Options

Looney D70

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited August 5, 2005 in Cameras
Well, I went out to get used to my 3 hour old SB-600 with the D70 and test the whole wireless remote deal. It work great.... for a little while. Then the D70 went off the deep end. It started doing really wierd things, all related to the on board flash. When in Aperuature priority it would say that the flash was up when it wasn't, it would meter that the flash would fire but it didn't, it would meter that the flash wouldn't fire but it did. In auto it would open the flash and then not use it, or try to use it without opening. I found that turning it off and back on cleared it for a few frames. Also it worked flawlessly with the SB-600 onboard. I gave up and out it in the bag and went to bed, this am when I turned it on with it still in apurature priority the flash was closed, but it said it was open, so I pressed the flash button and it opened and said it was closed. :huh I turned it to auto and back to aperuature and after that it worked fine. What is going on?

James.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    As an update/bump, it went crazy again last night, as soon as I tried to use the wireless flash deal. This makes no sense at all to me. It must have something to do with commander mode as it works flawlessly when on plain old TTL, with ether the on-board or the SB-600 in the hot shoe. When in comander mode, last night with the SB-600 off I tried taking some shots handheld where the on-board should fire, it did, for the first three frames, then quit, closing the flash part way and reopening made it start to work again. Any ideas?

James.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Trade it in for a much superior peice of equipment.

go CANON, YOU KNOW YOU WANNA. clap.gifthumbclap.giftiptoebowdown.gifdealnod.gif15524779-Ti.gifcoolnaughty.giftoni:photo:bday:flashcheerleader.giflynnmacheerleader.giflynnmacheerleader.giflynnma
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    Trust me the, the thought has crossed my mind, but it's not my only Nikon DSLR. I had always been a Cannon person before getting an F5 in a trade, I am by no means a Nikons only guy. That said when standing there with the D70 and 20D, I am unimpressed with the 20D.

James.
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Don't let the Canon folks get you down... :)

Have you contacted Nikon about this yet?

I have a D70 and have had no problems with the flash. I haven't used the SB600 but I have used a Sunpak 383 Super with it and I have had no problems.

Sorry I don't have more help that that. I assume you have tried the little reset button on the bottom?

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    MrBook2 wrote:
    Don't let the Canon folks get you down... :)

Have you contacted Nikon about this yet?

I have a D70 and have had no problems with the flash. I haven't used the SB600 but I have used a Sunpak 383 Super with it and I have had no problems.

Sorry I don't have more help that that. I assume you have tried the little reset button on the bottom?

--Aaron
    I actually havn't tried the reset yet, it might be in order.

James.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    I would contact Nikon. It sounds like you have a defective D70.

Mine works with that combination both on board and wirelessly. It is disconcerting that your problems are intermittent. Must be a problem with the camera.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    I would contact Nikon. It sounds like you have a defective D70.

Mine works with that combination both on board and wirelessly. It is disconcerting that your problems are intermittent. Must be a problem with the camera.
    I will. I have noticed something more about it though, it almost always starts right after the wireless flash complains of overexposure, but then it affects even the onboard after a power down.

James.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 5, 2005
    James - I'm sorry you're having problems. I haven't had any such problem with my D70... (and I can't see how a Canon would change this considering the D70 has consistently superior reviews in almost every magazine :D )
    Did you purchase it from a retailer where you can walk it in and ask for help?

I agree with the others, seems you have a defective piece of equipment - either the camera or the flash unit.