New equipment

choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited February 19, 2010 in Cameras
I currently have Canon XSi with the kit lens but I'm thinking of upgrading my equipment to Canon 40D (used) and Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens with Canon 430EX TTL flash (used). I've never worked with flashes before so just giving it a shot.
What do you guys think of this package???

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    I currently have Canon XSi with the kit lens but I'm thinking of upgrading my equipment to Canon 40D (used) and Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens with Canon 430EX TTL flash (used). I've never worked with flashes before so just giving it a shot.
    What do you guys think of this package???

You see that combination a fair amount and the EF 24-105mm, f4L IS USM is capable of very nice images. Do keep your EF-S 18-55mm, f3.5-5.6 IS for indoor family and event work. With that flash and an appropriate flash modifier, both lenses have a lot to offer.

Also consider a Sigma EF-530 DG Super, E-TTL II compatible flash. I have 4 of the Sigma 5xx series Super flashes and they are a remarkable value with power and cost similar to the Canon 430EX, but a feature set more similar to the 580EX.

The following were all shot with a single Sigma flash for instance:

577453135_oFxDv-L.jpg

143666541-L.jpg

116991254-D.jpg

http://sigma4less.com/sigma-ef-530-dg-super-e-ttl-shoe-mount-flash-for-canon-eos-with-e-ttl-ii-operation.html

I primarily use a DIY scoop similar to:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Thanx a lot ziggy53. I actually have Canon 50mm f/4 and sigma 55-200mm f/3.6 lens. I was actually thinking of selling the XSi with the kit lens as I'm low on funds and would compensate for my new equipment.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I have a Canon 430 EX. Very soon I plan on buying two Sigma EF 530 supers, the ones that Ziggy recommends. Once they come in the 430 goes and I decide if I want a fourth flash, and if I do then a third sigma, with the fourth being a VERY old simple flash.

My recommendation is go straight to the sigma flash. If nothing else more power. I want the wireless E-TTL :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 19, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    I have a Canon 430 EX. Very soon I plan on buying two Sigma EF 530 supers, the ones that Ziggy recommends. Once they come in the 430 goes and I decide if I want a fourth flash, and if I do then a third sigma, with the fourth being a VERY old simple flash.

My recommendation is go straight to the sigma flash. If nothing else more power. I want the wireless E-TTL :)

Be sure to test the Sigma flashes first before getting rid of the 430EX. The Canon and Sigma interfaces are quite a bit different and not everyone settles in. I have no problems however.

I did just get a used Canon 580EX and I really love it for its user interface, but I also love the Sigma flashes too and I don't have any great problems switching back and forth. I also got an external power supply to fit the 580EX, the real reason for the purchase, and with full power recycle times in the 2 - 2.5 sec range it will come in handy. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums