Options

Digital Darkroom Assignment: 6/8 - 6/15

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited June 14, 2004 in Finishing School
Your assignment: Levels

Use levels adjustments to alter an image.

Levels adjustments are a very powerful tool. You can use them to correct exposure problems, or you can use them for special effects. Levels adjustments can be handy when making masks as well.

Here are some levels examples:

Original - Notice how this image is kind of flat???
4957279-S.jpg

Levels dialog before making adjustments:
4957280-S.jpg

Levels dialog after adjustments - I've moved the black and white sliders in
4957281-S.jpg

Result:
4957282-S.jpg

Playing Around:
4957283-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Assignment on Levels/ June 8
    I found good information on levels in the photoshop 7 Wow book, not much time to use it with appt and PC problems, but I used it on one picture. Scott Kelby's book prefers curves, it said that levels was used for black and white, not color.
    I am curious about that. This is my result (s) g

The original is the first one, nothing done to it4967668-M.jpg

Levels, mostly automatic as directed in a sidebar p116 in Photoshop 7 WOW Book. That is the second one.

4967669-L.jpg

I think that was also sharpened a bit. And then I used layers vivid light, and I framed it, so it was levels and vivid light (vivid something anyway in layers). This is "in the neighborhood", but the people are not terribly evident in this picture, IMO. I will go back there when needed. This was about 1:30 Sunday afternoon, that is not a good time for photography, but it is a good time for me, so I do it anyway. The third one.

4967667-L.jpg

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Here are a few before and afters from me.

REMEMBERING; Hatcher Pass, Alaska - Before level adjustment</EM>

4970705-M.jpg

REMEMBERING; Hatcher Pass, Alaska - After level adjustment

4970706-M.jpg

SUNRISE ON KASHWITNA; Kashwitna River, Alaska - Before level adjustment</EM>

4971100-M.jpg

SUNRISE ON KASHWITNA; Kashwitna River, Alaska - After level adjustment</EM>

4971101-M.jpg]

FLOWER BOY; Birmingham, AL - Before level adjustment</EM>

4971605-M.jpg

FLOWER BOY; Birmingham, AL - After level adjustment</EM>

4971604-M.jpg
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2004
    I can't get those frigin images to come up. Oh well need to click link I guess. Doing something wrong and haven't figured it out yet.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    external links "on"??
    bham wrote:
    I can't get those frigin images to come up. Oh well need to click link I guess. Doing something wrong and haven't figured it out yet.

check your gallery settings. you may have "external links" turned off, or you are linking originals and the gallery is set to not show originals./....
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2004
    bham ....
    bham wrote:

use the "share with friends and forums" button and then copy/paste the -M link for your photo into the dgrin post ...

use the insertpic icon (mountain,sun,it's a yellow box) and paste into there
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    bham, check out this thread for how to post a pic here. You're hitting the wrong button when you post a pic. I fixed it in your earlier post. As Andy says, hit the yellow button, not the blue globe with the chain on it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    bham, check out this thread for how to post a pic here. You're hitting the wrong button when you post a pic. I fixed it in your earlier post. As Andy says, hit the yellow button, not the blue globe with the chain on it.
    I will check out. I meant to post 6 pics total, 3 before and afters. I thought I remembered how it was done from another site, guess I did it incorrectly. Don't post regularly, but visit a ton.

Ok Got it.

I spent way more time posting than I did doing the assignment. It was late and I was forgetting to put the -M.jpg in the link. Something that simple. I had all the setting for gallery correct. I remembered that from posting to other places. Well thanks for the help.

I posted three which I knew was the limit for the photo assignment and figured probably the same here. Hope not to much.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2004
    posting limits?
    Is there a limit to the number of posts to post here?

Is there a limit all over, or just here and there, or just there.

Not that I want to post anymore, but I think we should know this stuff, or I would like to know, please clarify.

ginger
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    Nice use of levels, bham, especially the first couple. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ginger

The tyrant Cletus will probably set a limit, now that you've gone and said something about it... mwink.gif

Actually, I don't believe there is a limit.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    Here are some before and afters from the fast disappearing Alaskan town of Shishmaref. It's on a barrier island that is rapidly eroding thanks to global warming. These are pics of the erosion, and sea levels. In each case I tried to use levels and layers to make the pic normal, and also to emphasize the erosion. I used a bit of contrast/brightness too, but mostly levels.

Before
    5004360-S.jpg
    After
    5004361-S.jpg

Before
    5004362-S.jpg
    After
    5004363-S.jpg

Before
    5004368-S.jpg
    After
    5004369-S.jpg

Before
    5004364-S.jpg
    After
    5004365-S.jpg

The pics were taken by Tony Weyiouanna Jr, who's leading the effort to find the $50 million that Shishmaref needs to relocate to the mainland. Failing that, when the sea claims their town and their island, the people of Shishmaref will disppear into other communities, their particular brand of subsistence lifestyle and culture lost forever.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Is there a limit all over, or just here and there, or just there.

Not that I want to post anymore, but I think we should know this stuff, or I would like to know, please clarify.

ginger
    Hi ginger,

Feel free to post as many images as you like in any of the digital darkroom assignments!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Your assignment: Levels

Use levels adjustments to alter an image.
    Playing around with levels... Original shot
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    messin with levels
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    Before and after..............
    My PC is so bad. Obviously this has had more done than levels. Sometimes, I just go on til the thing is finished in my mind.

before

5019692-L.jpg

After

5019434-L.jpg

g
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    Ya done good, Ginger, the new version looks great.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    My PC is so bad. Obviously this has had more done than levels. Sometimes, I just go on til the thing is finished in my mind.

before

g

whoa - nice work ginger!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    Excellent Ginger.

One of my favorites you have posted so far.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    before

After

g
    Beautiful Ginger.. nice work.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    Thank you all
    lynnma wrote:
    Beautiful Ginger.. nice work.clap.gif

I am really touched and gratified by all the nice words, really, I am! Now I know not how to post again. Could I do better? Maybe, someday. But I am a wannabee, too, so I take my "luck" where I find it. When it is recognized, I am ecstatic. I dragged my husband over to look at the picture, etc.

Post again? I will have to, but it will be with great trepidation. KInd of like a really good tennis shot, I just say, in jest, "I think I will go home now".

Seriously, I really appreciate all the nice comments. I would like to thank.............. No, seriously again, I was entranced with the sky, that bridge in the distance is being replaced, so I wanted to include it, and to give it place, etc, I put the end of the aircraft carrier, The Yorktown, in the picture.

I had seen, in one of my new books, a way to use levels selectively, so I did that with this photo, to allow the color of the grass to come through, and I went from there.

Thank you all so much, I do have a picture of the Yorktown itself, the aircraft carrier from WW2. I am "scared" to post it. I used levels there, also. In fact, I am using levels like a crazy leveling fool, sometimes with dramatic results, sometimes with little difference. In these particular pictures the affect was dramatic.

I do not like that area, I don't like taking tours of large ships, but I was meeting someone, an internet friend, a lawyer woman from Iowa, just here for a few hours.

I have been so glad that David posted how to smooth a face out (in a portrait), in another place, she had acne scars, and gosh darn, but that info probably gave her one of the few good shots she has had of herself. Thanks so much for advice and accolades. All.

As an aside, with two dogs pulling their leashes, I held my camera up, took some shots of the sky, then walked a bit, took a few shots of the Yorktown and the bridges with the sky a major component. I never dreamed I had one of my "better" shots. I was just playing around, smile.

Thanks, muchly, all, blush/blush, humbly, lol,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    I missed the thread on smoothing out facial blemishes, Ginger. Can you tell me where to find it?
    Sid.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I missed the thread on smoothing out facial blemishes, Ginger. Can you tell me where to find it?

You can find it here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Lake Tahoe
    The wedding we attended last weekend was in Lake Tahoe. I took a few shots of the sunset on the lake, but it was pretty dark. It was hard to capture the pink reflection on the lake. With some levels and some curves I think I improved it.
    Before:
    5046568-S.jpg

After:
    5046567-S.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 11, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    The wedding we attended last weekend was in Lake Tahoe. I took a few shots of the sunset on the lake, but it was pretty dark. It was hard to capture the pink reflection on the lake. With some levels and some curves I think I improved it.
    Before:
    5046568-S.jpg

After:
    5046567-S.jpg
    The contrast difference between the sky and the dark green evergreens can be as much as 3 -4 fstops - too much to really correct well with levels or curves. Graduated neutral density filters to fit over the front of the camera lens can help a great deal in this circumstance if your camera is on a tripod.
    Neutral density filters can uually be found in your local camera store and slide into a holder that screws into the front of the lens like a filter. Cokin P adapters I think they are called.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Thanks Pathfinder, I really can't do too much with my Olympus C5050z. I did get a lens adapter and a polorizing filter for it. I have a few filters for my old Canon SLR film camera, but I need to get some better digital equipment. I'll have to check those filters out. Maybe I can use them on my camera. If a polorizing filter fits, there may be others. I have very little knowledge about using filters.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 11, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Pathfinder, I really can't do too much with my Olympus C5050z. I did get a lens adapter and a polorizing filter for it. I have a few filters for my old Canon SLR film camera, but I need to get some better digital equipment. I'll have to check those filters out. Maybe I can use them on my camera. If a polorizing filter fits, there may be others. I have very little knowledge about using filters.
    If your camera has threads on the front of the lens mount for a polarizer, you can use a neutral gradient filter. Ask at your local camera store about neutral density filters or at B&H - they are easy to find - just takes a little practice and planning head.lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    If you can't do a filter, then shoot the picture twice. Expose it once for the sky. Expose it a second time for the trees. Then do a digital blend in the image program of your choice. In the final image, reveal the sky and mountains from one shot, and reveal the trees from the second shot.

Of course, you'll need a tripod and an image program to do this. (The tripod, so your two shots are framed identically.)

And it's a lovely picture the way it is, BTW, very nice indeed.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can find it here.
    Thanks David. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Just for the record, the cokin P series only differ from the A series in size and cost. The P series are larger.

For your camera the A series filters will work just as well and cost less and are smaller.

Even if you do not have threads on the front of your lens for filters it still may be usefull to have the filter. On shots with shutter speeds 1/15th or more it is possible to just hold the filter in front of the lens with your other hand. Hold it as still as you can and you wil likely get the result you are looking for.

This shot was taken while hand holding the graduated nuetral density filter in front of the lense.

4781544-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2004
    Facial Blemishes
    wxwax wrote:

Do you have Scott Kelby's book? I have the one on Photoshop 7, I think that greaper, or someone was quoting from his CS book. The one on Photoshop 7 has this subject on page 178.

I first saw the post on, I think, People and Pets. Then a thread on a Portrait.

ginger

I can do better at answering later tonight or tomorrow. And I have been gone all day.