Options

Polarizing filter? cost/which

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 3, 2005 in Accessories
I was going to do something nice for myself. I thought, well, I can't afford a lens, or flash, etc...............so it occurred to me that I could buy this "little" 77 mm polarizing filter for my wide angle.

I thought, that would not cost that much. I was wrong: I think they are over my budget.

My question is what does one have to, or what should one, spend to get a polarizing filter for a good L lens?

Or any filter for that matter?

My lens I was thinking of is my 17-40mmL Canon lens, this time, specifically.

But I have had people say not to put a cheap filter on a good lens, etc. Makes sense, but what is cheap, what is acceptable, in today's world.

ginger (I did do a search, would have taken me forever to get a straight answer on this question.)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    I use B+W circular polarizers on mine. They are a little more expensive, but they're worth it. I have a thin one for my 10-22 and a regular one for my long lenses, and a 72mm one for my 35 L. I bought a step up (down?) ring, $6, to use the 72 on my 58mm lenses, the 100 macro, 85, 50.

They are a joy to use when taking water pictures or if you're forced to take shots in harsh sunlight.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I use B+W circular polarizers on mine. They are a little more expensive, but they're worth it. I have a thin one for my 10-22 and a regular one for my long lenses, and a 72mm one for my 35 L. I bought a step up (down?) ring, $6, to use the 72 on my 58mm lenses, the 100 macro, 85, 50.

They are a joy to use when taking water pictures or if you're forced to take shots in harsh sunlight.
    Thanks, were they the ones like 250.00?

How do you know "thin" from "regular"?

ginger
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, were they the ones like 250.00?

How do you know "thin" from "regular"?

ginger
    No, more around $100. The more expensive ones are encased to prevent anything getting in the grooves. These are more for people who would be shooting in dusty, windy areas or sandy areas like the beach, which I personally don't need.

When ordering it will say thin. The thin ones also come with a cap since they are too thin to accomodate the regular lens cap. Also, make sure it says circular, otherwise it's the older filter for 35mm cameras.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Thanks, Khaos,

ginger:):
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    I'm also looking for a circular polarizer for my 77mm lens. So far from what I found is the cheapest, Sunpak, starts at $60, B+W is about $150. I'm not really sure what the difference is but I don't normally use a polarizer so I may opt for the cheaper version.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/specials.html

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Ginger, see if you can maybe borrow one from someone first before you spend your money. I have one for my 10-22 and I'm a little iffy still if I like it or not. When using a CP on an ultra wide sometimes you get "wierd skies".
    30476771-M.jpg

Notice how the center is darker then the left and right sides.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    I believe a 17mm like the one in Gingers lens would be ok. Theres a ton of difference in the Field Of View between her 17 and the 10 you're having. But still: wide angle and polarizing filters might be iffy. Said the one not using any polarizers...
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 3, 2005
    B+W offer quality optical glass and a nicer feel rotating the front element. I have
    both a Hoya and B+W and honestly, don't know the difference.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 3, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Ginger, see if you can maybe borrow one from someone first before you spend your money. I have one for my 10-22 and I'm a little iffy still if I like it or not. When using a CP on an ultra wide sometimes you get "wierd skies".
    30476771-S.jpg

Notice how the center is darker then the left and right sides.

This is typical of a polarizing filter on an ultra-side angle lens. The polarizing effect of a polarizing filter is at its greatest 90 degrees to the axis ofthe sun and falls off rapidly from there. Wide angle lenses encompass so much sky that you frequently will get variations in the polarizing effect from the center to the corners of the frame. This will be true no matter how expensive the filter is - it is typical of a polarizing filter.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin