Some music pics

SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in People
I don't usually shoot music- I'm a "Combat Sports Photographer"- but it gives me something to do between gigs.

I took these last night- "Jonah and the Whales":

all shots taken at iso 6400 on a 7D using a Tamron 70-200
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Comments

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    All fantastic, particularly #1. I've tried to do this as well, and the only consistent thing about the results is that they, as a rule, suck. So give is the dirty tech details. The ISO 6400 is wicked clean, and a good advertisement for the 7d (looks better than 400 on my 20d). Did you have a flash, or is the light all ambient?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • SnapLocallySnapLocally Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Thanks.

As with shooting fights, I only shoot music in ambient lighting as seen above. I've successfully shot a few events with my 40D as well, but it's limited to iso 3200, and it produces more noise.
  • arrgh406arrgh406 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    The second one and the last one are definitely my favorites. I think that the bassist yelling really captures alot of emotion and is pretty great.
    The last one has a certain "je ne sais quoi" which fells a little mysterious and really draws me in.
    [URL]Http://jobphotography.smugmug.com[/URL]
    D90, 50/1.8, 18-105/3.5-5.6, 80-200 f/2.8 (finally!)
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    These are all good ... but (the big but), some are significantly better than others ... I think that by holding yourself to a higher standard (delete the "okay" images from the "best" images) that your portfolio/presentation would have much greater impact and much less dilution ....

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I think these are great, and I'm really happy to see that the 7D handles the high ISO so cleanly as I just bought one myself along with a 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I haven't shot any concert stuff in the past because I knew my D350 wasn't up to the task. At least now I know I can attempt it.