Cake

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited February 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    This is cute, Ben. I'd try to lighten it to make the shadows more visible and make the flesh tones less muddy.
    If not now, when?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    This is cute, Ben. I'd try to lighten it to make the shadows more visible and make the flesh tones less muddy.

Yeah I saw the same, it's that dang "Vegan" kid think again.
    Heck I'll go back and have a go.

Hey did ya like the "Title" rolleyes1.gif
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Hey did ya like the "Title" rolleyes1.gif
    Since you asked, it's a perfectly reasonable title. There's nothing ambiguous about the fact that there's cake in the shot. I suspect I can remember the image from this title a few days from now, also. That's what it's all about right?

And just so I can fit in, let me giggle a little about something or other... rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Where's the cake?:hide

Virginia

Email
    edited February 19, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Where's the cake?:hide

Virginia

I was gonna be a Sm....A and say, well maybe I meant a real cake/or not :D

However I reprocessed the image, see it now ne_nau.gif
    edited February 19, 2010
    Absolutely and thank you for not being an sob about my dumb remark, though, given the discussions going on about titles ...

But this is about your photo. Brightening the photo makes all the difference. At least on my monitor it was too dark before and, while the little girl looked appealing and I loved the hand off to the right, this is so much better.

And it has a cake too.wings.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited February 19, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Absolutely and thank you for not being an sob about my dumb remark, though, given the discussions going on about titles ...

But this is about your photo. Brightening the photo makes all the difference. At least on my monitor it was too dark before and, while the little girl looked appealing and I loved the hand off to the right, this is so much better.

Virginia

Hey Virginia glad to see you back and you brought up something I want to ask about:
    While reworking this one, Wifey came by and said why don't you crop tighter, get rid of that hand,
    it makes no sense. I replied no, no it needs to there. She says Ok Why?

Now I'm stuck, why do I know it should be there but can't explain. So I say to her you know I
    just feel it needs to be there. ne_nau.gif

And you come along and see it too? Art go figure I guess!
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Hey Virginia glad to see you back and you brought up something I want to ask about:
    While reworking this one, Wifey came by and said why don't you crop tighter, get rid of that hand,
    it makes no sense. I replied no, no it needs to there. She says Ok Why?

Now I'm stuck, why do I know it should be there but can't explain. So I say to her you know I
    just feel it needs to be there. ne_nau.gif

And you come along and see it too? Art go figure I guess!
    I think there's probably two opportunities there, depending on one's inclination. Remove the hand and you've got a kid sneaking a taste. Leave the hand and you've got a kid helping with a cake. This is what makes candid photography so much fun!
    Travis
    edited February 20, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I think there's probably two opportunities there, depending on one's inclination. Remove the hand and you've got a kid sneaking a taste. Leave the hand and you've got a kid helping with a cake. This is what makes candid photography so much fun!

Or you have a kid and an adult sneaking a taste! The adult presence adds ambiguity, which is why I like the hand there.

That said, I agree that it works either way.

Email
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:

Virginia

I agree. I looked at the first version and couldn't see a cake or anything related to it. This is MUCH better.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited February 21, 2010
    Thanks Folks for chiming in on the hand thingy.

I did for myself crop it out, and I didn't care for it much.
    So the hand stays.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    792056987_HMDB6-L-1.jpg

When my students are picking their projects, they often go back and forth over whether to end up with color or black and white. The one piece of advice I tend to be quite adement about is - NO FOOD IN BACK AND WHITE; it tends to look repulsive. How about letting us see this in color?mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited February 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    When my students are picking their projects, they often go back and forth over whether to end up with color or black and white. The one piece of advice I tend to be quite adement about is - NO FOOD IN BACK AND WHITE; it tends to look repulsive. How about letting us see this in color?mwink.gif

Sure
    794605704_AyGhm-L.jpg
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Cute kid, and great grab…

…but I think Kodakchrome did for food photography in 1935 what colour TV did for snooker in the late 1960s.

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Ah! Beat me to the punch! (damn… damn… damn… damn… damn… damn…damn…damn…damn…damn…damn…damn…)

BTW: er, um... what's the significance of the two fingers on the right? (…yeah, I'm from the UK, and surely they can't mean what I think they might mean???? eek7.gif )
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Sure
    794605704_AyGhm-L.jpg

An adjustment here and there - and much better. clap.gif This may not be right, but...
    794605704_AyGhm-L.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    The whites of the eyes are just a trifle blue (IMNSHO)…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau