Blue eyes in Black&White

SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in People
Hi everybody,

The following photo is from a small photo shoot (see here for the rest) I did with my cousin. The only editing I usually do is black/white conversion or some pimple retouching, nothing major. But she has such beautiful eyes (imho), I would try something to make them stand out. Does it work or is this too much?
770885293_2zyTb-M.jpg

Thanks in advance for any C&C!

Comments

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    IT does not work for me. It seems like there is a haze over her eyes or something. IMHO, it looks a bit spooky...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    IT does not work for me. It seems like there is a haze over her eyes or something. IMHO, it looks a bit spooky...
    Thanks Mr. Quiet. I had my doubts as well, that's why I posted it here. But spooky even mwink.gif
    The haze probably comes from the fact that is a crop from a much larger photo. With 6.2mp from my D70s this results in loss of detailrolleyes1.gif. I did shoot her little sister up-close, which are much better I think.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I have the same thing in my workshop. Pictures of my two sons and wife, all with blue eyes the rest in B&W.
    I like the subtle effect it has on the photos. About the only use of selective colouring I have liked in the past while.
    edited February 22, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    I have the same thing in my workshop. Pictures of my two sons and wife, all with blue eyes the rest in B&W.
    I like the subtle effect it has on the photos. About the only use of selective colouring I have liked in the past while.

Usually selective coloring is overdone, but in the right setting it can be beautiful or very powerful (remember Schindler's list). In my case I had my doubts... I tried it on one of the close-ups of her sister, but her eyes are too light blue to make a difference mwink.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    a good shot but the blues eyes aren' really doing it for me. It doesn''t kill the shot though. I do feel you need some more contrast and stronger black point.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I love the image
    I love the image but the selective coloring seems to minimize her beautiful eyes rather than placing an emphasis on them.

BTW: How lucky to have two beautiful cousins like these ladies...
    edited February 23, 2010
    Thank you all for the comments!
    rpcrowe wrote:
    I love the image but the selective coloring seems to minimize her beautiful eyes rather than placing an emphasis on them.

BTW: How lucky to have two beautiful cousins like these ladies...

Yes. I'm mwink.gif And I'll tell her, as Berit thinks she is not nearly as beautiful as her little sister (who has done some modeling). Hopefully they'll agree to do another session. They were very pleased with the end results, so that shouldn't be a problem.
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Svennie wrote:
    Thank you all for the comments!

Yes. I'm mwink.gif And I'll tell her, as Berit thinks she is not nearly as beautiful as her little sister (who has done some modeling). Hopefully they'll agree to do another session. They were very pleased with the end results, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Well she is wrong, she might have a different look (more mature as opposed to ingenue) but she is VERY good looking.

What I noticed in the pictures of the two of them was that her sister 'likes' the camera while Berit seems a bit reserved (especially on the shots with both of them). Hopefully once she has done this a few times and sees the results and the comments from impartial observers as to how gorgeous she is, she will begin to 'like' the camera also.

Good luck

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown