Guevara Sisters

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Another one that made the edit that I had questioned:

121982186.jpg

My titles are almost always the names of the people in the photo.

Tina

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Another one that made the edit that I had questioned:

121982186.jpg

My titles are almost always the names of the people in the photo.

Tina
    This is wonderful, Tina. I can almost tell who gets all the attention.

And your titles are spot on, if I may say so. They are identifiable yet not descriptive. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I loved this picture when I first saw it and I've been coming back to it again and again to try to figure out why.

I would not have been having a dialog with myself, except that Tina flagged the photograph as iffy for her as a possible final selection.

So I have been asking myself why one might think it is iffy and why one might choose it.

Looking beyond the first impression, I noted that there is less visible of the face of the person on the right than the young girl on the left. Also, the face on the right is softer - not quite in focus.

So I asked myself: would it have worked better if the crop of the faces of the two people on either side of the young girl in the center were roughly identical - providing a symmetrical framing for the beautiful young girl in the center?. Or would a square crop to remove the girl on the right entirely would make it a better picture?

For me the answer is emphatically no! The oof girl on the right makes the picture for me. She adds ambiguity and pathos. It's as though she has moved out of childhood in to a harder reality. Or .. well I can come up with many stories to go with this picture.

Having spent this much time with it, I now find it hauntingly beautiful. I can see why it would survive a night of dreams to make the final cut.

Virginia

Email
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I like compositions which have attitude, and which mess with the frame. And I like a long, steady, level, direct look from a subject. And I like reverberations in an image, different harmonics, like musical instruments playing together, etc, etc...

So I guess I like this image, Tina.

I do think it is a little too, what?, rough-hewn? It just slightly crosses that border for me.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I loved this picture when I first saw it and I've been coming back to it again and again to try to figure out why.
    Having spent this much time with it, I now find it hauntingly beautiful. I can see why it would survive a night of dreams to make the final cut.
    Virginia

Thanks, Virginia. My editor absolutely loved this photo and I've been trying to figure out why. I think you explained it very well and gave me more to think about! You're right that sleeping on it helps.

Tina
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Intense looks from all three. The half faces framing the center face works very well (and isn't something that would have made it through my edit.) The one on our left is smiling, the one on our right is a little mystery because we can't see enough of her. The girl in the center is a mystery for another reason; her expression is ambiguous like The Mona Lisa almost.

Very nice.
    If not now, when?
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Intense looks from all three. The half faces framing the center face works very well (and isn't something that would have made it through my edit.) The one on our left is smiling, the one on our right is a little mystery because we can't see enough of her. The girl in the center is a mystery for another reason; her expression is ambiguous like The Mona Lisa almost.

Very nice.

Thanks, Rutt. It would not have made my edit, which makes me doubt any edit I do of my own work. That's why it's so great to have other eyes seeing things that I forgot I saw. :D

Tina
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Thanks, Rutt. It would not have made my edit, which makes me doubt any edit I do of my own work. That's why it's so great to have other eyes seeing things that I forgot I saw. :D

Tina

Here I go again. Tina, I'm with your instincts on this one. You've got some great images - allot of great images, but this one? Not so great. What I might have done is crop out the right hand sister (as we see her) and kept the other two. Or, maybe you could clone brother Che in place of that right hand sister? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

There is no doubt that we are our own worst editors - but sometimes even the worst editors get it right. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Sorry, to me there is more wrong with this photo than right.
    Of course opinions will vary..
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 22, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Sorry, to me there is more wrong with this photo than right.
    Of course opinions will vary..

No need to apologize, but you might elaborate some. ear.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Hi Richard,
    Well it just looks like what it is...three girls standing there waiting for a camera to go off.
    Not really any drama or story.
    The girl on the lefts shadow is hitting the girl in the middles face, kinda bugs me, and there is no symetry, spacing to the shot, my eye does not know where to settle, subject searching.
    Maybe if you cropped the right side off to the middle girls face to just to the right of her nose to match the girl on the left.....maybe...
    My favorite is to crop the photo from the bottom to just below the girl in the middles nose...if you did that it starts to get interesting to me...now it has some energy and symetry....but that is just my opinion.
    We all see things differently.