shooting? A link to your galleries would help others give you an honest assessment of your work.

Again I'm not sure what exactly your are shooting but people want images that they either do not have the skill or the equipment to capture.

If the image is good nobody is going to care if the 8x10 is $8 or $18 but obviously if you are charging some outlandish rates then it may be in issue.