Nikon d3000

summerlovesummerlove Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 23, 2010 in Cameras
Does anyone have this camera? I am looking at upgrading my olympus and really want a good Nikon. Would have gone with a Nikon to start with if I had known it was so much better and that my hobby would become so much a part of me when I started.

Comments

• azboricuaazboricua Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    summerlove wrote:
    Does anyone have this camera? I am looking at upgrading my olympus and really want a good Nikon. Would have gone with a Nikon to start with if I had known it was so much better and that my hobby would become so much a part of me when I started.

I would skip the D3000 and go for the D5000.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2010
    If you still have the E-300, the E-620 is a major upgrade especially in low light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Agree with D5000, the D3000 uses an old 10MP CCD sensor IIRC, which was never the best in terms of noise and IQ.

The D5000 would provide better image quality.
  • summerlovesummerlove Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I still have my olympus but when I get a new camera i really want to go with a Nikon. My brother has the d50 and I love it. Think I will hold off till I can get the d90. Is the d80 comnapirable to the 90?
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    The D80 is a great camera but the D90 has a couple of significant practical differences - Live view, HD Video and the one I think the most important - a much higher resolution screen which makes it much easier to check if your shot is sharp.

I had a D80 for around 3 months (on loan from a friend) and have since had a D90. They are both great cameras.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    summerlove wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I still have my olympus but when I get a new camera i really want to go with a Nikon. My brother has the d50 and I love it. Think I will hold off till I can get the d90. Is the d80 comnapirable to the 90?

The D3000 is behind the current 12MP Olympus bodies for low light so I would stay away.

I used to shoot the D50 and have since used/owned a variety of Nikon and Olympus bodies. What specific features are you looking for over your current camera?
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    summerlove wrote:

The D90 is light years ahead of the D80 in low light performance. Much cleaner images in higher ISO's. That reason alone would be enough to wait to get a D90.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • summerlovesummerlove Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2010
    The D3000 is behind the current 12MP Olympus bodies for low light so I would stay away.

I used to shoot the D50 and have since used/owned a variety of Nikon and Olympus bodies. What specific features are you looking for over your current camera?

My brother has the D50 and I think his camera just takes much better pictures then my olympus.I just like the way it feels and works to.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    summerlove wrote:
    My brother has the D50 and I think his camera just takes much better pictures then my olympus.I just like the way it feels and works to.

I'm taking much better pictures to mean their color, please correct me if that assumption is wrong.

If so D3000 could work if cheap enough, the D50 was a pretty sturdy camera (I took mine to hell and back and it currently is living on with one of my friends under semi-pro use) so here is the only issue I see. You say you like the images from the D50 and the CCD and CMOS Nikons while not as different as Nikon and Olympus have different output. As for the feel the D90 will be the closest to the D50, the D3000/5000 are similar but much smaller giving a different feel.

What I would do is go to your local camera store with a CF and SD card, try all the brands, see what the best current ergonomics with you and take an indoor scene and an outdoor scene and see which one feels best to you in it's color. If possible borrow your brothers camera and use it as a benchmark.

Yes it's work but on a purchase like this research is key, I spent months narrowing down on my D700 purchase (basically I was deciding which system to heavily invest in for the next few years so it was big) and you don't need to go that extreme lol3.gif but that simple test will get you the best possible camera. All can take great images now so it is those little quirks that differentiate now.