Puget Sound Ferry Series #1

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited February 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
ferry_042.jpg

This is from an ongoing project of doing street style work on ferries in the Puget Sound of Washington State. I had the idea of an eventual book but someone beat me to the punch ... which is just as well, it will give me a few more years to keep trying on this and of course, a few more opportunities to be questioned by police as to what I am doing.

I really like this photo but can't help but feel it is a little too cliche or dated in its style. What do you think?

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I think it's fantastic. The composition really brings those birds as surely into your face as they were in his. It may be a little cliche but it's very well done cliche. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    There's something surreal about it. I expect to see Hitchcock's head pop up. I'm with Travis on this. Well done.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    nice!
    If not now, when?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    seastack wrote:
    I really like this photo but can't help but feel it is a little too cliche or dated in its style. What do you think?

Fantastic image, but it definitely has a dated sense to it for me. On second thought, timeless might be a better word. For some reason, it's reminded me of Thatcher-era coastal England. Did you add the vignetting or is than an artefact from your setup?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    seastack wrote:
    ferry_042.jpg

This is from an ongoing project of doing street style work on ferries in the Puget Sound of Washington State. I had the idea of an eventual book but someone beat me to the punch ... which is just as well, it will give me a few more years to keep trying on this and of course, a few more opportunities to be questioned by police as to what I am doing.

Lovely! There is nothing here that doesn't work. And before worrying if this cliched, let's toss every sunset, sunrise, and smiling baby photo ever posted.
    rolleyes1.gif
    The question isn't whether a particular scene has been captured previously - what hasn't? - but rather does this image give us something worth looking at. And the answer here is a resounding Yes!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Can't say it better than those before me have. A wonderful capture!!

I remember some of your earlier pictures in this series. It is a worthy and challenging project.

A book in the future perhaps?

Virginia

Email
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    awseome awesome awesome! That's all i gotta say!thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com