It's been a while

Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in People
Hey gang! It's been a while since I posted something, so I thought I'd share this one with you.

So I've been doing a lot of low key stuff lately and thought I should start focusing a little on some high key stuff so it won't be too foreign when I get a request.

So, we setup the lights, and used a white sheet as a backdrop as I don't have any muslin white backdrops.

So let me know what you think. C&C is always welcome! :D

793032391_KYCUn-XL.jpg

793031780_rNSkz-XL.jpg

793033315_sCLX8-XL.jpg

Thanks,
Joe
Joe
North View Studio
http://www.zoradphotography.com
Montreal, Canada

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Keep an eye out for hair bands models put around their wrists :D They do it ALL the time it usually distracts from your intended styling.

The white background looks nice. Not sure why you want expensive, heavy muslin-- white foam core, a white wall, or paper are all cheaper. A sheet can work fine too as long as it's smooth.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    dogwood wrote:
    Keep an eye out for hair bands models put around their wrists :D They do it ALL the time it usually distracts from your intended styling.

The white background looks nice. Not sure why you want expensive, heavy muslin-- white foam core, a white wall, or paper are all cheaper. A sheet can work fine too as long as it's smooth.

Hey Pete,

I thought of paper also, but I thought that with muslin I can wash it, it'll last me a long time, and I can get it in longer lengths than say bed sheets. I am more or less under the impression that with paper, when you are done you simply tear off the section that you used and throw it away, am I right? headscratch.gif

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Hey Pete,

I thought of paper also, but I thought that with muslin I can wash it, it'll last me a long time, and I can get it in longer lengths than say bed sheets. I am more or less under the impression that with paper, when you are done you simply tear off the section that you used and throw it away, am I right? headscratch.gif

Joe

Well, I'm kind of a penny pincher when it comes to paper and I almost always to milk rolls for multiple shoots without cutting off the area that was on the floor. If you light it correctly, you can re-use it several times. A silver umbrella as a key set up beauty style (pointed at an angle down at the model) can wash out quite a bit of smudges on the paper. Besides, you want the paper to be slightly darker on the floor so your model doesn't look like he/she is floating.

Even after you cut off a dirty section of a roll of paper, you can usually get another 3-4 shoots out of that roll.

Part of your choice, of course, depends on how easily you can get rolls of paper. They can be expensive to ship but if you have a local photography supply store, the nine foot wide rolls are about $50 each.

Also, you can use a piece of plexiglass on the paper to help keep it clean-- though this isn't practical if you're a location shooter. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Hey Pete,

Joe

My seamless paper is FILTHY but as long as it still works, I don't care. We get the 5ft and the 10 ft rolls (one of each - black and white) I haven't mastered lighting up the black to be jet black yet (our apartment isn't big enough to let me set somebody up far enough away from it, but I prefer white anyway.

I got my paper over the summer and it's been through a one year old, a maternity, a newborn and I don't know how many 'test runs' with us just playing around and there's still plenty left. The one year old got cake on the horizontal part, but not the vertical, so we just cut it off from the floor up threw the cake mess away.

I like to use sheets/curtains as backdrops, but I'm working sans studio, and I haven't figured out a way to transport fabric from point A to point B without creases/folds appearing.
    edited February 22, 2010
    Thanks guys, I might just give paper a try. I think I'll need to find someone locally though, cause shipping to Montreal might get a bit expensive.
    I like to use sheets/curtains as backdrops, but I'm working sans studio, and I haven't figured out a way to transport fabric from point A to point B without creases/folds appearing.

The one thing I have found to be an immense help when dealing with my muslin backgrounds, and curtains would certainly fall in this group also, is using clamps. I have about 6 clamps (you can get them at any home depot or ace hardware) and what I do is pull the cloth tight from side to side and clamp it in place. It reduces the wrinkles very nicely and it's an inexpensive way of doing it also! clap.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I haven't figured out a way to transport fabric from point A to point B without creases/folds appearing.
    Keep the bolt from a paper roll or something and wrap it around that.
    edited February 23, 2010
    Well, I finally got done with the set. So, without further ado, here is some of the final shoot. To view the entire set you can click on: http://www.dukovacphoto.com/Client-Photographs/Models/Gabriela-Mella-Caro-2/11301039_xo3sC#795302655_uV8in

Anyhow, enjoy!
    C&C Welcome

Take Care,
    Joe

795312153_Dc3UX-XL.jpg

795311016_tAvWg-XL.jpg

795310607_A6WY5-XL.jpg

795309459_uen4S-XL.jpg

795306366_CApwR-XL.jpg

795303841_WzjwR-XL.jpg

795303290_TPSru-XL.jpg

795299772_WmBnm-XL.jpg