My first studio lighting shots...

TayTay Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited February 23, 2010 in People
Hello everyone :) I'm brand new here, and brand new to photography in general. Last weekend our local photowalking group set up a studio lighting project for us all to play with, where we went around and took shots of volunteer models in different kinds of lighting set ups.

I must admit I had nothing to do with the light, but I would love to hear what you think about my composition, posing, and what kind of post work you would do on these. Don't be afraid to be mean, I really want to learn how to get good at this!

(also, I hope these kinds of posts are acceptable, if it's not cool for new people to come and ask for critique/advice please let me know)

4371772400_37914c1196_b.jpg

4371023383_c364fbfce2_b.jpg

4371022869_8425db92ec_b.jpg

4371022349_aacdcaa538_b.jpg

4371021883_4f211c4629_b.jpg

Comments

• CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Welcome to the boards!

#1) I liked until I scrolled down the rest of the pic. That looks like a heck of an uncomfortable pose. Just makes me question why anyone would sit for a photo like that. At first (before I scrolled down) it looked like she was laying down or bent over somewhat. Wasn't expecting what I ended up seeing.

#2) Nice expressions! Seems a little dark. I would have prefered them facing the center of the frame vs. the right side.

#3) Kinda blurry. And i think it would have been better to photograph her front as oppose to her back.

#4) Seems a bit too center. And that strand of hair is distracting. I'd want to clone that out.

#5) A little dark. And again that strand of hair.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I'm just starting out myself. All it is really is opinion and well...you know what they say about that. Overall I liked 1 the most if not for that pose.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Welcome to digital Grin!

Well, if I could see the pictures I would be more then happy to help out, but somehow I can't, so...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • TayTay Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Welcome to digital Grin!

Well, if I could see the pictures I would be more then happy to help out, but somehow I can't, so...

Hrm headscratch.gif really? I can see them, and apparently CyberSteak could too... not sure what to do...
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Check your Private messagesmwink.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Absolutely welcome. Everyone is encouraged to post pictures and ask for help - and to give opinions too:D

BTW - it really helps if you number your images so we can comment without having to scroll up and down counting the pictures.

1. I agree - good shot but uncomfortable pose that doesn't really do anything for the model or the viewer.
    3. Like the action. It's a little underexposed. And as already said, a bit oof.
    4 & 5 - same. Could be a tad lighter and I'd lose that errant hair.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.:D
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Hi Tay and welcome to DGrin.

What is your processing setup (e.g. do you have a calibrated monitor)? Also what are you using for your post processing software? The first thing that I notice is that all of your images are underexposed to me which leads me to think that your processing is consistent so perhaps your equipment isn't giving you the true results.

As for the images:

1) The pose seems forced and the cropping is cutting off her feet and some finger tips. The image seems to be slightly out of focus. The eyes could be brightened and the spot in her eye could be removed and the whites could be brightened and yellow removed. The white strap on her right shoulder is distracting and I think I would remove the blemishes, at least on her right shoulder.

2) Very underexposed. I would shift the crop to have more on the right and bring the left just beyond his back. Remove blemishes.

3) Good idea but the shutter speed was too slow resulting in the blurry image. Also underexposed and I would have liked to see more of her face.

4) Can be a nice portrait but is underexposed and needs to be cropped to avoid center. The smile seems a bit forced and need to remove stray hair and brighten eyes.

5) Has good potential. Too straight on of a shot and also underexposed. Touch up blemishes.

Hope you don't mind but here is a sample of what I am talking about:
    792559993_2Sh6Z-XL.jpg
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    1st off- not too bad for your first studio lighting run. It's quite different from outdoor shooting, and it takes some getting used to.

Here's a general tip. Don't be afraid to put your camera on full manual. What you see and what you get when you pull the trigger are not the same (the strobes don't look anything like the scene when it is unlit), so pick and aperture you like, then guestimate the shutter speed. Use the histogram to verify, then adjust. Don't trust your eyes or the LCD screen. I would go for the fastest shutter speed possible, to get sharpness-- particularly when shooting motion shots. You can always go for underexposure and then rescue it in RAW processing.

BTW, I like the last shot. A lot. I don't like the composition of RBrogen's edit; in all honesty I dig the off centeredness of the original. If anything, I would clone out what little shadow details can be seen on the right side. Makes a sort of faux chiaroscuro effect. Very evil, which is nice. Aslo, excellent catchlights in the eyes. Typically they are at 10 0'clock or 2 o'clock, but in the bottom center, again, they make her look wicked. Nice.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • TayTay Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    As for the first one, she did that pose herself. She had been working with amateur photographers all day, and I think by the time I got to her she was used to not taking any direction, and just started throwing all sorts of poses in there. She made it very easy for me :D I hadn't really considered the uncomfortable pose, but it was the best shot as far as the 'look' she was giving me, with that beautiful eye contact, so it was my favorite.

Almost everything I took that day came out underexposed. I actually was in manual, and at every 'station' the person running the setup told us what aperture, iso, and shutter speed to use. So I was really surprised when everything came out dark! Could it perhaps be my camera at fault? Or were every one of the helpers wrong about the settings? ne_nau.gif I don't know. I know enough to get by about exposure, but I don't know how to read a histogram yet, and I'm starting to realize this is going to be extremely important to know, as my LCD screen is not at all trustworthy.

RBrogen, I love what you did with that! I agree with Justicerio that I liked the off center composition of the original one, but what you did to light up her face is so beautiful! I have a copy of Lightroom that I have not learned how to use yet, I need to pick up a book or something.

Man, there is so much to learn!

Thank you all so much for your feedback.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Tay wrote:

Almost everything I took that day came out underexposed. I actually was in manual, and at every 'station' the person running the setup told us what aperture, iso, and shutter speed to use. So I was really surprised when everything came out dark! Could it perhaps be my camera at fault?

Could very well be that your calibration is off.... If the cam is consistantly under-exposing, I'd adjust the exposure compensation until I had a 'good' histogram. Then I'd forgat awl about it and take pics. mwink.gif

Or,,, when in manual, tweak the aperture
    > ALWAYS TRUST THE HISTO!!!

Welcome to the show!!
  • morgan20morgan20 Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    impressive
    Impressive shots. Did u photoshop any?