Utah canyon land recommendations?

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited June 5, 2010 in Landscapes
We've got a trip planned to Zion/Bryce/Escalante this spring. Any tips on locations for slot canyons in the area that are reasonably accessible for photos? Reasonable means accessible w/out having to backpack in and overnight nor any technical climbing. We're fit enough for several miles RT day hikes but won't be hauling backpacking gear. Any advice will be appreciated.
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I don't know how much you've read up on Zion but the trial to Observation point is great! It's pretty strenuous (2000 ft in 4 miles, one way) but it passes through Echo Canyon which is very nice. There is also Hidden Canyon access off this same trail but I didn't go there since it was February and a lot of snow/ice was still around. Check out this site too if you haven't already:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/map.html
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Thanks, Aaron. Great map thumb.gif We've been to Zion a couple of times but I don't remember the names of the trails we hiked other than Angel's Landing. I'll check out the one you mentioned on the map. Thanks again.
    Dan

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 20, 2010
    acowan wrote:
    I don't know how much you've read up on Zion but the trial to Observation point is great! It's pretty strenuous (2000 ft in 4 miles, one way) but it passes through Echo Canyon which is very nice. There is also Hidden Canyon access off this same trail but I didn't go there since it was February and a lot of snow/ice was still around. Check out this site too if you haven't already:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/map.html
    I'll have to try this trail out next time I'm in Zion. thumb.gif

Not sure if it's classified as a true slot canyon, but the Subway of course is pretty good.

694267591_5VdpL-L-1.jpg
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I'll echo kdog on the Subway, it's amazing, not just the subway slot itself, but just before it there are two great waterfalls, here's one of them:

653791769_tkuBk-L.jpg

I would recommend trekking poles for this hike (not a lot of elevation gain, but some minor scrambling over rocks and small boulders, and the trail isn't especially well marked), you'll need to get a permit too. The hike through the Narrows is also amazing (and a lot of fun), there's an outfitter place in Springdale that lets you rent neoprene socks and special boots that make the hike easier.
    edited February 20, 2010
    Thanks folks. That subway does look like a cool area. And I'm fairly certain we'll hike up the river. We did that years ago and really enjoyed it. That was back before serious photography days but from what I remember there was very interesting lighting in the river canyon.
    Dan

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 20, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I'll echo kdog on the Subway, it's amazing, not just the subway slot itself, but just before it there are two great waterfalls...
    And the little pond before you get to the waterfalls ain't too shabby either. mwink.gif
    690523726_aJHvi-XL-1.jpg
    Ditto on the hiking poles. They're useful to help keep your balance in tricky situations and in general are very good things to have any time you're on rough terrain carrying a heavy pack.
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    We've got a trip planned to Zion/Bryce/Escalante this spring. Any tips on locations for slot canyons in the area that are reasonably accessible for photos? Reasonable means accessible w/out having to backpack in and overnight nor any technical climbing. We're fit enough for several miles RT day hikes but won't be hauling backpacking gear. Any advice will be appreciated.

I've found this site really helpful for my trips to the southwest. Enjoy.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/index.html
    edited February 23, 2010
    Thanks, joe-bob. That's the same site that Aaron recommended below and I am getting some great information from it. Thanks for the response.
    Dan

• joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2010
    Thanks, joe-bob. That's the same site that Aaron recommended below and I am getting some great information from it. Thanks for the response.

Oops...I missed that.
    edited June 1, 2010
    Well we finally made our trip to the desert. Thanks to the info gleaned from the links provided below I was armed with maps and directions for several slot canyons. Zion was our first stop. There was still enough spring run off taking place for the Park Service to have the Narrows and most of the backcountry canyon access shut down. However we were lucky enough to walk up and get a permit for the Subway (aka Left Fork of North Creek). Made that trip, Angel's Landing, Observation Point Trail, and Hidden Canyon. Then I got called back to work before we made it to Bryce, Escalante, or any of the slots I had information on. :cry

There was a lot of water flowing in North Creek so wasn't able to get the classic subway pictures with the turquoise colored potholes. Plus the high flow caused a lot of vibration if the tripod was set up in the creekbed. Also the falls downstream were cascades and not very photogenic. But... we managed a photo or two anyway.

Subway Lower Entrance
    125041855.jpg

Subway (composite image from three exposures)
    125072972.jpg

Watery Steps
    125073296.jpg
    Dan

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Looks like you did great with what Mother Nature delt you. Nice shots.
    edited June 2, 2010
    Thanks for commenting, Doug. Flip side of the conditions is that we did have good weather. Partly cloudy so variable lighting as the clouds/sun came and went.ne_nau.gif
    Dan

• aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    243657933_fT7aB-L-3.jpg
    Although it's a cliche shot, I still recommend False Kiva (above) in Canyonlands. Aztec Butte is also wort the hike.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Is subway a massive hike like it sounds? Thought I read somewhere it's 5 miles in, most of it through the the stream bed.
    edited June 5, 2010
    Is subway a massive hike like it sounds? Thought I read somewhere it's 5 miles in, most of it through the the stream bed.

It is probably upwards of five. More of a scramble than a hike. Well worth the trip. Pack plenty to eat and drink and make a day of it. Time well spent.
    Dan