Winter Night on Mt. Baker

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Landscapes
Danny (dseidman) and Dan (dls) and I met up to shoot the stars and Mt. Shuksan on Wednesday night from Mt. Baker (this trip had about 5 minutes of planning). Unfortunately there was this huge light on a nearby road that got all in the foreground, I tried my best to get rid of it in post processing. It's still an amazing location and worth the 300 miles and 6 hours of driving, and the 2.5 hours of sleep before work the next day :D

I plan to return to this spot at sunset and with some snow shoes.

791667567_oTuYB-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Excellent star trails. Love the fact that you showed detail of the mountain. Love it. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I don't know what you were after with the foreground without the light, but it doesn't look too bad.

Great shot. The foreground trees give it great perspective looking across what I presume is a small valley of some sort.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I assume the 300 miles was round trip? You are amazing. Great shot Ron.clap.gif I really like the pale blue sky trails (very unusual).
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    Excellent star trails. Love the fact that you showed detail of the mountain. Love it. thumb.gif

Cheers,

Thanks - I really wish Shuksan was this snowy all year round :D
    edited February 20, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    I don't know what you were after with the foreground without the light, but it doesn't look too bad.

Great shot. The foreground trees give it great perspective looking across what I presume is a small valley of some sort.

Thanks Karl. Actually there's a lake there (covered with snow now but mid summer it will thaw out).

This is what it looks like in peak fall color:

714129088_dZgEV-XL.jpg
    edited February 20, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    I assume the 300 miles was round trip? You are amazing. Great shot Ron.clap.gif I really like the pale blue sky trails (very unusual).

Yeah, 300 miles round trip, not each way (600 miles is a little too hard core for a weekday when I plan on going to work the next day!). I'll probably head back to this spot in the next few weeks and get some pink glow at sunset, and stick around for more stars.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Love 'em...good to see these again. :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    This is what it looks like in peak fall color:

Oh wow! Which lake is this? You mentioned a road light. Is that from near the Mt Baker Highway then?
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Both are great shots. I gotta do more star trails. Awesome job.
    edited February 21, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    Oh wow! Which lake is this? You mentioned a road light. Is that from near the Mt Baker Highway then?

It's Picture Lake, on the Mt. Baker Highway (542), around milepost 54. During peak fall color on the weekend there are at least 75 tripods there and a ton of people, there's a bunch of cool nearby trails though and the crowds thin out significantly.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Nice work. I like how bright your shot turned out. I agree that those lights were a pain to remove. That took up about 90% of the time I spent processing my version of this.

Let me know when you're thinking about heading back up there and hopefully I'll be free.
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Nice. You guys make me feel like a lazy bum... I have still yet to remove the bright area in mine.

And ditto regarding letting me know about any trips to the north cascades, planned or unplanned.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Great set of shots, Ron. Is the star trails a single exposure or did you generate two, one for the stars and the second for the mountain.
    edited February 23, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great set of shots, Ron. Is the star trails a single exposure or did you generate two, one for the stars and the second for the mountain.

Thanks - it was a single exposure around 14 minutes or so, f/4 at ISO 320.