1st time using texture

SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited February 20, 2010 in People
Hi everyone. Haven't posted anything in a while, and wanted to share. This shot is from a recent shoot with a friend, and my 1st time adding texture in a shot. I don't think it will be my last time though! :barb

Let me know what you think, and if there is anything that you would improve.

780566856_N7HyC-L.jpg

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    I love textures, that is the next thing I am going to learn to do also.

Not sure if you are asking for comments on the texture or over all shot.

Not a big fan of that particular texture on this particular shot.
    It works against the building but makes her shirt just look dirty.

As to the photo itself I like the pose, pretty girl.
    The lighting could be much improved. The eye goes to the brightest spot in the photo and in this case it is the wall which appears to be blown out.
    She needs more light on her face, maybe the overall effect of the texture was to darken the photo.

Anyway overall I would say this is a good first attempt. I hope somebody comes on with some good experience with textures...I would love to see some info on how to do that.
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    is there a tutorial to do this? it looks cool
  • SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I would agree that the texture makes her shirt look dirty. In hindsight, I would probably lessen the effect on that part of the shot so that it's not so dark.

Adding the texture to a shot is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think the hardest part is finding the correct texture to use with the right shot.

I use CS3, and I took a shot of a scratched up piece of metal and added it as a layer on the portrait. I then chose "overlay" as the blending method (sorry if that's not the correct term - I'm no photoshop expert). Next, I took the eraser tool, made the opacity about 25%, and erased the texture off her face (should have done the same thing on her shirt). After that, I flattened the image and that's it.