Food Photography

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I was asked to take some food shots for a restaurant to use on their website and some print ads. This is a new area for me so I did a little research to find some techniques to help. Below are some of my first attemps. As with all first attempts, I found I was not completely prepared. One thing I wish I had taken was some greenery. I also was not prepared for how long it takes to put this kind of shot together.

If any of you are food photography experts I would love to hear your opinions on what I can add to make the shots better. Thanks

1. I left the space over the food for copy in the vertical shots.
791999444_fQD6x-XL.jpg

2. I had to raise the table about a foot to get the logo on the wall.
791998970_Zkc62-XL.jpg

792000255_9EZpo-XL.jpg

791999864_mwTFi-XL.jpg

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    All the food shots - for commercial purposes - I've ever seen present the perfect "presentation".

In most of your photos here the silverware is kinda tossed on the table. The implements are askew or partially unviewable. The asparagus doesn't look appetizing poking over the rim of the dish in #1 and is blurry in #2. The hamburger looks messy in both shots. The candle is just a white blob.

From what I've seen in magazines, shots of this type all show food as it is never served in a real restaurant. Your shots do.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    A pretty good attempt, but to be honest none of the food in your pics looks very appetizing.

The food needs to:

1) fill the frame
    2) be well-lit
    3) make your mouth water

Some of the tricks to make this happen would amaze you! In many TV adverts, and set-ups for food magazine shots, hot-food is very seldom used as it would get cold too quickly (think a half-day shoot); and what about ice-cream melting too quickly?

Here's a starter; there are lots of other leads (isn't the InterNet wonderful!)

Good Luck!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    The subject on all 4 pictures looks delicious. You've hit the mark there. In 3 and 4 the condiment caddy on the table in the back round keeps catching my attention.

Kris
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    All the food shots - for commercial purposes - I've ever seen present the perfect "presentation".

In most of your photos here the silverware is kinda tossed on the table. The implements are askew or partially unviewable. The asparagus doesn't look appetizing poking over the rim of the dish in #1 and is blurry in #2. The hamburger looks messy in both shots. The candle is just a white blob.

From what I've seen in magazines, shots of this type all show food as it is never served in a real restaurant. Your shots do.

I understand your point about seeing it as it is never served in a restaurant. I did want to convey the casual setting of the place which is why I tried a random placement of utensils. I guess I missed the mark there.
    At this restaurant the burgers are actually served in a basket, which is how the owner wanted it photographed. After taking some shots with the basket I insisted on a plate.
    A few points: Would it have been better with a red candle (which they have)? Would the scene benefit from a greater DOF (blurry asparagus)? What elements could I add for more color?

Thanks for your honesty.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Clixphoto wrote:
    I understand your point about seeing it as it is never served in a restaurant. I did want to convey the casual setting of the place which is why I tried a random placement of utensils. I guess I missed the mark there.
    At this restaurant the burgers are actually served in a basket, which is how the owner wanted it photographed. After taking some shots with the basket I insisted on a plate.
    A few points: Would it have been better with a red candle (which they have)? Would the scene benefit from a greater DOF (blurry asparagus)? What elements could I add for more color?

Thanks for your honesty.

I think you are between a rock and a hard place. You want to convey a casual setting, but what makes people want to go to a restaurant is not a hamburger that looks like one they make at home. If the hamburgers are served in basket at the restaurant, that's the way they should be photographed for an ad. Just make the basket look pretty and the contents look appetizing.

You have other problems, too, in my opinion. Any place that serves hamburgers on plates, and has candles on the table, would serve beer with a glass. I'd take out the water glass and put in a frosty mug or beer glass if the idea is to convey that they serve liquor.

I'd shoot much closer, superimpose the logo rather than draw back and show the wall, and maybe set the hamburger up with the top bun half off and the tomato (bright red) showing for color in a tilted basked. Dump the mustard and ketchup mix (which turns my stomach) and put the pickles on the side for extra color. I dunno about the candle. The hamburger joints I go to aren't big on candles.

I should point out that I'm not commenting on the photography itself. I'm commenting on a photograph that is an advertisement.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I think you are between a rock and a hard place. You want to convey a casual setting, but what makes people want to go to a restaurant is not a hamburger that looks like one they make at home. If the hamburgers are served in basket at the restaurant, that's the way they should be photographed for an ad. Just make the basket look pretty and the contents look appetizing.

You have other problems, too, in my opinion. Any place that serves hamburgers on plates, and has candles on the table, would serve beer with a glass. I'd take out the water glass and put in a frosty mug or beer glass if the idea is to convey that they serve liquor.

I'd shoot much closer, superimpose the logo rather than draw back and show the wall, and maybe set the hamburger up with the top bun half off and the tomato (bright red) showing for color in a tilted basked. Dump the mustard and ketchup mix (which turns my stomach) and put the pickles on the side for extra color. I dunno about the candle. The hamburger joints I go to aren't big on candles.

I should point out that I'm not commenting on the photography itself. I'm commenting on a photograph that is an advertisement.

Point taken on the photography. I'm confident that the exposure is close and can be refined in the final shoot. Your comments are exactly what I need.

The problem with the basket is that it has sides, is lined with paper and hides the bottom of the burger. And how do you make a basket look pretty? I just used the candle because all the tables have them and it looked kind of bare to me without it. I'm up for prop suggestions.